Windows 10: can't remove/rename folder with dot at the end

Discus and support can't remove/rename folder with dot at the end in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Please consider a situation - a folder was created named "example." notice the dot at the endit's being displayed as "example."attempt of opening... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by RafalBobik, May 22, 2022.

1. can't remove/rename folder with dot at the end

Please consider a situation - a folder was created named "example." notice the dot at the endit's being displayed as "example."attempt of opening results in: error - location is unavailable* and in the error message body the path is displayed as "C:\example" - no dotattempt of removing results in: error - location is unavailable* same as aboveattempt of renaming results in: error - can't find element* and in the error message body the folder name is displayed as "example." - with dotI also tried elevated cmd commands ran in the directory containing the broken folder:del /f example.re

:)

RafalBobik, May 22, 2022

2. Can't rename folder.

Thank you for following the steps. What we can try is using the Command Prompt to rename the folder. Kindly follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key and type "command prompt".
    • Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
    • Enter this command: cd /X: (X represents the drive where the folder is).
    • Copy and paste this command after entering the first one: icacls * /T /Q /C /RESET.

Feel free to contact us if you need assistance with Windows

Dennis Mop, May 22, 2022
  3. files and folders "renaming music folder to audio"

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

• Are you facing any issues in renaming folder?
    • When you say, "music folder does not apply anymore as a primary designation" what exactly are you referring to?
    Follow the steps below to rename folder:

• Right click on a folder which you want to rename.
    • Select Rename and enter new name for it.
    Hope this helps. Kindly get back to us with the above details to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, May 22, 2022
  4. can't remove/rename folder with dot at the end

Can't rename folder.

Hi Howard,

It is possible that the difficulty renaming your folder is due to access/account limitation or a recent change was made on your computer. For better assistance, please answer the following questions:

• Are you getting an error message when trying to rename the folder?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried?
    • Can you send us a screenshot of the "Public" folders?

We will be waiting for your response.

Dennis Mop, May 22, 2022
Thema:

can't remove/rename folder with dot at the end

1. can't remove/rename folder with dot at the end - Similar Threads - can't remove rename

2. Can't delete/move/rename a folder with 3 dots ... at the end. "Location is not available"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete/move/rename a folder with 3 dots ... at the end. "Location is not available": Being a bit vague on purposeI wrote a program that creates folders and files in AppData based on the names of other items in the program. I carelessly gave some of those items names that were phrases, ending with three dots. Example: "This file is beautiful... "Everything...
  3. Can't delete/move/rename a folder with 3 dots ... at the end. "Location is not available"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete/move/rename a folder with 3 dots ... at the end. "Location is not available": Being a bit vague on purposeI wrote a program that creates folders and files in AppData based on the names of other items in the program. I carelessly gave some of those items names that were phrases, ending with three dots. Example: "This file is beautiful... "Everything...
  4. Can't delete/move/rename a folder with 3 dots ... at the end. "Location is not available"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. can't remove/rename folder with dot at the end

can't remove/rename folder with dot at the end: Please consider a situation - a folder was created named "example." notice the dot at the endit's being displayed as "example."attempt of opening results in: error - location is unavailable* and in the error message body the path is displayed as "C:\example" - no dotattempt...
  6. can't remove/rename folder with dot at the end

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't remove/rename folder with dot at the end: Please consider a situation - a folder was created named "example." notice the dot at the endit's being displayed as "example."attempt of opening results in: error - location is unavailable* and in the error message body the path is displayed as "C:\example" - no dotattempt...
  7. Can't Rename a Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Rename a Folder: I'm trying to get rid of duplicate photos. I used CCleaner which showed duplicates in:"C:\Users\Phil\Documents\Pictures\iCloud Photos\Downloads.old"When I look at it, it's path is:"C:\Users\Phil\Documents\Pictures\iCloud Photos\Downloads". When I look at the file, the name is...
  8. Can't rename folders

Can't rename folders: I created a new folder on my surface pro on the C Drive. When I attempt to rename it by tapping on the folder, and then clicking rename it allows me into the folder name, but the minute I bring up the virtual keyboard the focus changes, and I am no longer on the folder name...
  9. Can't rename a folder.

Can't rename a folder.: I love when Explorer won't allow me to rename a folder, when literally nothing is using the folder at all in any **** i n g way, you **** h o l e s. It doesn't even have the courtesy to tell me what ghost program is using the folder....
  10. Cannot Rename Folder with a Dot (".")

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Rename Folder with a Dot ("."): Hello! I have a kind of unusual problem. I have a couple folders with music in them, but the albums have dots in their titles. The two issues I'm currently having are with "I Love You." by the Neighbourhood and "Promises Ltd." by Promises Ltd. I've tried renaming them...