Windows 10: Can't restore Win10 - can't 'see' <windowsimagebackup>.

Discus and support Can't restore Win10 - can't 'see' . in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello everyone- Having a problem restoring a Win10 "backup and restore" save. W10 won't see it, and I think possibly there are some files missing. I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Jasong222, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Jasong222 Win User

Can't restore Win10 - can't 'see' .

Hello everyone- Having a problem restoring a Win10 "backup and restore" save. W10 won't see it, and I think possibly there are some files missing. I'm super frustrated and hopefully someone here can help! Thanks in advance!

Basic details:

Lenovo 720s Laptop
    Win 10 Home
    I used 'backup and restore (system 7)'
    I can't get Windows to see the <windowsimagebackup> folder (<wib> from now on)
    There might be some files missing. I only have the <wib> folder, not the other two files, mediaID and <machinename>. <wib> is untouched and intact. No missing files inside that.
    Have tried 'everything'
    <wib> is on the root drive of USB

Long Version (As briefly as I can, lol...):

Ok, so last November I made a backup using the System 7 "backup and restore" functionality that's in Windows 10. I see now that people don't like it, but, it's always worked for me. Although I haven't had to actually use it for a couple years.

Yesterday, my computer started glitching and booting to diagnosis/recovery. I think the drive is fine, I was playing around with a USB dock and a Keyboard/Mouse switch (KBM switch), two monitors and a bunch of hard drives. I think that I got some cables crossed and had both ports from the KBM switch going into the laptop, and was just plugging and unplugging lots of stuff. Laptop started to glitch. I ran a CrystalDiskInfo and the drive is 94% all green (blue?).

Tried various recovery things and couldn't get them to work. Hiren, HirenPE, "AllinOne", etc. I changed the bios to legacy and got them to mount, just... either didn't see what I was looking for (chkdsk, scan, etc.), couldn't find anything useful, or couldn't get to the C: drive. At any rate, I gave that up and figured I'd just bite the bullet and restore. So I reinstalled 10, fresh.

But now I can't get backup and restore to 'see' the backup I made in November. Here are, I think, the relevant details:

- After I made the backup last November, I did move the <windowsimagebackup> folder from it's original location. I had it stored on a usb external drive. I have moved it to the root directory of that external drive.

- I only have the <wib> folder. I notice that with older system/restore backups there are two additional files. A folder <machine name> and a file "MediaID". For whatever reason I don't have those for this most recent backup. There are similar folders inside the <wib> folder, but I don't know if they are the same or not. It's unlikely that I moved them there, but possible. I try to keep these files as original and 'untouched' as possible.

- I do not know the windows version number. I know it was at least 1903, and I'm pretty sure it is not the most recent one that's available now. I tend to wait until Windows forces me to update, and I believe there was one new available than the one that I had.

-I did try to 'fool' the system into seeing the folder. I created a new backup with my newly installed system, and then swapped out the <wib> folder. For the other two files, <machinename> and MediaID, I tried using the ones that were created with the new backup, and also tried copying some of the files from within the <wib> saved folder from a couple months ago. Neither worked.

- I copied the november <wib> folder over to a different drive that has no other backups stored on it at all. This didn't work. The backups were all stored several folders deep, but either way, didn't work.

My questions -

1- What do? Any way around this?
    2- I saw there are two .vhdx files in the <wib> folder. Is there any way to... dunno. Turn them into .isos, image or mount them and then clone that over to my C drive?

I'm mostly concerned about my installed applications and windows settings. And the settings for my installed applications, lol. I tweak my settings heavily and do NOT look forward to doing that again. I am not missing any actual files. docs, media, etc. are all saved. It's only the system stuff I'm worried about.

Any help?

Thanks in advance!

:)

Jasong222, Jan 28, 2021
  2. soletsky Win User

unlock sim t-mobile lumia 521

Thanks for your suggestion, but this is a prepaid phone --- no contract. As I said T-Mobile lists the number under an unknown carrier and suggested I contact Microsoft.

soletsky, Jan 28, 2021
  3. Brink Win User
    AT&T Activates Call Validation Displays

Source: AT&T Activates Call Validation Displays

Brink, Jan 28, 2021
  4. SIW2 Win User

Restore from WindowsImageBackup

You could try the free (unregistered) version of diskgenius. It will tell you if there is somethimg wrong the virtual disk, otherwise, it will open and you can copy stuff out.

Compare Different Editions of DiskGenius

Can't restore Win10 - can't 'see' <windowsimagebackup>. [​IMG]

Thema:

1. Can't restore Win10 - can't 'see' . - Similar Threads - Can't restore Win10

2. File History can't see my restore files.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History can't see my restore files.: This seems to be a common problem yet I still can't fund a solution. I used File History to back up my data to an external hard drive before reformatting my laptop and doing a clean install of Windows 10. I have named the laptop the same name and my username is the same. I...
  3. Win10 WindowsImageBackup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 WindowsImageBackup: Hi. I was just wondering, if i already done my Win10 system backup to external hard drive, can i now copy it to DVD disc? Do i have to create an ISO file of WindowsImageBackup folder somehow and then copy it to DVD or DVD's or make a new backup straight to DVD's The reason i...
  4. My Win10 laptop can't see my Win10 desktop printer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Win10 laptop can't see my Win10 desktop printer: I have four win10 devices, some are seen on some, through my network, but not all are visible on all. I would like to be able to access all machines from all other machines. Also, in the past I have been able to access a printer attached to my desktop, but it goes away at...
  5. My Win10 laptop can't see my Win10 desktop printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Win10 laptop can't see my Win10 desktop printer: I have four win10 devices, some are seen on some, through my network, but not all are visible on all. I would like to be able to access all machines from all other machines. Also, in the past I have been able to access a printer attached to my desktop, but it goes away at...
  6. My Win10 laptop can't see my Win10 desktop printer

in Windows 10 Support
  7. Linux can see drive but Win10 can't

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Linux can see drive but Win10 can't: I took a drive from a Win7 laptop and hooked it to an external dock on a Win10 PC to copy a large number of files. I've done this hundreds of times across lots of PC's for years across various Win versions, including dozens of different PC's on Win10. I replaced the drive...
  8. Restore from WindowsImageBackup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore from WindowsImageBackup: We have an iMac but I decided to use Bootcamp to partition to the hard drive as I really don't get on with Mac! Recently, I removed Bootcamp to increase the size of the partition. I have done this satisfactorily and have reinstalled Windows 10 on the Bootcamp partition....
  9. Issues Restoring from WindowsImageBackup

Issues Restoring from WindowsImageBackup: Hello, I am trying to restore a WindowsImageBackup file that I had created before sending my laptop in to HP for repairs. I am running Windows 10 and the backup was created using Windows 10 as well on my external Seagate FreeAgent Go hard drive. I have tried restoring from...
  10. Trouble Restoring from WindowsImageBackup

Trouble Restoring from WindowsImageBackup: My client's Win10 Pro computer died. Got a new Win10 Home Asus laptop. Trying to restore files from a WindowsSystemImage folder on his backup drive, but the Advanced Recovery tool doesn't recognize the external drive containing the ImageBackup folder. When I attempt to mount...