Windows 10: Can't Remove Users

Discus and support Can't Remove Users in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; So I'm trying to remove my Dad's account off of my laptop, and even though I was the first user on this laptop, I can't remove him. I've already looked... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Snamorta, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Snamorta Win User

Can't Remove Users

So I'm trying to remove my Dad's account off of my laptop, and even though I was the first user on this laptop, I can't remove him. I've already looked at the guide on adding and removing users but it didn't help. Does anyone know how to fix this?? I can't download anything or even open Google Chrome until I remove his account.

:)

Snamorta, Apr 4, 2021

2. Removing a "hidden" user and user files

Thanks for your patience. I was able with "Net User" to remove the left over user. It no longer appears when I invoke Net User.

Now for the user's folder which remains behind. After performing the series of steps that you suggested, I attempted to delete this folder. The result again was an error message about permission
    Can't Remove Users 1579d3b5-d6d3-4481-ad8c-0dae5f689a1a.jpg

"Administrators" appears on the list in the list of advanced security.

RobertOBollinger, Apr 4, 2021
  3. Vesao Win User
    Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, Apr 4, 2021
  4. deving Win User

Can't Remove Users

User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Apr 4, 2021
Thema:

Can't Remove Users

1. Can't Remove Users - Similar Threads - Can't Remove Users

2. why can't i add or remove user of a file or folder.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    why can't i add or remove user of a file or folder.: why can't i add or remove user of a file or folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-add-or-remove-user-of-a-file-or-folder/de4c8c57-e0d3-498d-8c9b-33114fef13cf
  3. why can't i add or remove user of a file or folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why can't i add or remove user of a file or folder.: why can't i add or remove user of a file or folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-add-or-remove-user-of-a-file-or-folder/de4c8c57-e0d3-498d-8c9b-33114fef13cf
  4. Removing a User.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Removing a User.: I seemingly removed a user and he no longer shows up as a user when subsequently I try to remove users as recommended in previous posts....but...when turning on my computer He still shows up initially as the first sign on user. How do I correct this problem?...
  5. Removing a User.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing a User.: I seemingly removed a user and he no longer shows up as a user when subsequently I try to remove users as recommended in previous posts....but...when turning on my computer He still shows up initially as the first sign on user. How do I correct this problem?...
  6. Removing a User.

7. Removal of user

Removal of user: How do I remove a user from my devise https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removal-of-user/421cca21-1ac5-4d98-893e-77f9432829f9
  8. can't remove second phantom user at login

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    can't remove second phantom user at login: Hi All, I've got a problem I can't wrap my head around. I am giving my laptop to a young person and can't remove a phantom second user that popped up after I supposedly removed all of my info from Windows 10 ver. 2004. I have deleted the laptop from my microsoft account's...
  9. Remove User

Remove User: I have tried everything thru control panel and settings to remove a user and I cannot. I bought my pc from a vendor who had it on display and added themselves as a user. Please help me. I cannot delete, copy or change the folder at all. There are no folders open and I have...
  10. Can't remove provisioned apps for domain user accounts

Can't remove provisioned apps for domain user accounts: Hi, I'm trying to remove all provisioned app from Windows 10 so that it's removed for any user that logs into the domain account but it's not working. This is what I did: I ran Power Shell as administrator and executed the command "Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -Online |...