Windows 10: Can't rename any drive to "M"

Discus and support Can't rename any drive to "M" in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I try to rename any drive, external or internal, the drive isn't seen in "This PC". Any other letter works fine. The renamed drive can be seen and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JayceeM, Apr 15, 2019.

1. JayceeM Win User

Can't rename any drive to "M"

When I try to rename any drive, external or internal, the drive isn't seen in "This PC". Any other letter works fine. The renamed drive can be seen and even accessed (right click > open) in Disk Management or MiniTool. It was suggested that I try "mountvol /r" but to no avail. Of course the easy fix is to just pick another designation. But that would keep me up at night.

Any ideas?

Thanks

:)

JayceeM, Apr 15, 2019

2. Can't rename folder.

Thank you for following the steps. What we can try is using the Command Prompt to rename the folder. Kindly follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key and type "command prompt".
    • Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
    • Enter this command: cd /X: (X represents the drive where the folder is).
    • Copy and paste this command after entering the first one: icacls * /T /Q /C /RESET.

Feel free to contact us if you need assistance with Windows

Dennis Mop, Apr 15, 2019
  3. amd5750m Win User
    rename inf

I have a 7670m 1gb driver crimson legacy, how to rename my 7670m (which in driver detects as 7600m) to 8670m?

I am something new in this I would appreciate it if you would give me all the steps since I am very interested

I use win 7

his is what I try to do but not rename these files

Does someone have a step for newbies?

this is more or less the idea in the link

16.101.X [Pre-GCN driver pack]

amd5750m, Apr 15, 2019
  4. nate_995 Win User

unable to rename external hard drive

I tried what you said, but it still says "you need permission to perform this action". I have access to everything on the drive. It is only the autorun.inf that i no longer have access to and because of that when i rename the drive it shows the new name
    in disk management but it stays the same in my computer. I am using windows 10 pro.

nate_995, Apr 15, 2019
Thema:

1. Can't rename any drive to "M" - Similar Threads - Can't rename drive

2. I can't rename any Files or Folders. No error message, regardless of drive or folder...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't rename any Files or Folders. No error message, regardless of drive or folder...: I can't rename Files or Folders. No error message, regardless of location. Clicking Rename on Right Mouse Context Menu does nothing, F2 does nothing. Edition Windows 11 Home Version 23H2 Installed on ‎18/‎11/‎2022 OS build 22631.2715 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack...
  3. I can't rename any Files or Folders. No error message, regardless of drive or folder...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't rename any Files or Folders. No error message, regardless of drive or folder...: I can't rename Files or Folders. No error message, regardless of location. Clicking Rename on Right Mouse Context Menu does nothing, F2 does nothing. Edition Windows 11 Home Version 23H2 Installed on ‎18/‎11/‎2022 OS build 22631.2715 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack...
  4. Can't rename external drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't rename external drive: [img] Windows 10 v 1904. Want to rename external disk "X". System likes it as "D" in sequence. I can type in (X) but the (D) won't change. Can this be done? 171446
  5. Can't rename external drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't rename external drive: [img] Windows 10 v 1904. Want to rename external disk "X". System likes it as "D" in sequence. I can type in (X) but the (D) won't change. Can this be done? 171446
  6. Can't rename any calendars

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't rename any calendars: I've used Mail & Calendar in Windows 10 on a PC for the last several years. Just recently, it seems the option to rename any calendars, either the default calendar or the ones I created, is no longer available. I've tried using the app and on the web site but could not find...
  7. Can't rename any folder (error 0x80004005)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't rename any folder (error 0x80004005): Hi, I recently ran into a problem. When I try to rename any folder on my drive or in an external USB, an error "0x80004005" pops up and says: 'An unexpected error is keeping you from renaming the folder. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to...
  8. Can't rename my hard drives i think?

Can't rename my hard drives i think?: Yea this is strange i tried renaming my 500 GB SSD i just popped in, i have total ownership administrator rights, BUT when i right click select properties type in new name Documents "msgbox you need permissions bla bla" press ok, BUT NO NAME CHANGE. hmm i tried my other hard...
  9. Can't Rename Drive Label in Windows 10

Can't Rename Drive Label in Windows 10: I have named my USB flash drives (G,H) in Disk Management, but they continue to be unnamed in Windows Explorer. [img] I've tried everything in this tutorial: How to Rename Drive Label in Windows 10 without success. The only thing that does work is to set a default...
  10. Renaming a drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming a drive: Hi. Still learning Win 10 ways! I have installed a WD My Book backup drive, and Win 10 gave it the designation of my "G" drive. How do I change from "G" to a different unused letter? Thanks for your help. 28654