Windows 10: Can't remove a language from the language selector

Discus and support Can't remove a language from the language selector in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; After updating I got a problem with extra language in the language selector list. It was not there before update and now I cannot remove it. In the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Maksym_Vlasov, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Can't remove a language from the language selector

After updating I got a problem with extra language in the language selector list.

It was not there before update and now I cannot remove it.

In the language configuration screen I can see only two, the one I don't need is not present, so I cannot remove it. Here is the screenshot of the language panel and the configuration screen.

Can't remove a language from the language selector 5d77b074-b273-43ac-8139-0cf169fb858c?upload=true.png

Information from Winver: version 1903 build 18362.295

Also I tried to get the list of languages using command line and it is not there either.

==========================

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-WinUserLanguageList

LanguageTag : uk

Autonym : українська

EnglishName : Ukrainian

LocalizedName : українська

ScriptName : Кирилиця

InputMethodTips : {0422:00020422}

Spellchecking : True

Handwriting : False

LanguageTag : en-US

Autonym : English (United States)

EnglishName : English

LocalizedName : англійська (США)

ScriptName : Латинська

InputMethodTips : {0409:00000409}

Spellchecking : True

Handwriting : False

==========================

Please let me know how to get rid of it ! Thanks in advance

:)

Maksym_Vlasov, Aug 18, 2019

2. Removing Language

If you add a secondary language to Windows 10 version 1803 that shares the same base language as the Windows display language, neither language can be removed.

For example: If English (United Kingdom) is the current Windows display language, and you then add English (India) to the Preferred languages list, afterwards neither English (United Kingdom) nor English (India) can be removed from the Preferred languages list.

Note: The most notable effect of having multiple related languages in the Preferred languages list is additional entries in the text input selector. You can remove unwanted language list entries using these steps:

1. From the Start menu, search for powershell.

2. Right-click Windows Powershell in the search results and choose Run as administrator.

3. Type or copy/paste the following command at the command prompt, and then press Enter.

Get-WinUserLanguageList

After typing this command, make note of the “LanguageTag” listed for the language you wish to remove, as you will need it in the next step.

4. Type or copy/paste each of the following commands at the command prompt, and then press Enter. In the following commands, instead of typing <languagecode>, replace it with the language tag you wish to remove, such as en-in for English (India).

$LangList = Get-WinUserLanguageList

$MarkedLang = $LangList | where LanguageTag -eq "<languagecode>"

$LangList.Remove($MarkedLang)

Set-WinUserLanguageList $LangList -Force

Andre Da Costa, Aug 18, 2019
  3. Can't remove extra language in language bar

If you add a secondary language to Windows 10 version 1803 that shares the same base language as the Windows display language, neither language can be removed.

For example: If English (United Kingdom) is the current Windows display language, and you then add English (India) to the Preferred languages list, afterwards neither English (United Kingdom) nor English (India) can be removed from the Preferred languages list.

Note: The most notable effect of having multiple related languages in the Preferred languages list is additional entries in the text input selector. You can remove unwanted language list entries using these steps:

2. Right-click Windows Powershell in the search results and choose Run as administrator.

3. Type or copy/paste the following command at the command prompt, and then press Enter.

Get-WinUserLanguageList

After typing this command, make note of the “LanguageTag” listed for the language you wish to remove, as you will need it in the next step.

4. Type or copy/paste each of the following commands at the command prompt, and then press Enter. In the following commands, instead of typing <languagecode>, replace it with the language tag you wish to remove, such as en-in for English (India).

Andre for Directly, Aug 18, 2019
  4. Can't remove a language from the language selector

Can't remove a language

Get-WinUserLanguageList

Andre Da Costa, Aug 18, 2019
Thema:

Can't remove a language from the language selector

1. Can't remove a language from the language selector - Similar Threads - Can't remove language

2. Can't remove language from language bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't remove language from language bar: I have installed windows 11 by upgrading from windows 10.I have only 2 languages on windows 10.After on Windows 11 I have now 4 languages 1 Ukrainian with 2 keyboards, and can't remove second one.And I have 2 English keyboards - US, GBI have added these languages to Language...
  3. Can't remove language from language bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't remove language from language bar: I have installed windows 11 by upgrading from windows 10.I have only 2 languages on windows 10.After on Windows 11 I have now 4 languages 1 Ukrainian with 2 keyboards, and can't remove second one.And I have 2 English keyboards - US, GBI have added these languages to Language...
  4. Can't remove extra languages

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't remove extra languages: Below might be confusing to understand, but PowerShell claims I only have 2 keyboard layouts and so does Windows settings although the 'keyboard switcher' claims to have 4 languages, 2 of which I do not want. Does anyone have advice to remove these extra languages? I have...
  5. Random languages in language selector

in Windows 10 Customization
    Random languages in language selector: Hi,Windows keeps adding random languages to my language selector. These are languages I did not select anywhere.I want EnglishUnited States to my default one and I want also Hungarian so I can switch between them with Win+Space.Some info:pic 1 Here you can see only 2...
  6. Can't remove input languages

Can't remove input languages: Windows just went crazy with input languages when I played with date format and added many input languages. I removed all unwanted layouts in language settings under Time & Language settings, yet still the inputs are still there, and I still cycle through them when using...
  7. Can't remove keyboard languages

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't remove keyboard languages: Why do I see three English keyboards where I know I only installed one English keyboard? I need English (Australia) and Hebrew, but for some reason I have more than one English keyboard and I can't seem to find how to remove unneeded keyboard languages. 182828
  8. Can't remove unneeded languages

Can't remove unneeded languages: Hello, I have been trying to remove the German and English Zimbabwe languages from my keyboard input, but I cant find where. I've tried several suggestions that I found on this website but nothing worked. [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  9. Can't Remove Language

Can't Remove Language: Hello, I'm having some problems with language settings that I can't remove, when I press the windows button + space bar, it appears 4 languages, en-us and pt-br, and the other two is the same language but its a different format, the formats that I use is Portuguese Brazil...
  10. I can't remove a language from the list of display languages

I can't remove a language from the list of display languages: I bought a Lenovo pc in China that runs under a windows 10 pro system. However, when I tried to remove Chinese from the display language list, I found it interesting how Chinese could still be an option after I uninstalled the language pack. Chinese characters appear...