Windows 10: Can't rename. File in use.

Discus and support Can't rename. File in use. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I keep getting an error message about renaming a file that is in use. I made sure everything is closed, including files, folders & programs. I closed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MamaWolf, Mar 16, 2016.

1. MamaWolf Win User

Can't rename. File in use.

I keep getting an error message about renaming a file that is in use. I made sure everything is closed, including files, folders & programs. I closed windows explorer as well. The file I want to rename is definitely not open anywhere.

Help Please,

:)

MamaWolf, Mar 16, 2016
  2. basemred Win User

I cannot rename files and folders within certain folders

I have the same problem , I can't rename Files or subfolders in one folder , while i can rename the folder itself

and when i renamed it i was able to rename files and folders inside it .

but when renaming it back again to the original name i cannot rename anything inside !!?

basemred, Mar 16, 2016
  3. hamzah95 Win User
    How do i rename my music file's name in n72?

.................plz help me renaming the files because it's getting annoying because I can't rename them.

hamzah95, Mar 16, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, try Lockhunter (freeware) to check if sthg is locking the file, or Unlocker, for example.

dalchina, Mar 17, 2016
  5. MamaWolf Win User
    LockHunter worked. Thank you very much.

MamaWolf, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't rename. File in use. - Similar Threads - Can't rename File

2. Using variables with the rename command in a batch file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using variables with the rename command in a batch file: Hello, I am trying to use variables in renaming a robocopy log file but I continually receive a 'syntax error'. Everything works perfectly until I use the rename command. I am using the latest build of Windows 10. Any advice will be appreciated, thank you. The batch...
  3. Can't rename file

Can't rename file: I can't rename file in file explorer - app freezes and then closes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-rename-file/c867b489-34a2-4f82-9f68-3038c6858e6f"
  4. Renaming a file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Renaming a file: Just had a "bios" update on HP computer and now I cannot rename a file without getting the message " Don't have permission to save in this locatin. Contact the administrator to obtain permission. I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR AND ONLY USER! How is this fixed … please?...
  5. Can't rename file in windows 10

Can't rename file in windows 10: I'm unable to rename files in Windows 10. When I right-click on the file, rename is not one of the selections. If I click on it, wait, then click again, it does nothing. I searched on this already and tried these suggestions: 1. Safe mode 2. Clean boot 3: Press...
  6. Can't rename case in File Explorer.

Can't rename case in File Explorer.: When I rename "only case " of a file or folder in File Explorer it doesn't work. A workaround, I put a character at the end with case changes save those then remove then added extra character....
  7. Renaming Files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Renaming Files: I have a problem renaming files when it is labelled e.g. when a is labelled Password(3) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/renaming-files/e546899b-22b2-4d51-9f8d-e0fe6f527948
  8. file rename

file rename: I cant change the file name in explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-rename/61f6fa66-7c24-419a-85cc-9ff513c4fb14"
  9. Why can't I rename this file?

Why can't I rename this file?: That is the question. This is some kind of Hauppauge WinTV system file that is the prime suspect in BSODs. I decided to try to rename the file instances and see if that corrected the BSOD. I renamed two of the three instances I found, but can't rename this one. I changed...
  10. Can't use Taskman.exe even after renaming it.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't use Taskman.exe even after renaming it.: That's pretty much it. I've run sfc and dism with no errors. Renaming taskman.exe to another name lets me open the 'shell' of the program, but there is no info inside of it. Just an empty shell....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant rename catroo2 folder to catroot2.bak file open in another folder

2. how to rename catroot2

3. Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak

4. rename softwaredistribution access denied