Windows 10: Can't remove read-only from folders

Discus and support Can't remove read-only from folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How to remove read-only from folders. All searched helps don't work.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MartaMacKenzie, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Can't remove read-only from folders

How to remove read-only from folders. All searched helps don't work.

:)

MartaMacKenzie, Sep 19, 2020
  2. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

3. Removing Windows.old folder

I recently had to reinstall my OS (don't ask). Once I did there were files that I couldn't delete. Basically SecuROM files. Anyway long story short I found this workaround that I wanted to share with my fellow newbs. This will work for any file and works like a charm. Just follow the directions. *Toast :toast:
    Note: there is no space between "Administrators: (F)" I just had to but one in because it kept giving me an "unhappy face"

When installing Windows Vista, Windows stores any existing installation of Windows on the install partition inside a hidden folder called windows.old. This folder could take up a large amount of disk space.

Note: Please check the contents of the windows.old folder before deleting it to make sure there are no files stored there that you may wish to keep.

Deleting the window.old folder using the disk cleanup wizard
    Click start
    Type: disk cleanup
    Press enter
    Select "Files from all users on this computer"
    Follow the rest of the instructions listed on the wizard and select the option to delete the windows.old folder
    Deleting the windows.old folder manually
    1) Open an elevated command prompt

Click start
    Type: cmd
    right-click it under programs
    click Run As Administrator
    2) Take ownership

Change the directory to the windows.old folder (e.g. cd c:\windows.old)
    Type: takeown /F . /A /R /D Y > NUL
    3) grant yourself permission

Type: icacls . /grant:r Administrators: (F) /T /L /Q
    4) Delete everything

Make sure you close any explorer or command windows that are looking at or inside the windows.old folder (except for the command window you are using). If you don't, you will receive an error while performing this step.

Type: cd ..
    Type: rmdir /S /Q windows.old

TheMailMan78, Sep 19, 2020
  4. Can't remove read-only from folders

Unable to remove read only property of folders

Hi,

There are many possible reasons why this issue is happening. Let's try to change the security permissions to remove the read-only attribute. Follow the steps below:

• Right-click the folder, then select Properties.
    • Go to Security tab, then click Advanced.
    • Click Change to the right of Owner.
    • Enter Users into the box, then click OK.
    • Enable the checkbox Replace owner on sub containers and objects, then click
      Apply.
    • If prompted that You do not have permissions to read, click Yes.
    • Completely close out of the Advanced Security Settings dialog.
    • Repeat step 1.
    • Go to Security tab, then click Edit.
    • Select Add.
    • Enter Users into the box and click OK.
    • Enable the Full Control checkbox, then click OK.
    Get back to us with the outcome so we can help you out further.

Martin Bar, Sep 19, 2020
Thema:

Can't remove read-only from folders

1. Can't remove read-only from folders - Similar Threads - Can't remove read

2. how to remove read only from windows 10 folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to remove read only from windows 10 folders: I found this:Right-click the folder, then select Properties.Go to Security tab, then click Advanced.Click Change to the right of Owner.Enter Users into the box, then click OK.Enable the checkbox Replace owner on sub containers and objects, then click Apply.If prompted that...
  3. Can't Remove "READ ONLY" Attribute Setting from Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Remove "READ ONLY" Attribute Setting from Folder: For some reason, a folder with some important data I have stored is sett as "Read Only." In the Security settings, permission is given to every user to modify the files and such, which is something I'm trying to do with a QGIS project I'm working on. For whatever reason, it...
  4. Can't Remove "READ ONLY" Attribute Setting from Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Remove "READ ONLY" Attribute Setting from Folder: For some reason, a folder with some important data I have stored is sett as "Read Only." In the Security settings, permission is given to every user to modify the files and such, which is something I'm trying to do with a QGIS project I'm working on. For whatever reason, it...
  5. Cannot remove "Read-Only" attribute from "ModifiableWindowsApps" folder

Cannot remove "Read-Only" attribute from "ModifiableWindowsApps" folder: Hi- so recently ive been trying to mod Fallout 4 from game pass with little issue- except for the fact that I dont have authoring permissions on the file. I have Enabled mods within the XBOX app and have tried setting permissions to Everyone, but no dice.This is frustrating...
  6. Cannot remove "Read-Only" attribute from "ModifiableWindowsApps" folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot remove "Read-Only" attribute from "ModifiableWindowsApps" folder: Hi- so recently ive been trying to mod Fallout 4 from game pass with little issue- except for the fact that I dont have authoring permissions on the file. I have Enabled mods within the XBOX app and have tried setting permissions to Everyone, but no dice.This is frustrating...
  7. Cannot remove "Read-Only" attribute from "ModifiableWindowsApps" folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Unable to remove read-only attribute from folders

Unable to remove read-only attribute from folders: updated my nvidia graphics driver, started getting blue screen crashes. System restore did not correct. Found an nvidia sound device had been installed. Removed it and crashes stopped.Since then my folders are all read only and cannot be changed.Completed windows updaterun...
  9. Cannot Remove Read-Only from Folder

Cannot Remove Read-Only from Folder: I can't remove read-only from a folder. I am the owner of that folder and when I apply the changes it back to read-only. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-remove-read-only-from-folder/ec39ccf0-5dfc-4e6a-8dff-ef4596a83cef"
  10. Can't unmark Read only from folder.

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't unmark Read only from folder.: Hi there, I cant make a folder to full access. It remains as READ only always, when I try to unmark the square mark. Its like there in all of my files and folders. Do anything special to do to make them full access other than unmarking read only ? Thank You. 12513