Windows 10: Can't Rename a Folder

Discus and support Can't Rename a Folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to get rid of duplicate photos. I used CCleaner which showed duplicates in:"C:\Users\Phil\Documents\Pictures\iCloud... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by phrab, May 24, 2021.

1. phrab Win User

Can't Rename a Folder

I'm trying to get rid of duplicate photos. I used CCleaner which showed duplicates in:"C:\Users\Phil\Documents\Pictures\iCloud Photos\Downloads.old"When I look at it, it's path is:"C:\Users\Phil\Documents\Pictures\iCloud Photos\Downloads". When I look at the file, the name is "Downloads". However, the Downloads/Properties\Sharing tab shows the path:\\PHILSCOMPUTER\Users\Phil\Documents\Pictures\iCloud Photos\Downloads.old I'm not sure what's going on, but I'd like to rename the folder to Downloads & don't know how to do it.I can't seem to rename it. I suppose that I can just create a new sub folder named "Downloads" in the iCloud Photos folder & move everything into it & then delete Downloads.old.Can anyone explain how this happened?Thank you in advance.

:)

phrab, May 24, 2021

2. Can't rename folder.

Thank you for following the steps. What we can try is using the Command Prompt to rename the folder. Kindly follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key and type "command prompt".
    • Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
    • Enter this command: cd /X: (X represents the drive where the folder is).
    • Copy and paste this command after entering the first one: icacls * /T /Q /C /RESET.

Feel free to contact us if you need assistance with Windows

Dennis Mop, May 24, 2021
  3. files and folders "renaming music folder to audio"

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

• Are you facing any issues in renaming folder?
    • When you say, "music folder does not apply anymore as a primary designation" what exactly are you referring to?
    Follow the steps below to rename folder:

• Right click on a folder which you want to rename.
    • Select Rename and enter new name for it.
    Hope this helps. Kindly get back to us with the above details to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, May 24, 2021
  4. Can't Rename a Folder

Can't rename folder.

Hi Howard,

It is possible that the difficulty renaming your folder is due to access/account limitation or a recent change was made on your computer. For better assistance, please answer the following questions:

• Are you getting an error message when trying to rename the folder?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried?
    • Can you send us a screenshot of the "Public" folders?

We will be waiting for your response.

Dennis Mop, May 24, 2021
Thema:

Can't Rename a Folder

1. Can't Rename a Folder - Similar Threads - Can't Rename Folder

2. I can't rename folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't rename folder: i can't rename my folder even i make a new folder[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-rename-folder/8ed71184-89b3-4822-b9f1-168ebe235361
  3. Can't Delete or Rename my folders?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't Delete or Rename my folders?: Made some new folders recently and I can't rename or even delete them. The option is grayed out and I can't select it. I checked for permission on the security section and it said that I have full access to modify them. Never experience this before. Does anyone know how to...
  4. I can't rename the folder

I can't rename the folder: after the update my window 10. I can't rename the folder or I can't move the folder..this problem show [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-rename-the-folder/2b7d7977-8ab0-4260-b267-1154dfc1f626
  5. Can't rename folders

Can't rename folders: I created a new folder on my surface pro on the C Drive. When I attempt to rename it by tapping on the folder, and then clicking rename it allows me into the folder name, but the minute I bring up the virtual keyboard the focus changes, and I am no longer on the folder name...
  6. Can't rename folders in Windows?

Can't rename folders in Windows?: I have a rather complex problem: At first I couldn't install and uninstall many programs, until I found out that I created my Windows username with altcodes, Windows shows me many things wrong, often doesn't recognize the folder because it converts the symbols, so the exe...
  7. Can't rename a folder.

Can't rename a folder.: I love when Explorer won't allow me to rename a folder, when literally nothing is using the folder at all in any **** i n g way, you **** h o l e s. It doesn't even have the courtesy to tell me what ghost program is using the folder....
  8. Can't rename folder in Win 10

Can't rename folder in Win 10: Some upgrade must have changed Win 10 re not being able to change the name of a folder. When I type the new name it will only take 3 letters then revert to 'New Folder'. If I don't try to type in a new name it reverts after a few seconds. It worked normally until just a...
  9. Can't move or rename folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't move or rename folders: When I try to move or rename a folder I get Can't find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name. It seems that right-clicking would tell windows where the folder is. When I make a new folder it comes as Folder 1, Folder 2 etc. When I...
  10. Can't rename or move folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't rename or move folders: Hello, After installing KB3124200 & KB3116900 updates, I'm no longer able to rename or move folders. When I try, it gives the error "Can't find the specified file". I have done sfc /scannow but it didn't help. Also, I have run default file associations registry files...