Windows 10: Can't remove English United States from Windows display language or Input Methods

Discus and support Can't remove English United States from Windows display language or Input Methods in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am using Windows 11 with English United Kingdom set as my language.It is my display language, my keyboard layout, speech and handwriting and my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by wotsit_thing, Jun 10, 2023.

1. Can't remove English United States from Windows display language or Input Methods

I am using Windows 11 with English United Kingdom set as my language.It is my display language, my keyboard layout, speech and handwriting and my administrative language setting including for welcome screen and system accounts, and new user accounts.No matter I do I cannot find a way so that English United States is not in the drop down list for Windows display language or on the Input Method near the clock.And on that point, there seems to be no way to hide the Input Selector in Windows 11 from the System Icons menu, which is frustrating.

:)

wotsit_thing, Jun 10, 2023
  2. churin Win User

English (United States) for adding language is greyed.

The step where a list of optional languages are displayed.

The US English is presently not installed, and there is no other language except a base language which came with W10 22H2.

Edit: So I just installed the US English. That is it. The US English is greyed because I took the first step of "Add Language" and forgot completing whole steps.

churin, Jun 10, 2023
  3. Kari Win User
    OK! Select Language: English (United Kingdom), English (United States)

This is basically quite simple:

• If you have UK English physical keyboard device and Windows input language set to UK English, all characters are typed as shown on keys on your keyboard
    • If you have US English physical keyboard device and Windows input language set to UK English (or any other not matching physical keyboard / Windows input language combination), some characters will not be typed as shown on the keys. An example: US keyboard device shows the @ sign on the number key 2, and it is typed in US English input language with SHIFT + 2, but a UK English input method user gets a " from that same key. The fact that the key on keyboard shows @ is irrelevant because the chosen input method is different than physical keyboard device, therefore in this example you get " from that key
    If you are unsure, if your physical keyboard device is not that of your chosen Windows input method, open an on-screen keyboard to compare them and see what key produces what character.

Real life example:

My US physical keyboard device, and a few examples of the above using it with my chosen Windows input language Finnish. Took the photo just now, sorry about how dirty the keyboard is *Wink. Numbers in picture refer to explanations below the picture:

Can't remove English United States from Windows display language or Input Methods 1485965630t-ok-select-language-english-united-kingdom-english-united-states-2016_04_11_12_35_071.png

1. My Logitech American layout keyboard device shows that the & sign is SHIFT + 7, however I get / with that keyboard combination as in Finnish layout. To get & sign I need SHIFT + 6 instead
    2. My keyboard device shows that the key #2 in picture above gives [ and {, however I get å and Å from that key
    3. My keyboard device shows that key #3 in picture gives ; and :, however I get ö and Ö from that key
    4. My keyboard device shows that SHIFT + key #4 in picture gives <, however I get semicolon ; from that key combination
    5. My keyboard device shows that SHIFT + key #5 in picture gives >, however I get colon : from that key combination
    What is written on a key on the physical keyboard device has absolutely nothing to do with what is typed with that key in Windows. The deciding factor is what input method is selected in Windows.

About Cortana, it needs computer location and display language to match (speech for that language must be installed). I have absolutely no Cortana issues, having UK English Windows 10 display language, location set to United Kingdom, using Finnish input language with a physical American keyboard device, being physically in Germany.

4. MrIndeed Win User

Can't remove English United States from Windows display language or Input Methods

How to remove English (United States) United Kingdom Keyboard

Hi,

No United States listed.

Can't remove English United States from Windows display language or Input Methods 204657d1537374840t-how-remove-english-united-states-united-kingdom-keyboard-screenshot-3-.png

MrIndeed, Jun 10, 2023
Thema:

Can't remove English United States from Windows display language or Input Methods

1. Can't remove English United States from Windows display language or Input Methods - Similar Threads - Can't remove English

2. Remove Windows Display Language: English United States

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove Windows Display Language: English United States: Hi.How do I remove English United States as a display language? English United States is not listed as a keyboard, as my region, or in any other visible Windows settings. However, I've got English United Kingdom and English United States as my two display languages. I've...
  3. Remove Windows Display Language: English United States

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove Windows Display Language: English United States: Hi.How do I remove English United States as a display language? English United States is not listed as a keyboard, as my region, or in any other visible Windows settings. However, I've got English United Kingdom and English United States as my two display languages. I've...
  4. Remove Windows Display Language: English United States

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Can't remove English United States from Windows display language or Input Methods

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't remove English United States from Windows display language or Input Methods: I am using Windows 11 with English United Kingdom set as my language.It is my display language, my keyboard layout, speech and handwriting and my administrative language setting including for welcome screen and system accounts, and new user accounts.No matter I do I cannot...
  6. The "switch input method" on the taskbar lists a corrupted English United States entry...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The "switch input method" on the taskbar lists a corrupted English United States entry...: Windows 11 appears to have a bug.I am a UK resident and as such I followed the usual steps of adding the UK keyboard and removing the US keyboard. As with most non-US users, I have done countless times over the years on XP, Vista, 8, 8.1, 10 and now 11, traditionally via the...
  7. The "switch input method" on the taskbar lists a corrupted English United States entry...

The "switch input method" on the taskbar lists a corrupted English United States entry...: Windows 11 appears to have a bug.I am a UK resident and as such I followed the usual steps of adding the UK keyboard and removing the US keyboard. As with most non-US users, I have done countless times over the years on XP, Vista, 8, 8.1, 10 and now 11, traditionally via the...
  8. The "switch input method" on the taskbar lists English United States despite having...

The "switch input method" on the taskbar lists English United States despite having...: I hope I am wrong, but I think Windows 11 appears to have a bug.I am a UK resident and as such I followed the usual steps of adding the UK keyboard and removing the US keyboard. As with most non-US users, I have done countless times over the years on XP, Vista, 8, 8.1, 10 and...
  9. Windows Display Language Changed from English(India) to English(United States)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Display Language Changed from English(India) to English(United States): Hey I have a OEM Windows 10 Home Single Language and my Windows Display Language has been changed after May Update 1903 . from English(India) to English(United States) [ATTACH]I have upgraded my pc from October Update(1809) to May Update (1903) using Windows Update...
  10. OK! Select Language: English (United Kingdom), English (United States)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OK! Select Language: English (United Kingdom), English (United States): Hi there, When choosing the Win 10 install I am given these options: Select Language: English (United Kingdom), English (United States) are there any major differences? apart from the obvious one - certain words are spelt differently... thanks! [img] 46469