Windows 10: Can't remove disconnected (ghost) network device

Discus and support Can't remove disconnected (ghost) network device in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I recently had to change my motherboard, which went without any problems (from Z170 to Z270). I just updated the intel drivers and had to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Novgorod, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Novgorod Win User

Can't remove disconnected (ghost) network device

Hi,

I recently had to change my motherboard, which went without any problems (from Z170 to Z270). I just updated the intel drivers and had to re-activate Windows and that's all. However, the onboard LAN on the new board didn't replace the old one (both being integrated Intel I219-V NICs) but created a new device and a new ethernet interface called "Ethernet 2" (the other interfaces are from VMware and OpenVPN):

Can't remove disconnected (ghost) network device [​IMG]

I can't rename it to "Ethernet" because it already exists, i.e. from the previous motherboard.

So I looked into the device manager (show hidden devices option), and there it is:

Can't remove disconnected (ghost) network device [​IMG]

The first ghost network adapter device is the non-existent NIC from the old motherboard and I can't get rid of it. If I right-click on it and select "uninstall", it shows the uninstall dialog and a progress bar and when it's finished, the ghost device is still there! Even if I uninstall the new (#2) NIC first (which does remove it), the ghost one still can't be removed (and the #2 NIC reappears after a search for changed hardware, of course).

I don't know why the non-existent NIC is so persistent and I don't want to blindly delete registry entries because I found different suggestions. I also tried netsh int ip reset and winsock reset, which didn't help. Does anyone know how to get rid of that ghost NIC?

:)

Novgorod, Nov 6, 2018

2. Device Manager Un-Hiding Hidden Devices

When you connect a plug and play device, Windows Plug and Play manager detects it, finds and installs the driver. Device Manager lists the device with a solid icon.

The driver is only removed when you uninstall the device, not simply by disconnecting the device. When the device is disconnected, its driver is still installed. By default, Device Manager only displays connected devices. When you show hidden devices, note the Bluetooth icon you see is semi-transparent (not opaque). That indicates a "non-present" device. Sometimes also called a "ghost" device. The driver is still installed but the device is not currently detected (i.e. not connected).

Device can be disconnected when
    • Device unplugged (e.g. removing a USB device)
    • Turning a device OFF
    • Disabling the device in BIOS (then windows won't detect it) or
    • Device failure

So
    • Check BIOS as suggested
    • Check board connections
    • Can b/t be turned off by a switch? or keyboard combination?
    Also possible the b/t h/w failed

ComputerGeek, Nov 6, 2018
  3. Removing Ghost Printer

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you are facing some issues using Windows 10.

This might have occurred due to hardware conflicts.

Try the methods.

Method 1:

Uninstall the Printer Drivers.

Follow the steps given below to uninstall the Printer drivers.

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.

• Search for Printer Adapters and expand it.

• Right click on the Printer driver and select
      Uninstall.
    Method 2:

Note: Ghost devices are the previously installed devices which are not connected but the drivers for that device is still present in the computer and sometimes shows in the
    devices list.

To get rid of unwanted drivers, devices, or services, use the following steps:

• Open the Start menu.

• Swipe to the upper right corner to bring charm bar.

• Type cmd in search box.

• Select cmd from the displayed list, right click and
      Open as administrator.

• At the command prompt, type in
      set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and press Enter.
    (Note that nothing seems to happen. This is expected. You are actually setting an environment variable which is going to help you to see hidden devices.)

• On the next command prompt line, type
      devmgmt.msc and press Enter. This will launch the Windows Device Manager Console.

• In the Device Manager Console, from the
      View menu, select Show Hidden Devices.
    As you expand the different drivers and devices in the device manager, you will see not only the items that Windows currently detects as installed on your PC; but you will also see drivers, devices, and services which have
    been loaded in the past but were not uninstalled or are not currently started. You can find your offending device, right-click, and choose
    uninstall to remove it from the system completely.

Note that ghost devices, drivers, and services are “grayed” out, but that does not necessarily mean that you should delete all of them. Only remove items you know you do not need. Be careful that you do not change too many
    devices.

Once you have removed the ghost drivers completely from the system, try to reinstall the drivers for the Webcam and check if it helps.

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

Mayank Gupta10, Nov 6, 2018
  4. ajtronic Win User

"Ghost" devices

Oh okay. You cant remove it with this app anyways because it isn't listed as 'ghosted.'
    I was actually referring to the Bluetooth peripheral Device listed underneath all of the zeros, under "no device class specified."

For others' future reference:

ajtronic, Nov 6, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't remove disconnected (ghost) network device - Similar Threads - Can't remove disconnected

2. Probable ghost storage device, how to remove?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Probable ghost storage device, how to remove?: i've installed a game with terabox then deleted it entirely, but now there's a ghost device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/probable-ghost-storage-device-how-to-remove/5d93b565-7a97-4a3e-b682-26e3be29d8c2
  3. Probable ghost storage device, how to remove?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Probable ghost storage device, how to remove?: i've installed a game with terabox then deleted it entirely, but now there's a ghost device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/probable-ghost-storage-device-how-to-remove/5d93b565-7a97-4a3e-b682-26e3be29d8c2
  4. Probable ghost storage device, how to remove?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 11 Ghost USB device randomly connecting and disconnecting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Ghost USB device randomly connecting and disconnecting: I have an ASUS vivobook which I have used for about 1 year now and I have this problem with the USB devices.In device manager, it says there is an unknown USB device device descriptor failed that randomly connects and disconnects, sometimes in quick succession. However, this...
  6. Windows 11 Ghost USB device randomly connecting and disconnecting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Ghost USB device randomly connecting and disconnecting: I have an ASUS vivobook which I have used for about 1 year now and I have this problem with the USB devices.In device manager, it says there is an unknown USB device device descriptor failed that randomly connects and disconnects, sometimes in quick succession. However, this...
  7. ghost monitor removal

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    ghost monitor removal: I only have one monitor but display settings say i have two and that im using number 2, device manager reports it as generic non-pnp monitor, i can disable it or uninstall it from device settings but i still have the ghost monitor. If i uninstall it it just comes back after...
  8. network ghost printer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    network ghost printer: i have a ghost printer on my wireless network and it does not belong to me. never had this printer installed on my computer and can't figure out how to block it. the ip does not show up. any ideas?...
  9. Can't remove ghost devices from Family

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't remove ghost devices from Family: Can someone please help me remove ghost devices. I have a couple of devices that were under my kids' accounts. When I log into their individual Microsoft accounts and check the Devices page, I don't see the ghost device. But when I log in as me parent and go to the Family...
  10. "Ghost" devices

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "Ghost" devices: EDIT to save you time: This thread has some useful tools to help rid your computer of old driver packages and ghost devices. Turns out my issue was a registry problem, that was resolved on the 2nd page. ORIGINAL POST: Hey guys, I have this problem where a...