Windows 10: Can't rename external drive

Discus and support Can't rename external drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; [img] Windows 10 v 1904. Want to rename external disk "X". System likes it as "D" in sequence. I can type in (X) but the (D) won't change. Can this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Kupuna, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Kupuna Win User

Can't rename external drive

Can't rename external drive [​IMG]

Windows 10 v 1904. Want to rename external disk "X". System likes it as "D" in sequence. I can type in (X) but the
    (D) won't change. Can this be done?

:)

Kupuna, Jan 13, 2021
  2. nate_995 Win User

unable to rename external hard drive

I tried what you said, but it still says "you need permission to perform this action". I have access to everything on the drive. It is only the autorun.inf that i no longer have access to and because of that when i rename the drive it shows the new name
    in disk management but it stays the same in my computer. I am using windows 10 pro.

nate_995, Jan 13, 2021
  3. External Hard Drive "is not accessible"

Hi Ridhwan,

Sorry for the delayed response. Let me continue to assist you further.

The issue here could have been due to fact that the Drive I:\ is encrypted or a flush drive. This forces the computer to not recognize the format and displays the error message. I suggest here to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows Key + letter 'X.'
    • Choose 'Disk Management.'
    • Right click on the External drive and select 'Change Drive letter and Path names.'
    • Rename the drive letter i.e. remove letter I and say you replace it with letter
      J.
    • Restart the computer and check the issue status.

Hope this helps. Please reply for further queries on this.

Arvind Ram, Jan 13, 2021
  4. Can't rename external drive

External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Jan 13, 2021
Thema:

Can't rename external drive

1. Can't rename external drive - Similar Threads - Can't rename external

2. Can't rename external drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't rename external drive: [img] Windows 10 v 1904. Want to rename external disk "X". System likes it as "D" in sequence. I can type in (X) but the (D) won't change. Can this be done? 171446
  3. Can't Rename External Hard Drive in Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't Rename External Hard Drive in Windows 10 Pro: Hello TenForums! Been a while. I've looked up every guide imaginable, including this one, and I can't seem to rename my A: drive on my Windows 10 Pro install, version 1909, OS build 18363.778. [img] I've tried using the elevated command prompt method, the elevated...
  4. Cannot save or rename files in my Seagate External Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot save or rename files in my Seagate External Drive: I'm trying to transfer files from my computer to my Seagate external drive. It gives me a message that I don't have administrator access to this drive. I execute all procedures in this forum: 1 Change the driver owner to my user 2 Give the RWD access to my user - Whe I do...
  5. Can't rename any drive to "M"

Can't rename any drive to "M": When I try to rename any drive, external or internal, the drive isn't seen in "This PC". Any other letter works fine. The renamed drive can be seen and even accessed (right click > open) in Disk Management or MiniTool. It was suggested that I try "mountvol /r" but to no...
  6. External harddisks can not be renamed

External harddisks can not be renamed: Hello, I use many external harddisks. No problem in W7, after upgrade also no problem in W10. But now, all of a sudden, the given names/labels are not displayed anymore. They get generic names/labels like Local Drive (H). Renaming them within W10 does not help. Nor do...
  7. External harddisks can not be renamed

in Windows 10 Support
    External harddisks can not be renamed: Hello, I use many external harddisks. No problem in W7, after upgrade also no problem in W10. But now, all of a sudden, the given names/labels are not displayed anymore. They get generic names/labels like Local Drive (H). Renaming them within W10 does not help. Nor do...
  8. Can't format external USB drive.

Can't format external USB drive.: I am trying to format 2 partitions on an external 1TB USB3 drive. I had 2 ExFat partitions (partitions 6 and 7) which I have deleted and created 2 new ones using diskpart which I want to format NTFS. When I try to format them using disk management it hangs, explorer...
  9. Can't Rename Drive Label in Windows 10

Can't Rename Drive Label in Windows 10: I have named my USB flash drives (G,H) in Disk Management, but they continue to be unnamed in Windows Explorer. [img] I've tried everything in this tutorial: How to Rename Drive Label in Windows 10 without success. The only thing that does work is to set a default...
  10. Renaming a drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming a drive: Hi. Still learning Win 10 ways! I have installed a WD My Book backup drive, and Win 10 gave it the designation of my "G" drive. How do I change from "G" to a different unused letter? Thanks for your help. 28654