Windows 10: Can't remove virtual disks completely

Discus and support Can't remove virtual disks completely in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm creating a lot of differencing disks for my project and deleting them after some time. I use "detach vdisk" command, they disappear from disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by fandrei, Oct 25, 2020.

1. fandrei Win User

Can't remove virtual disks completely

I'm creating a lot of differencing disks for my project and deleting them after some time.

I use "detach vdisk" command, they disappear from disk management but they are not completely removed...

When i use "list vdisk" command there is a huge list with all the virtual disks ever attached:

Can't remove virtual disks completely 27113dc6-9f0a-4660-93fc-ea2078a32770?upload=true.png

I couldn't find a way to clear this and I have no idea if it will impact performance at some point. Does anyone know where all this info is stored and how to remove it?

:)

fandrei, Oct 25, 2020
  2. Aaron_Sum Win User

Can't remove Hyper-V Virtual Hard Drive partition

Hi Robert,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing an issue when you are trying to remove the Hyper-V Virtual Hard Drive partition. This partition is just a virtual partition that is created by using the space within your physical hard disk, so that
    it can be used within Hyper-V. Since you are no longer using Hyper-V and you wish to remove the Virtual Hard Drive partition, I would suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it is helpful to you.

Steps to remove the Virtual Hard Drive partition using Disk Management:

1. Press the Windows key and
      R key, this will open the Run dialogue box for you.
    2. Type diskmgmt.msc and press
      Enter, this will open the Disk Management Window for you.
    3. Your Virtual Hard Drive will be indicated by a ‘blue’ drive beside the
      Disk n (n is the disk number to which the VHD is associated), select the allocated
      Volume, right-click and select Delete Volume. You can check the picture below for your reference.

Can't remove virtual disks completely a9bbe536-f604-4912-9a6e-fdb56b275e03?upload=true.png

4. You will receive a prompt, click on
      Yes. This will delete the volume allocated to the Virtual Hard Drive and the space allocated will now be turned into an
      Unallocated space.
    5. To detach the Virtual Hard Drive completely,
      right-click on the Disk and select Detach VHD.
    6. You will receive a prompt, you may click on the check box to
      Delete the virtual hard disk after removing the disk. Click on
      OK

This will remove the Hyper-V Virtual Hard Drive partition from your system.

If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to post your query in IT Pro

TechNet
    forums, where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on the issues with Hyper-V and Virtual Hard Drive to assist you with your query.

Regards,

Aaron Summith

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Aaron_Sum, Oct 25, 2020
  3. Zeshan360 Win User
    i have a virtual disk problem

Hello Sir\Mam

My Name is Zeshan Anwer. and I use windows 10. I were try to get updates of windows 10. but in those update.

i am being force to install Microsoft Virtual drive? I were not needed it. i only wanted to keep my windows updated so i could use it for longer period of time. but due to this virtual disk I don`t have any space left for using windows. kindly help me in
    removing this virtual drive. I have checked on Youtube and google for its solution but my prompt and disk management cant remove it. i even uninstall it from driver list but it still install itself. please please help me in completely remove this virtual drive
    so i could be able to use my windows.

I shall be Thankful to you if you help me.

your obediently,

Zeshan Anwer

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

or

facebook.com\shani720

Zeshan360, Oct 25, 2020
  4. Can't remove virtual disks completely

Virtual disk service wont start

Hi,

Thank you for showing interest on Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to assist you.

I suggest you to start the Virtual Disk Service and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + R from the Keyboard.
    • Type services.msc and hit Enter.
    • In the Services Window, look for Virtual Disk service and
      Stop
      it.
    • Restart the computer and Start the Virtual Disk
      service and set it to Automatic.
    • Restart the computer and it check if it works.
    Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on
    Windows 10 help & how-to

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/support

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Oct 25, 2020
Thema:

Can't remove virtual disks completely

1. Can't remove virtual disks completely - Similar Threads - Can't remove virtual

2. Virtual Disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Virtual Disk: What is Virtual Disk ? how does it relate to a VM https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-disk/6cadb439-5fb2-4b95-bbdf-3de2d6e75c0a
  3. Virtual Disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual Disk: What is Virtual Disk ? how does it relate to a VM https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-disk/6cadb439-5fb2-4b95-bbdf-3de2d6e75c0a
  4. Virtual Disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Microsoft Virtual Disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft Virtual Disk: I found a "Microsoft Virtual Disk" connected in Disk Drives in Device Manager. I did not set this up and am wondering how it attached. I also recieved notification about disk space but thought nothing of it until I saw the connected virtual drive. Can someone please explain...
  6. Mystery Virtual Disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mystery Virtual Disk: I've got a mystery virtual disk and I have no idea what it is, where it is or where it came from. I can see it in Device Manager, I can see it in Intel SSD toolbox, but there's nothing in Disk Management. I've unhidden empty drives and files too. [img] [img] [img] 159690
  7. Virtual Disk

in Windows 10 Customization
    Virtual Disk: Good day. I have created a 10GB virtual disk in disk management and would like to reassign it back to my hard disk. Thank you for your help and reply. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-disk/1d29f5f3-4f7f-4133-8356-6f254ff1c690
  8. Virtual disk

Virtual disk: Hello there, Recently I came to know that we can increase the hard disk storage up to 64 TB no matter how much is our real disk space. I followed the procedure and got 2 TB. I didn`t get how that is possible? Does it really mean that now my hard disk storage is 2.5 TB?...
  9. virtual disk manager

virtual disk manager: i just upgraded to a samsung ssd on my lenovo t580. when i try to create a new simple volume it gives me this error. (disk 1 is my old hdd plugged in through a usb cable). i would prefer to merge the unallocated space with the C: drive, but that does not appear to be possible...
  10. Virtual hard disk can't be mounted ...

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual hard disk can't be mounted ...: Hello everybody, recently I've installed Windows 8,1 Pro version on my laptop and today I'm trying to install Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise. I've have it on CD but when I'm trying to run it there's a message that says : "Virtual hard disk files can't be mounted from...