Windows 10: Can't reset Windows Hello Pin and can't find Ngc folder

Discus and support Can't reset Windows Hello Pin and can't find Ngc folder in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Whenever I open my laptop and then click sign in, it tells me to create Windows Hello PIN, but before creating my PIN it tells me to verify my identity... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Muhammad Arslan Arshad, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Can't reset Windows Hello Pin and can't find Ngc folder

Whenever I open my laptop and then click sign in, it tells me to create Windows Hello PIN, but before creating my PIN it tells me to verify my identity and enter the PIN for my account, though I don't have one. And when I click 'I forgot my PIN' it says 'You can reset your PIN by going to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options', and when I follow the steps it shows me the same rather than showing me instructions to change my PIN. I tried searching for this problem but other responses to other people with this issue are telling to delete the Ngc folder but I couldn't find the folder.If any

:)

Muhammad Arslan Arshad, Feb 12, 2024

2. Windows Hello Pin won't allow setup - Tried Ngc folder contents deletion

At some point I stopped being able to log in with my PIN or fingerprint reader. Since logging on with my password and trying to reset the PIN I have not been able to use Windows Hello.

Trying to add a new PIN leads to the eventual message of "Something went wrong. We weren't able to set up your pin..."

Following instructions from various help forums I have deleted the contents of the Ngc folder and have also tried resetting the Access Control Lists on the Ngc folder. Neither of these things have worked.

Does anyone have any further suggestions?

loginprobs, Feb 12, 2024
  3. PIN not available, PIN reset not working, Ngc folder empty?

Hi, so recently my PIN quit working. For some reason when I boot up my computer it says something like “Something happened and your PIN is unavailable.” And so I have to sign in via password. Once I’m actually on my desktop, I go into settings and try to reset my PIN but it says “something went wrong. We weren’t able to set up your PIN. You can try again, or skip this step and set up a PIN later.”

So I browsed online and saw something about changing permissions so that I can access the Ngc folder and do something in there that could help reset my PIN. I did so and there’s nothing in the Ngc folder?? I’ve never messed with the folder before, so I’m wondering if the lack of content inside is what’s causing this weird error? Hoping someone can help me fix my PIN and Ngc folder if something is wrong with that.

Luke Pierson, Feb 12, 2024
  4. Can't reset Windows Hello Pin and can't find Ngc folder

Issues with Windows Hello PIN

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues with Windows Hello PIN on your PC, and I certainly appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue by following certain troubleshooting steps.

You can follow the below steps to delete NGC folder and see if you are able to setup PIN.

1. Press Windows + E to open
      File Explorer
    2. On the left hand pane click on This PC.
    3. Now navigate to the location C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft.
    4. Right click on the NGC folder and click on
      Delete.
    5. Click on Yes.

In case you are receiving permission error then try running the command and see if you are able to delete it.

1. Press Windows +
      S
      key together to open Search.
    2. Now type CMD and select Run as administrator.
    3. Accept the UAC prompts.
    4. Type in the following commands one by one and hit
      Enter
      :

icacls C:WindowsServiceProfilesLocalServiceAppDataLocalMicrosoftNgc /T /Q /C /RESET
    5. Close the CMD window
    6. Try to delete the NGC folder.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Feb 12, 2024
Thema:

Can't reset Windows Hello Pin and can't find Ngc folder

1. Can't reset Windows Hello Pin and can't find Ngc folder - Similar Threads - Can't reset Hello

2. Can't delete the contents of NGC folder

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't delete the contents of NGC folder: I have never set up a Hello PIN. Suddenly my Microsoft 365 apps are asking for me to set one up. It will not let me decline the request. My outlook.com email is no longer working in Outlook. I have managed to give myself rights to the NGC folder, but I can delete the contents...
  3. Can't delete the contents of NGC folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete the contents of NGC folder: I have never set up a Hello PIN. Suddenly my Microsoft 365 apps are asking for me to set one up. It will not let me decline the request. My outlook.com email is no longer working in Outlook. I have managed to give myself rights to the NGC folder, but I can delete the contents...
  4. Can't delete the contents of NGC folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't reset Windows Hello Pin and can't find Ngc folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't reset Windows Hello Pin and can't find Ngc folder: Whenever I open my laptop and then click sign in, it tells me to create Windows Hello PIN, but before creating my PIN it tells me to verify my identity and enter the PIN for my account, though I don't have one. And when I click 'I forgot my PIN' it says 'You can reset your...
  6. Can't reset Windows Hello Pin and can't find Ngc folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't reset Windows Hello Pin and can't find Ngc folder: Whenever I open my laptop and then click sign in, it tells me to create Windows Hello PIN, but before creating my PIN it tells me to verify my identity and enter the PIN for my account, though I don't have one. And when I click 'I forgot my PIN' it says 'You can reset your...
  7. PIN not available, PIN reset not working, Ngc folder empty?

PIN not available, PIN reset not working, Ngc folder empty?: Hi, so recently my PIN quit working. For some reason when I boot up my computer it says something like “Something happened and your PIN is unavailable.” And so I have to sign in via password. Once I’m actually on my desktop, I go into settings and try to reset my PIN but it...
  8. PIN not available, PIN reset not working, Ngc folder empty?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PIN not available, PIN reset not working, Ngc folder empty?: Hi, so recently my PIN quit working. For some reason when I boot up my computer it says something like “Something happened and your PIN is unavailable.” And so I have to sign in via password. Once I’m actually on my desktop, I go into settings and try to reset my PIN but it...
  9. HELP I can't log in with my pin code and can't empty the Ngc folder.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HELP I can't log in with my pin code and can't empty the Ngc folder.: I can no longer log in with my pin and instead have to use my Microsoft accounts password to log into my computer. And apparently I'm not the first one so I've tried to fix this with tutorials, and to empty the Ngc folder. But I can't access that by doing the steps...
  10. User forgot PIN - no way to reset, can't take ownership of NGC folder

User forgot PIN - no way to reset, can't take ownership of NGC folder: As title suggests one of our users has forgotten their PIN and needs it to enrol a fingerprint. There is no 'reset PIN' option, presumably since it's a domain joined machine. This has happened to us many times before and my usual solution is to unlink their Microsoft...