Windows 10: Can't remove university OneDrive from File Explorer

Discus and support Can't remove university OneDrive from File Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've followed all the instructions I can find online about unlinking a One Drive account from my laptop, but no matter what I do it continues to show... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NinaAttridge, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Can't remove university OneDrive from File Explorer

I've followed all the instructions I can find online about unlinking a One Drive account from my laptop, but no matter what I do it continues to show in file explorer!

- I unlinked the account (right clicked on the blue cloud, settings, unlink account)

- Right clicked the blue cloud in file explorer and looked for 'unpin from quick access', I don't have this option - only 'pin to quick access'

- I tried all the fixes here:

-The first fix doesn't work because when I search the 'HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT'etc nothing comes up.

-The second fix doesn't work - when I uninstalled OneDrive, my old university account still shows on file explorer, even though the personal one has gone!

-The third fix doesn't work because when I search 'gpedit.msc', nothing comes up.

I can't believe how stubborn this thing is! Does anyone have any ideas?

:)

NinaAttridge, Nov 7, 2019
  2. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP 2010-20, Nov 7, 2019
  3. Why were SMART Files Removed from OneDrive in Windows 10?

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

This article details why SMART files, also known as placeholder files, were removed from OneDrive in Windows 10.

Details

OneDrive has gone through many changes in Windows 10, most notably the removal of SMART files (placeholder files) from OneDrive. They still exist in Windows 8.1, however they were removed, hopefully temporarily, from OneDrive in Windows 10 because of the
    fragmented sync engines between OneDrive on Windows 7/Mac, OneDrive on Windows 8.1, and OneDrive for Business. The following article details what changes the OneDrive team made and why they made them:

Taking the Next Step in
    OneDrive

From a development point of view, it's a much better approach to consolidate their codebase, but from a user point of view, it's very frustrating.

Like many of us, if you want that feature back, please vote for it here on the OneDrive UserVoice page:

OneDrive UserVoice: "Sync online only" for Ondrive

Getting Started with OneDrive and Choosing Folders

To get started with OneDrive in Windows 10, please review these pages to familiarize yourself with the tools new processes:

Since you cannot choose which files are Available Online-only and Available Offline, you can choose the folders you want to sync. Review these two pages:

stanimal21, Nov 7, 2019
  4. Can't remove university OneDrive from File Explorer

Remove OneDrive from File Explorer

I had to reinstall Windows 10 recently. While I was copying my files to C:\users\[MyName] I discovered that Microsoft pushed the OneDrive service and linked automatically, messing everything with the 5GB limit.

I unlinked OneDrive and later uninstalled from Windows. The issue now is that Windows left OneDrive at File Explorer as a subfolder inside C:\users with their own Documents, Pictures and Videos. And all softwares that are installed make reference to OneDrive.

I tried to remove, but I couldn't make it. Some people recommended changing registry HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6} which is not available in my version of Windows 10 Home.

Any suggestion?

RickSP_1970, Nov 7, 2019
Thema:

Can't remove university OneDrive from File Explorer

1. Can't remove university OneDrive from File Explorer - Similar Threads - Can't remove university

2. can't remove OneDrive Folder from my file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't remove OneDrive Folder from my file explorer: here's what i tried to remove this folder from this panel1: install one drive and then logout of my college account2: right click and Delete there's no delete option3: right click then copy the path, go to the path and create a folder with this name then delete it...
  3. can't remove OneDrive Folder from my file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can't remove OneDrive Folder from my file explorer: here's what i tried to remove this folder from this panel1: install one drive and then logout of my college account2: right click and Delete there's no delete option3: right click then copy the path, go to the path and create a folder with this name then delete it...
  4. Can't remove old OneDrive from file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't remove old OneDrive from file explorer: I have two OneDrive directories that appear in my file explorer: my old school drive, and my personal drive. I would like to get rid of my school drive, but keep my personal drive. I can't sign out of my school drive because I haven't had access to my school account in years,...
  5. Can't remove old OneDrive from file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't remove old OneDrive from file explorer: I have two OneDrive directories that appear in my file explorer: my old school drive, and my personal drive. I would like to get rid of my school drive, but keep my personal drive. I can't sign out of my school drive because I haven't had access to my school account in years,...
  6. Can't remove old OneDrive from file explorer

7. Can't remove company Onedrive folder from File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't remove company Onedrive folder from File Explorer: I have tried many solutions from the net. Managed to remove all content. When I click the icon, this pop-up that says 'Location is not availble' appears. But what I ultimately need is for the icon of OneDrive-Kantar to disappear, but it will keep hanging on the file explorer....
  8. Can't remove company Onedrive folder from File Explorer

Can't remove company Onedrive folder from File Explorer: I have tried many solutions from the net. Managed to remove all content. When I click the icon, this pop-up that says 'Location is not availble' appears. But what I ultimately need is for the icon of OneDrive-Kantar to disappear, but it will keep hanging on the file explorer....
  9. Can't remove OneDrive folder from Windows Explorer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't remove OneDrive folder from Windows Explorer.: I no longer work for an employer so I don't have access to the OneDrive. I tried unlinking it from my PC so now I don't even see it in the OneDrive app, but its still in my Windows Explorer. I deleted all the files and folders within that folder, but the parent folder still...
  10. Remove OneDrive from File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove OneDrive from File Explorer: I had to reinstall Windows 10 recently. While I was copying my files to C:\users\[MyName] I discovered that Microsoft pushed the OneDrive service and linked automatically, messing everything with the 5GB limit. I unlinked OneDrive and later uninstalled from Windows. The...