Windows 10: Can't restore desktop to original location

Discus and support Can't restore desktop to original location in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I moved my Desktop to my D drive, but accidentally didn't put it in a subfolder. Now my Desktop shows the entire contents of my D drive. I want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mahmoud Alrais, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Can't restore desktop to original location

Hi,

I moved my Desktop to my D drive, but accidentally didn't put it in a subfolder. Now my Desktop shows the entire contents of my D drive. I want to restore it to its original location, but it fails and I receive this error: Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under "D:\System Volume Information". Access is denied.

someone has asked this exact same question before but the solution suggested didn't work for me , is there any way to fix it?

:)

Mahmoud Alrais, Dec 24, 2020

2. Can't Restore Desktop to Original Location

Hi,

I moved my Desktop to my D drive, but accidentally didn't put it in a subfolder. Now my Desktop shows the entire contents of my D drive. I want to restore it to its original location, but it fails and I receive this error: Failed to build the list of regular
    subdirectories under "D:\System Volume Information". Access is denied.

Is there a way to fix this without having to create a new user?

Thanks!

DenniRussel, Dec 24, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Can't Restore Desktop to Original Location

OK, this is a common problem . . .

• Create a new folder on your D drive called Desktop
    • Move any files that should be on your Desktop into this new folder
    • Then in file explorer, on the left side, click Quick Access
    • On the right hand side right click your Desktop folder, choose Properties
    • On the location tab, click Move and select the new folder (D:\Desktop) as the new location
    • When you are asked if you want to merge files, select No (this is important)
    • Click Apply and OK and close the properties Dialog

Can't restore desktop to original location 5bf40d4d-5548-4130-9076-8bc93b577855.png

Finally if you want to restore your Desktop folder to its default location, open the properties dialog again and click 'Restore Default' . . .

DaveM121, Dec 24, 2020
  4. DougCulp Win User

Can't restore desktop to original location

restore taskbar to original location

how to restore taskbar to original location

DougCulp, Dec 24, 2020
Thema:

Can't restore desktop to original location

1. Can't restore desktop to original location - Similar Threads - Can't restore desktop

2. I can't restore Desktop to it's Original Location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't restore Desktop to it's Original Location: Hi!,I moved my Desktop to my D drive but didn't make a new folder named desktop. Now desktop is mixed with other folders/content of my d drive. I wanted to restore it to its original location which is in the local C drive but it fails and I receive this: "The Folder can't be...
  3. I can't restore Desktop to it's Original Location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't restore Desktop to it's Original Location: Hi!,I moved my Desktop to my D drive but didn't make a new folder named desktop. Now desktop is mixed with other folders/content of my d drive. I wanted to restore it to its original location which is in the local C drive but it fails and I receive this: "The Folder can't be...
  4. Windows 10 Restoring Desktop Location

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Restoring Desktop Location: Hello, I accidentally moved all the files on my Desktop to a local drive D:\. So my laptop has limited C:\ drive and I'm running out of space, so I was hoping that the Desktop was moved to a folder called Desktop in D:\ but accidentally I moved all files to the folder D:\...
  5. OneDrive - Restore Folders to original locations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive - Restore Folders to original locations: Win 10 Home How do I remove the default folders from OneDrive and restore to there original location - desktop, documents, pictures, etc? In other words - I do not want C:\users\...\OneDrive\Desktop just C:users\...\Desktop. Thanks, Darryl...
  6. Can't Restore Music to Original Location

Can't Restore Music to Original Location: Hi, I moved my Music to my D drive, but accidentally didn't put it in a subfolder. Now my Music shows the entire contents of my D drive. I want to restore it to its original location, but it fails and I receive this error: Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories...
  7. The icon of the desktop in the original location Squeezed underneath it

in Windows 10 Customization
    The icon of the desktop in the original location Squeezed underneath it: Hello, when downloading a file to the desktop or pasting a folder to the desktop, the file will go to the top left corner of the desktop (most of the time), sometimes to the middle of the left side of the screen (a few cases occur) After this problem occurs, the file icon in...
  8. Windows update changed the original Desktop location

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update changed the original Desktop location: Hello there! I was working in my laptop and had to restart it. When it was rebooting, it seemed it needed some updates. However, by the time it finished updating (lasted about 3 hours), seemed like a recovery action(which wasn't), as all the files I had did disappear....
  9. restore taskbar to original location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    restore taskbar to original location: how to restore taskbar to original location https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-taskbar-to-original-location/440887d7-6a5b-4681-a07d-c99f77f4bc39
  10. Unable to restore original downloads folder location

Unable to restore original downloads folder location: Dear community, I have a new Windows 8 computer. The hard drive is separated in two, OS (C:) and DATA (D:) and I realised that all my files were being stored in drive C: I read online that you could modify where folders like 'My documents' are stored by clicking...