Windows 10: can't rename folder beacause it's open in another program

Discus and support can't rename folder beacause it's open in another program in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey, I have the username "Firstname Lastname". The space in between the two names are causing problems with the path. So I changed the username but the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/IIIlllIIIlllIIII, Sep 20, 2020.

1. can't rename folder beacause it's open in another program

Hey, I have the username "Firstname Lastname". The space in between the two names are causing problems with the path. So I changed the username but the folder for the username (C:/Users/username) has not changed.

So I looked for this workarround: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...renaming-user-account-not-change-profile-path

Now the problem is when I try to rename the folder from another admin account it says "can't rename folder beacause it's open in another program. I was logged of at my main account and had no other programs open. How to fix this?

submitted by /u/IIIlllIIIlllIIII
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/IIIlllIIIlllIIII, Sep 20, 2020

2. Can't rename folder.

Thank you for following the steps. What we can try is using the Command Prompt to rename the folder. Kindly follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key and type "command prompt".
    • Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
    • Enter this command: cd /X: (X represents the drive where the folder is).
    • Copy and paste this command after entering the first one: icacls * /T /Q /C /RESET.

Feel free to contact us if you need assistance with Windows

Dennis Mop, Sep 20, 2020
  3. Nasho23 Win User
    Renaming of Folders

Thank You; but changing to Lists does not work.

This is ridiculous - Renaming of Folders and Files should be able to be carried out regardless of Icons or Lists.

Also; i notice that I cannot Cut and Paste from one Folder to another.

I do not think this is a Bug - I think it is a Programming Stuff Up.

Microsoft should have a Proper Fix for this Bad Programming - Users should not have to muck around with a multitude of suggested fixs, including the Registry, which many do not understand.

I am still seeking Wise Input for this issue.

Regards

Nasho23, Sep 20, 2020
  4. can't rename folder beacause it's open in another program

files and folders "renaming music folder to audio"

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

• Are you facing any issues in renaming folder?
    • When you say, "music folder does not apply anymore as a primary designation" what exactly are you referring to?
    Follow the steps below to rename folder:

• Right click on a folder which you want to rename.
    • Select Rename and enter new name for it.
    Hope this helps. Kindly get back to us with the above details to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Sep 20, 2020
Thema:

can't rename folder beacause it's open in another program

1. can't rename folder beacause it's open in another program - Similar Threads - can't rename folder

2. Error when trying to rename catroot2 folder: "open in another program"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error when trying to rename catroot2 folder: "open in another program": When trying to rename catroot2, you get an error message that the folder is open in another program.I have actually solved this, but every time people ask this they get bad advice and the thread is locked. The problem is that Microsoft's official advice here is incorrect....
  3. Error when trying to rename catroot2 folder: "open in another program"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error when trying to rename catroot2 folder: "open in another program": When trying to rename catroot2, you get an error message that the folder is open in another program.I have actually solved this, but every time people ask this they get bad advice and the thread is locked. The problem is that Microsoft's official advice here is incorrect....
  4. Error when trying to rename catroot2 folder: "open in another program"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Cannot Rename User Profile Folder or File in Use by Another Program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Rename User Profile Folder or File in Use by Another Program: Logged on as Administrator and followed the procedures provided to Rename the Users/ Profile/ The process worked flawlessly on my Desktop. However when I followed the above procedure on my WIFI connected laptop and attempted to rename the Users profile on my Wifi Network...
  6. The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program

The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program: Below is the message I receive when I try to move a folder within One Drive using file explorer. Help? "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program"...
  7. Can't rename folders

Can't rename folders: I created a new folder on my surface pro on the C Drive. When I attempt to rename it by tapping on the folder, and then clicking rename it allows me into the folder name, but the minute I bring up the virtual keyboard the focus changes, and I am no longer on the folder name...
  8. Can't rename a folder.

Can't rename a folder.: I love when Explorer won't allow me to rename a folder, when literally nothing is using the folder at all in any **** i n g way, you **** h o l e s. It doesn't even have the courtesy to tell me what ghost program is using the folder....
  9. Can't Delete A Folder Due To Message "File Is Open In Another Program"

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Delete A Folder Due To Message "File Is Open In Another Program": The ASUS Aura software for my ASUS B250F motherboard was working fine until I downloaded ASUS GPU Tweak II, for some reason it reset the lighting on my motherboard back to its default rainbow setting, I went into The ASUS Aura software to change it back to the way it was...
  10. The action can't be completed.. open in another program

in Windows 10 Support
    The action can't be completed.. open in another program: I see. LockHunter doesn't work on individual files in the Recycle Bin. So try this: [img]

Users found this page by searching for:

1. www.windowsphoneinfo.com