Windows 10: Can't Reset PC - Permissions - Lost Ownership?

Discus and support Can't Reset PC - Permissions - Lost Ownership? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi. I was messing around with the "permissions" under the properties, security, permissions area. I seem to have lost access to everything on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by yuripleskun, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Can't Reset PC - Permissions - Lost Ownership?

Hi. I was messing around with the "permissions" under the properties, security, permissions area.

I seem to have lost access to everything on my computer, even on my administrative accounts.

When I try to click "change owner" it freezes now. When I try to reset my PC, it won't let me and

it also won't diagnose the problem. I also am receiving the error "Can't Access System32."

If anyone can help me get control of my computer again, just enough to be able to do a hard reset that would be great.

:)

yuripleskun, Jan 8, 2019

2. Ownership Issues

that will not hurt taking ownership, but I would also then look in the list of users on the ownership page and make sure your user account name is there with full permissions. Probably not.

even though you take ownership of an item, you may not be in the list of users with permissions.

first select disable inheritance, then select "ADD" in the list of users, and add your user account the same way you took ownership and select full permissions.

Then administrators may only have select permissions in the list. so after you disable inheritance, delete admins user. then select add again and select admins in the list and select full permissions

restart pc

seahawks65, Jan 8, 2019
  3. Windows is not activated following "reset this pc"

Thank you @NavyLCDR, I tried your suggestions but still have the same issue.
    @Superfly, My main issue is the fact that sppsvc.exe won't start and throws the Error 5 (Access Denied). I tried changing permissions, taking ownership etc. but still have the same issue.

I guess my next step is another restore :-(. I assume you mean a fresh install because the original issue was caused after I clicked "Reset this PC" option in system settings?

the5krunner, Jan 8, 2019
  4. slance310 Win User

Can't Reset PC - Permissions - Lost Ownership?

Cannot take ownership of external HDD(permissions complications)

Hi,

When you take\change Ownership, the is a box to check right under where the Owner is listed to apply to folders and subfolders...

You may have missed that step... I will include the steps I use for this...

Use at your own risk...

Change Ownership and add OwnerName as a USER

Select Security Tab and then ADVANCED at the bottom.

Here you can edit the permissions for existing users and\or add another..

Click "CHANGE" next to Owner at the top of the window...

Select...

1) Advanced

2) Find Now

3) Select User from list...Your user name, or any you want to add.

4) check the box "Replace Owner On Subcontainers and Objects"

5) Hit "Apply"

Close out of all of the open windows and start over with the Advanced button...

1) select "ADD" near the bottom

2) select "Select A Principal" at the top...

3) Advanced

4) Find Now

5) Select User from list...Your user name, or any you want to add.

6) Give the new user\owner full permissions...

7) Do Not check the box "Include Inheritable Permissions From This Object's Parent""

8) Select "Apply"...

slance310, Jan 8, 2019
Thema:

Can't Reset PC - Permissions - Lost Ownership?

1. Can't Reset PC - Permissions - Lost Ownership? - Similar Threads - Can't Reset Permissions

2. WdagUtilityAccount permissions and ownership and locked questions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WdagUtilityAccount permissions and ownership and locked questions: Ive noticed all of the questions of WdagUtility are being locked to commentsIDK why this is but if I have a question, I would like to be able to discuss this. IDK why these forums are being locked, but I am going to explain how I removed WdagUtility permission so when people...
  3. WdagUtilityAccount permissions and ownership and locked questions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WdagUtilityAccount permissions and ownership and locked questions: Ive noticed all of the questions of WdagUtility are being locked to commentsIDK why this is but if I have a question, I would like to be able to discuss this. IDK why these forums are being locked, but I am going to explain how I removed WdagUtility permission so when people...
  4. lost permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    lost permissions: Just recently i have lost permissions to open my photos , i have tried everything ... can some one help please thank you in advance . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-permissions/2fc17712-f593-4d04-ab47-75f664de22e3
  5. File Ownership, and Permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Ownership, and Permissions: So, I've thoroughly messed up some files on my pc somehow, as I have what appears to be "Full Control" and "Ownership" of the files. The problem however is that even though these things seem to be true, I'm still met with a message suggesting I need permission from a...
  6. Can't edit permissions, despite having ownership.

Can't edit permissions, despite having ownership.: I can't seem to edit permissions for a folder despite being told that I have ownership of said folder. I'm on my administrator account, the security properties for the folder look like this: [ATTACH] If I click "Change permissions" or "Change owner" everything greys out...
  7. Win 10 permissions and take ownership

Win 10 permissions and take ownership: I have a user who can take ownership of a folder when i have expressly denied the user and administrator/s all permissions including take ownership Users on a single Win 10 PC and as I am not just the only one who uses the PC I want to lock a folder down to stop anyone else...
  8. Lost password and can't reset it

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lost password and can't reset it: About 1 month ago I bought a used pc, it has windows 10 and everything was great until I wanted to use Remote desktop and I had to log in my microsoft account, I tried and it asked for the computer password, but when I bought it the seller bothered to give me only the PIN...
  9. Lost access ownership of all folders after Factory reset

Lost access ownership of all folders after Factory reset: Before Factory Reset: I was running Windows 10 on a Local User account Then I did a factory reset removing everything in C: drive. Resetting got stuck at 99% so I had to force restart but everything was fine. After Factory Reset: I created a new user account by logging in...
  10. Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders...

in Windows 10 Support
    Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders...: running out of ideas, just can't seem to gain full control of folders or files in the windowsapps folder, i can delete files and folders but i can't rename files or folders or edit file content... for example when i try to edit a file name i get: "you require permission...