Windows 10: Cant remove ghost displays.

Discus and support Cant remove ghost displays. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have only one monitor plugged in with VGA cable, because it has innate HDMI. but then i go to display settings it shows i got 2 displays instead of 1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RamiJebawi, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Cant remove ghost displays.

I have only one monitor plugged in with VGA cable, because it has innate HDMI. but then i go to display settings it shows i got 2 displays instead of 1 and because of this i have been getting problems like programs going off screen and right clicking on the edge of display opens up random programs and options. i dont have an option that disconnects the Invisible Monitor. this is really frustrating and its not an issue from the parts since the problems was present the moment i booted the PC for the first time. there is no hardware issues or anything. please help me with this issue.

:)

RamiJebawi, Aug 20, 2020
  2. Novgorod Win User

Can't remove disconnected (ghost) network device

Thanks for the suggestion, but it can't remove the NIC:

Cant remove ghost displays. [​IMG]

It's the only Intel I219-V that shows up in the device list of the DeviceCleaner program (it shows only non-present devices as I understand). Otherwise, the tool works - I found a ghost replica of the integrated GPU (Intel HD 530) and could remove it. Only the NIC gives this error message on removal, which is probably the reason I can't remove it the normal way through the device manager.

Novgorod, Aug 20, 2020
  3. Removing Ghost Printer

I have exactly the same problem. I think it is just the entry in the list box that is the ghost item. But how to remove it?

Willem.deboer, Aug 20, 2020
  4. Cant remove ghost displays.

Removing Ghost Printer

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you are facing some issues using Windows 10.

This might have occurred due to hardware conflicts.

Try the methods.

Method 1:

Uninstall the Printer Drivers.

Follow the steps given below to uninstall the Printer drivers.

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.

• Search for Printer Adapters and expand it.

• Right click on the Printer driver and select
      Uninstall.
    Method 2:

Note: Ghost devices are the previously installed devices which are not connected but the drivers for that device is still present in the computer and sometimes shows in the
    devices list.

To get rid of unwanted drivers, devices, or services, use the following steps:

• Open the Start menu.

• Swipe to the upper right corner to bring charm bar.

• Type cmd in search box.

• Select cmd from the displayed list, right click and
      Open as administrator.

• At the command prompt, type in
      set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and press Enter.
    (Note that nothing seems to happen. This is expected. You are actually setting an environment variable which is going to help you to see hidden devices.)

• On the next command prompt line, type
      devmgmt.msc and press Enter. This will launch the Windows Device Manager Console.

• In the Device Manager Console, from the
      View menu, select Show Hidden Devices.
    As you expand the different drivers and devices in the device manager, you will see not only the items that Windows currently detects as installed on your PC; but you will also see drivers, devices, and services which have
    been loaded in the past but were not uninstalled or are not currently started. You can find your offending device, right-click, and choose
    uninstall to remove it from the system completely.

Note that ghost devices, drivers, and services are “grayed” out, but that does not necessarily mean that you should delete all of them. Only remove items you know you do not need. Be careful that you do not change too many
    devices.

Once you have removed the ghost drivers completely from the system, try to reinstall the drivers for the Webcam and check if it helps.

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

Mayank Gupta10, Aug 20, 2020
Thema:

Cant remove ghost displays.

1. Cant remove ghost displays. - Similar Threads - Cant remove ghost

2. Windows 11 display Issues - Ghosted programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 display Issues - Ghosted programs: I have a Windows 11 pc I built that I run without a monitor as a makeshift server. Ever since I upgrade to windows 11 it has given me display issues. There are times when I can't click on icons because it actually clicks further to the right or left than where I am trying to...
  3. Windows 11 display Issues - Ghosted programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 display Issues - Ghosted programs: I have a Windows 11 pc I built that I run without a monitor as a makeshift server. Ever since I upgrade to windows 11 it has given me display issues. There are times when I can't click on icons because it actually clicks further to the right or left than where I am trying to...
  4. Cant reconect monitor after "Remove this display"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant reconect monitor after "Remove this display": I just clicked on "Remove this display" on a certain monitor and the result was not what I expected. Now I want to restore it but windows dont recognize it anymore, not on the device list, nor when I try to add a new monitor....
  5. Cant reconect monitor after "Remove this display"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant reconect monitor after "Remove this display": I just clicked on "Remove this display" on a certain monitor and the result was not what I expected. Now I want to restore it but windows dont recognize it anymore, not on the device list, nor when I try to add a new monitor....
  6. Probable ghost storage device, how to remove?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Probable ghost storage device, how to remove?: i've installed a game with terabox then deleted it entirely, but now there's a ghost device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/probable-ghost-storage-device-how-to-remove/5d93b565-7a97-4a3e-b682-26e3be29d8c2
  7. ghost monitor removal

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    ghost monitor removal: I only have one monitor but display settings say i have two and that im using number 2, device manager reports it as generic non-pnp monitor, i can disable it or uninstall it from device settings but i still have the ghost monitor. If i uninstall it it just comes back after...
  8. Can't remove ghost devices from Family

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't remove ghost devices from Family: Can someone please help me remove ghost devices. I have a couple of devices that were under my kids' accounts. When I log into their individual Microsoft accounts and check the Devices page, I don't see the ghost device. But when I log in as me parent and go to the Family...
  9. how to remove ghost files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to remove ghost files: How to remove ghost files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-ghost-files/deed41af-e095-4914-8385-ca498e4e517d
  10. How to remove 'ghost' folder from desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove 'ghost' folder from desktop: Hi, i just got a folder looking icon on my desktop and i cant delete it . A screenshot snap is on drop box link below. It cant be archived or move to recycle bin or other folder, but can only be pin to Quick Access in explorer. Tried to delete from cmd prompt but not...