Windows 10: Can't reset Windows 10 on my Surface Laptop

Discus and support Can't reset Windows 10 on my Surface Laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I can't seem to do a fresh install of Windows 10 on my Surface Laptop. Each time I try it gets to around 13% before loading my current installation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Graceh19, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Graceh19 Win User

Can't reset Windows 10 on my Surface Laptop

I can't seem to do a fresh install of Windows 10 on my Surface Laptop.

Each time I try it gets to around 13% before loading my current installation and saying there has been a problem.

:)

Graceh19, Feb 23, 2020

2. Problem updating Windows Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 feature updates

Hi,

I have manage to install image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 by going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erecoveryimage and download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

What I did to reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive was:
    Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in (hold down the power
    button for 30 seconds).
    Step 2: Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
    Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the
    power button on your Surface.
    Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
    Step 5: When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
    Step 6: Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
    If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the
    screen.
    Step 7: Select the target operating system you wish to reset. This
    refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
    Step 8: Select Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, select Next.
    Step 9: Choose Just remove my files.
    Step 10: Select Reset.
    Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process continues
    (this can take a while).

This always fails and I have to do the below which continues installation.
    Windows 10 Installation Media:

1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
    2. Boot from the media.
    3. Select Repair Your Computer.
    Select Troubleshoot.

1. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
    Type in the command:
    Diskpart
    Type in the command:
    List disk (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)
    Type in the command:
    Sel disk 0
    Type in the command:
    List vol (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4)
    Type in the command:
    Sel vol 4
    Type in the command:
    assign letter=V:
    Type in the command:
    Exit
    Type in the command:
    V:
    After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:
    Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:
    format V: /FS:FAT32
    Type in the command:
    bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Now I have an issue that I cannot install Feature Updates. They keep failing to install.
    Any ideas how to resolve issue?

jaburmester, Feb 23, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Boot Surface Laptop to USB - no Volume button

Hello Jimmy, Can't reset Windows 10 on my Surface Laptop :)

This doesn't list the "Surface Laptop", but you might give it a try to see.

*Arrow Boot Microsoft Surface from a USB device

Otherwise, you should be able to use OPTION ONE below to boot from the USB from advanced startup.

*Arrow Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Brink, Feb 23, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Surface Tools for IT Update for Surface Pro and Surface Laptop

Source: Surface Tools for IT Update for Surface Pro and Surface Laptop Surface

Brink, Feb 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Can't reset Windows 10 on my Surface Laptop - Similar Threads - Can't reset Surface

2. Can't sign in to Surface Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't sign in to Surface Laptop: Hi there.I have set up a new PC for my mum.Because of COVID I have not been able to get the surface to her.Now that restrictions have eased and I can go visit, I went to update the surface but can't remember the PIN I set.Since I set up the computer she has gotten rid of her...
  3. Can't reset nor access my windows 10 laptop.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't reset nor access my windows 10 laptop.: So I have this Lenovo laptop that I haven't used in a while. I tried entering some passwords but I can seem to find the password I used to access my laptop. I tried clicking on "Reset password" but it displays a message that says "This feature requires removable media, such...
  4. Surface laptop 3 reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface laptop 3 reset: I bought the surface laptop 3 a month ago off amazon, and am needing to return because its not working out for me, so it said to reset before sending back. It has been stuck on this screen for over 10 hours... do i keep waiting? What should i do? I need to send it back so i...
  5. Can't reset windows 10 in my laptop

Can't reset windows 10 in my laptop: I can't reset windows 10 on my laptop after windows 10 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-reset-windows-10-in-my-laptop/c0938d7f-26a0-4991-b863-bd026cb15118
  6. Can't reset windows 10 in my laptop

Can't reset windows 10 in my laptop: I am not able to reset my laptop which have windows 10 after update my laptop get corrupted and after that I was not able to reset it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-reset-windows-10-in-my-laptop/ad49a366-d91c-479c-bd3f-eefc1c22a3f5
  7. Can't reset my laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't reset my laptop: Hello when i try to reinstall windows from my usb it keep reaching 96% then telling me that "there was a problem reseting your pc, no changes were made" and i can't access the safe mode cause it keep crashing....
  8. URGENT Can't access or reset my laptop with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    URGENT Can't access or reset my laptop with Windows 10: I wanted to add a new domain onto my laptop, however the laptop has locked me out completely and now it is asking for an administrator password. I have tried everything but nothing works. I have decided to reset my laptop but I can't reset it for some reason. Every time I...
  9. Can't reset my laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't reset my laptop: Hello everyone, My laptop with Windows 10 is showing a blue screen with the error 0xc000021a every time I try to access the Windows. When I turn on my laptop, it shows the message: 'Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC' and the options: 'Shut down' and 'Advanced...
  10. Can't Reset My Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't Reset My Laptop: I need to do a factory reset on Windows 10 on my PC. Every time I try, I get a message saying that there is not enough disk space on the drive where Windows is installed. So I go to disk cleanup to remove any files I can. There are not any files taking up space at all : I...