Windows 10: Can't rename Catroot2 and SoftwareDistribution folder in Windows 10

Discus and support Can't rename Catroot2 and SoftwareDistribution folder in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Microsoft team. I have an issue with my laptop where I cannot rename files with cmd and in admin mode too. It gives me access denied i'm trying to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ShahzebHussain, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Can't rename Catroot2 and SoftwareDistribution folder in Windows 10

Hi Microsoft team.

I have an issue with my laptop where I cannot rename files with cmd and in admin mode too. It gives me access denied i'm trying to change these files.

Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

I'm trying to fix windows update problems.

***Modify title from: Can't rename folders or files with cmd even in admin. ***

:)

ShahzebHussain, Dec 17, 2018
  2. BeeGeeJay Win User

windows 10 updates won't download and install

I have seen similar suggestions to other people reporting similar problems. I have tried the Windows Update troubleshooter, and it found nothing. Before I go to the next step, I want to clarify three points. First, I am not installing Windows 10. I
    am already running it. The other suggestions said to stop/start appidsvc, rather than misserver. Since I can't find misserver in the Services list, I assume appidsvc is correct. Second, the other suggestions to rename the Software Distribution and Catroot2
    folders said ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak and ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak. Does it matter whether I use those commands or the commands you suggested. Finally, should the .bak or .old folders be changed
    back to their original names, or will the SoftwareDistribution and catroot2 folders be regenerated?

BeeGeeJay, Dec 17, 2018
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Problems with Windows 10 Updates

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I suggest you to Rename Software Distribution and catroot2 Folder.

• Rename Software Distribution Folder.
      • Open File Explorer and go to C:/Windows
      • Search for SoftwareDistribution Folder.
      • Rename this Folder to SoftwareDistribution.old.
    • Rename catroot2 Folder.
      • Open File Explorer and go to C:/Windows/System32
      • Search for catroot2 folder.
      • Rename this Folder to catroot2.old
    I suggest you to install the updates in clean boot and check if ti helps.

Place your computer in clean boot state and check if it helps.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows. Please refer the link provided below.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting".

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Thanks and regards.

Arun B J, Dec 17, 2018
  4. TanJohn1 Win User

Can't rename Catroot2 and SoftwareDistribution folder in Windows 10

cryptsvc is always turned on automatically whenever catroot2 folder is touched (deletion or rename)

Hello MS experts,

I hit a very strange problem when I tried to rename catroot2 folder (because windows update 1803 hits the problem time to time, cannot be installed).

as people suggested, i first turned off cryptsvc and window update service via command line or via services GUI interface. then i tried to rename catroot2 folder, it showed error message that other application still opened it, I was wondering who still occupied
    it. therefore, i checked cryptsvc again, it was turned on by himself automatically (status turned "Running"). I even tried to disable it completely, it still behaves like that, turned on automatically as long as I touched catroot2 folder (if i don't touch
    catroot2 folder, cryptsvc kept being turned off). I repeated stop and rename procedure many times without any luck.

any idea what happened and how to fix it?

many thanks

best regards

John

TanJohn1, Dec 17, 2018
Thema:

Can't rename Catroot2 and SoftwareDistribution folder in Windows 10

1. Can't rename Catroot2 and SoftwareDistribution folder in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Can't rename Catroot2

2. Delete Catroot2.bak folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete Catroot2.bak folder: I found a "Catroot2.bak" folder in my Windows/System32 directory. Is it save to delete it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-catroot2bak-folder/908f3543-906e-4e26-8823-512951f444a3
  3. Error when trying to rename catroot2 folder: "open in another program"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error when trying to rename catroot2 folder: "open in another program": When trying to rename catroot2, you get an error message that the folder is open in another program.I have actually solved this, but every time people ask this they get bad advice and the thread is locked. The problem is that Microsoft's official advice here is incorrect....
  4. Error when trying to rename catroot2 folder: "open in another program"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error when trying to rename catroot2 folder: "open in another program": When trying to rename catroot2, you get an error message that the folder is open in another program.I have actually solved this, but every time people ask this they get bad advice and the thread is locked. The problem is that Microsoft's official advice here is incorrect....
  5. Error when trying to rename catroot2 folder: "open in another program"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Deleting SoftwareDistribution Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting SoftwareDistribution Folder: Dear Support,I accidentally deleted the SoftwareDistribution folder instead of the downloads forler inside of there while clearing caches.I did press skip on everything that popped up.I just wanna make sure if all it okay by asking this here.Or is it better to delete the...
  7. Delete SoftwareDistribution folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Delete SoftwareDistribution folder: If I delete the SoftwareDistribution folder can I still uninstall updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-softwaredistribution-folder/990eb5dc-1966-4e82-9bb3-ee8da3a39e54
  8. catroot2 folder rename error : the action can't be completed because the folder or a file...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    catroot2 folder rename error : the action can't be completed because the folder or a file...: Gettng this error while trying to rename the catroot2 folder step. net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old net start wuauserv net start...
  9. Can't rename folders in Windows?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't rename folders in Windows?: I have a rather complex problem: At first I couldn't install and uninstall many programs, until I found out that I created my Windows username with altcodes, Windows shows me many things wrong, often doesn't recognize the folder because it converts the symbols, so the exe...
  10. SoftwareDistribution Folder

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    SoftwareDistribution Folder: ]I just found where all my updates were located. However there are lots of folders and files. Can I safely delete them as they take up lots of space? The figure below shows how much is in the folder. Thanks for any help. [img] 15686

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant rename catroot2

2. cant rename catroot2 folder

3. catroot2 access denied

4. cannot rename catroot2,
  5. how to rename catroot2 folder,
  6. cannot rename catroot2 windows 10,
  7. ren c:\windows\softwaredistribution softwaredistribution.old access denied,
  8. cant rename catroot2 windows 10,
  9. Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak Access Denied,
  10. rename catroot2 folder,
  11. cant rename softwaredistribution folder,
  12. ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old,
  13. cant rename catroot2 folder windows 10,
  14. how to rename catroot2,
  15. rename catroot2