Windows 10: Can't rename. File in use.

Discus and support Can't rename. File in use. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I keep getting an error message about renaming a file that is in use. I made sure everything is closed, including files, folders & programs. I closed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MamaWolf, Mar 16, 2016.

1. MamaWolf Win User

Can't rename. File in use.

I keep getting an error message about renaming a file that is in use. I made sure everything is closed, including files, folders & programs. I closed windows explorer as well. The file I want to rename is definitely not open anywhere.

Help Please,

:)

MamaWolf, Mar 16, 2016
  2. basemred Win User

I cannot rename files and folders within certain folders

I have the same problem , I can't rename Files or subfolders in one folder , while i can rename the folder itself

and when i renamed it i was able to rename files and folders inside it .

but when renaming it back again to the original name i cannot rename anything inside !!?

basemred, Mar 16, 2016
  3. hamzah95 Win User
    How do i rename my music file's name in n72?

.................plz help me renaming the files because it's getting annoying because I can't rename them.

hamzah95, Mar 16, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, try Lockhunter (freeware) to check if sthg is locking the file, or Unlocker, for example.

dalchina, Mar 17, 2016
  5. MamaWolf Win User
    LockHunter worked. Thank you very much.

MamaWolf, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't rename. File in use. - Similar Threads - Can't rename File

2. Can't rename a file in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't rename a file in Windows 10: The quantity of characters to use in renaming a file an image file is limited. How do I change this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-rename-a-file-in-windows-10/a6e33452-ae1a-4bc8-8aff-9411acd4e9c6
  3. Can't rename a file in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't rename a file in Windows 10: The quantity of characters to use in renaming a file an image file is limited. How do I change this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-rename-a-file-in-windows-10/a6e33452-ae1a-4bc8-8aff-9411acd4e9c6
  4. Can't rename a file in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't delete or rename some files

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't delete or rename some files: I've been having trouble with deleting and renaming *some* files for months now. I'm running Windows 10 2OH2. The problem typically manifests itself in File Explorer. I'll try to delete or rename a file or folder and it usually works but sometimes, it simply won't work. The...
  6. I can't rename a file

I can't rename a file: so when I try to rename a folder it just closes like it just refreshed itself and I can't change it CPU: Intel Core I9 9900k GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Super Motherboard: TUF Gaming Z370+PLUS DIMM 32 GB DDR4 SSD Samsung 970 EVO 500gb...
  7. Can't Rename A File

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't Rename A File: Hello, I wanted to rename a movie because gom player doesn't play long names. When i try to change it's name it changes back to original name. I couldn't fix it please help. submitted by /u/Bilge1212 [link] [comments]...
  8. Can't rename file

Can't rename file: I can't rename file in file explorer - app freezes and then closes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-rename-file/c867b489-34a2-4f82-9f68-3038c6858e6f"
  9. Can't rename case in File Explorer.

Can't rename case in File Explorer.: When I rename "only case " of a file or folder in File Explorer it doesn't work. A workaround, I put a character at the end with case changes save those then remove then added extra character....
  10. Why can't I rename this file?

Why can't I rename this file?: That is the question. This is some kind of Hauppauge WinTV system file that is the prime suspect in BSODs. I decided to try to rename the file instances and see if that corrected the BSOD. I renamed two of the three instances I found, but can't rename this one. I changed...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant rename catroo2 folder to catroot2.bak file open in another folder

2. how to rename catroot2

3. Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak

4. rename softwaredistribution access denied