Windows 10: Can't rename/edit/delete or really do anything to certain folders under my User...

Discus and support Can't rename/edit/delete or really do anything to certain folders under my User... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Disclaimer: I have looked over the internet and haven't found an answer. IF the is one, I am sorry for wasting your time. - I am not an admin on this... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Reefive, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Reefive Win User

Can't rename/edit/delete or really do anything to certain folders under my User...

Disclaimer: I have looked over the internet and haven't found an answer. IF the is one, I am sorry for wasting your time.

- I am not an admin on this computer, and it is a problem for only my account, but I do have the admin's help

- This did not happen after upgrading to Windows 10, we bought this computer and it already came with Windows 10

- On our old Windows 7 computer we never had this problem

- This happened directly after I installed Font Forge from their GitHub page [https://fontforge.github.io/en-US/downloads/]

If I try to edit/create/delete/rename anything in my Desktop, Documents, etc. folders it gives me this error:

[Item Not Found]

Could not find this item

This is no longer located in C:\Users\Sky. Verify the item's location and try again.

*Desktop folder Picture* Desktop

- The Desktop file is "Read-Only", but when I try to edit it's state it just reverts itself

- Backing Up the folder is a one-time fix, using the [Previous Versions] tab in the File Properties

- Editing Security permissions of my account works until it gets to the Desktop folder; then gives me an error for every file.

- One solution is to make a new "New Desktop" folder and put all my files in there but I want a fix, not a workaround.

When I look at the [Security] tab of the File Properties of my C:\Users\Sky folder the Permissions are all checked in black.

But if I do that on C:\Users\Sky\Desktop they are all grey.

I had this problem with Atom (code editor) & Krita x64 (image editor) but the fix was to save on a folder inside their AppData folders.

My theory is that in Windows 10 instead of saying "You have no permission", it says "It dosen't exist", to protect your computer.

A appreciate your help, Sky Coleman/Reefive.

*Could this also go under the Files, Folders & storage section?

:)

Reefive, Sep 22, 2018

2. Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-rename/3364a356-bf93-4e5c-8fcb-67850e837d6b

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Sep 22, 2018
  3. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Can't rename/edit/delete or really do anything to certain folders under my User... :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Can't rename/edit/delete or really do anything to certain folders under my User... :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Sep 22, 2018
  4. Can't rename/edit/delete or really do anything to certain folders under my User...

How to completely delete the files and folders of the corrupted profile and rename the same user profile name in the newly created user profile in Windows 10?

Hello Ian,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Method 1: You can delete the files and folders from the corrupted user from
    File explorer by following the steps below:

• Press Windows logo + E keys on the keyboard to open
      File explorer.

• Click on This PC located at the left side panel of the window to open the drives of the PC.

• Go to users folder by opening the
      C: drive.

• From users folder, locate the user folder you want to delete and
      press Shift + Delete keys on the keyboard.

• After the process is complete, close the window and check if the files and folders are deleted.

Method 2: I suggest you to refer to the suggestion by
    Annu Singh from the link below to rename the user profile and check if it helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-preview/88033eca-6b32-47c5-90ac-a5e7af17d094

Write back to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Sep 22, 2018
Thema:

Can't rename/edit/delete or really do anything to certain folders under my User...

1. Can't rename/edit/delete or really do anything to certain folders under my User... - Similar Threads - Can't rename edit

2. Deletion of Default folder under Users folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deletion of Default folder under Users folder: I'm using windows 11 and accidentally deleted a Default folder under Users, no system backup was performed prior to these. The Default folder is permanently deleted any chance to restore it back. Will it effect already created users??Any suggestion would be more then helpful...
  3. Deletion of Default folder under Users folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deletion of Default folder under Users folder: I'm using windows 11 and accidentally deleted a Default folder under Users, no system backup was performed prior to these. The Default folder is permanently deleted any chance to restore it back. Will it effect already created users??Any suggestion would be more then helpful...
  4. Can't rename certain libraries

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't rename certain libraries: i'm trying to rename to Videos library to Television, but each time i write the new name it doesnt stick and goes back to Videos, this happens quite randomly as sometimes i'm able to do this and others i dont, can anyone help...
  5. Can't rename certain libraries

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't rename certain libraries: i'm trying to rename to Videos library to Television, but each time i write the new name it doesnt stick and goes back to Videos, this happens quite randomly as sometimes i'm able to do this and others i dont, can anyone help...
  6. Can't Delete or Rename my folders?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't Delete or Rename my folders?: Made some new folders recently and I can't rename or even delete them. The option is grayed out and I can't select it. I checked for permission on the security section and it said that I have full access to modify them. Never experience this before. Does anyone know how to...
  7. Can't delete deleted user's folder.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete deleted user's folder.: So a long time ago I made this user using command prompt just for fun and then I went to delete it. But I just noticed that the user folder is still there. It says I can't delete it because I don't have permissions. I tried giving myself permissions to no avail. Can someone...
  8. Rename Computer folder under User?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Rename Computer folder under User?: Hello, i once created a folder under my c drive and named it test. Use Windows 10. If I click on it, right mouse button, is there no possibility to rename it? How can I do this? Do I go to properties and I don't find anything about them? [ATTACH] Computer...
  9. I can't delete certain users

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't delete certain users: So this PC is from a friend that sold it to me, and he left his users here. The thing is that i can't delete those 2 users he created for some reason, i can't find the option. When trying with mine there is an option to 'delete user'. His users appear inside a slot called...
  10. Renaming the user folder under c:\users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Renaming the user folder under c:\users: Hi all. As a user who's part of a domain, my user folder under C:\Users is very long and this is disturbing when I use Bash (WSL). the folder is first.last.domainName and that's too long. Ideally, I just want my user folder to be my first.last name without the domain name...