Windows 10: Can't rename file in windows 10

Discus and support Can't rename file in windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm unable to rename files in Windows 10. When I right-click on the file, rename is not one of the selections. If I click on it, wait, then click... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by snickersnake, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Can't rename file in windows 10

I'm unable to rename files in Windows 10. When I right-click on the file, rename is not one of the selections. If I click on it, wait, then click again, it does nothing.

I searched on this already and tried these suggestions:

1. Safe mode

2. Clean boot

3: Press Windows kwy + X

Click on Command Prompt (Admin)

At the command prompt, type “takeown /f <foldername> /r /d y” without quotes and then press ENTER. (Replace <foldername> with the path of the folder).

Then, type “icacls <foldername> /grant administrators:F /T” without quotes and hit enter. (Replace <foldername> with the path of the folder).

None of these worked. When I tried #3, I got "access denied" when I did the last two steps.

I also do not have wallpaper that changes. I saw that some people were having trouble when their wallpaper changed at intervals.

:)

snickersnake, Dec 5, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 5, 2019
  3. Having trouble renaming files in windows 10.

Hi Varin,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

As you are unable to rename the files I understand the inconvenience. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• Were you able to see any error code/ error message with this issue?
    • Is this issue confined to any particular file in any specific folder/ drive?

Try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to boot the computer to Safe Mode and check if the issue occurs or not. In Safe Mode computer starts with minimal set of drivers and files.

Refer: Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Step 2: I suggest you to perform
    Clean boot to avoid any third party software conflict.

Disclaimer: Putting your system in
    Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Step 3: I suggest you to boot the device to Normal mode and check if the issue persists.

Follow the below steps to place the computer in normal mode:

• Press Windows + R keys to open Run
      command.
    • Type msconfig and press Enter.
    • In the System Configuration window, click on
      General tab.
    • Select Start-up selection as Normal startup, click on
      Apply and Ok.
    • Follow onscreen instructions.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 5, 2019
  4. Can't rename file in windows 10

Renaming local files and folders issue

Hi,

To further assist you with renaming local files and folders, we suggest for you to check this

link
    and see the steps which has the marked as answer.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, Dec 5, 2019
Thema:

Can't rename file in windows 10

1. Can't rename file in windows 10 - Similar Threads - Can't rename file

2. Can't rename a file in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't rename a file in Windows 10: The quantity of characters to use in renaming a file an image file is limited. How do I change this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-rename-a-file-in-windows-10/a6e33452-ae1a-4bc8-8aff-9411acd4e9c6
  3. Can't rename a file in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't rename a file in Windows 10: The quantity of characters to use in renaming a file an image file is limited. How do I change this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-rename-a-file-in-windows-10/a6e33452-ae1a-4bc8-8aff-9411acd4e9c6
  4. Can't rename a file in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I can't rename a file

I can't rename a file: so when I try to rename a folder it just closes like it just refreshed itself and I can't change it CPU: Intel Core I9 9900k GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Super Motherboard: TUF Gaming Z370+PLUS DIMM 32 GB DDR4 SSD Samsung 970 EVO 500gb...
  6. Can't name or rename folders in File Explorer Windows 10

Can't name or rename folders in File Explorer Windows 10: I can create new folders but I can't name them. Pls help. Using Microsoft 365 and One Drive. However same issue occurs in File Explorer outside of OneDrive. Have reviewed past discussion on the topic, what is the latest advice. Thanks Andrew...
  7. Can't Rename A File

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't Rename A File: Hello, I wanted to rename a movie because gom player doesn't play long names. When i try to change it's name it changes back to original name. I couldn't fix it please help. submitted by /u/Bilge1212 [link] [comments]...
  8. Can't rename file

Can't rename file: I can't rename file in file explorer - app freezes and then closes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-rename-file/c867b489-34a2-4f82-9f68-3038c6858e6f"
  9. Rename File in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rename File in Windows 10: How to: Rename File in Windows 10 How to Rename File in Windows 10 This tutorial will show you different ways to rename a file in Windows 10. *note If a file is currently in use, for example by a program, Windows will not allow you to rename it. *note If you...
  10. Can't rename. File in use.

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't rename. File in use.: I keep getting an error message about renaming a file that is in use. I made sure everything is closed, including files, folders & programs. I closed windows explorer as well. The file I want to rename is definitely not open anywhere. Help Please, 44380

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant rename file

2. unable to rename files windows 10

3. cant rename file windows 10 file open