Windows 10: Can't right click and drag or copy files

Discus and support Can't right click and drag or copy files in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I recently lost the ability to right click and copy files to a separate folder or the desktop. I have tried several of the fixes posted online but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by YnpTim1, Oct 14, 2019.

1. YnpTim1 Win User

Can't right click and drag or copy files

I recently lost the ability to right click and copy files to a separate folder or the desktop. I have tried several of the fixes posted online but with no luck.

:)

YnpTim1, Oct 14, 2019
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Oct 14, 2019
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Oct 14, 2019
  4. Can't right click and drag or copy files

Ways to Drag Files or Folders

Summary:

This article covers ways to drag files or folders while working on File Explorer.

Here's a list of ways to copy, move, or create shortcuts:

CTRL while dragging a file - Copy a file to another drive or folder. *

SHIFT while dragging a file - Move a file to another drive. **

ALT while dragging a file - Create a shortcut to a file on the desktop or another location.

*: You can also drag a file or folder to another drive, which means copying.

**: If moving a file or folder to another folder on the same drive, you don't need to hold SHIFT while dragging a file or folder.

TIP: If you use your right mouse button to drag a file or folder to another folder or desktop and release it, you will get three options: Copy Here, Move Here, and Create Shortcut(s) Here.

PilotRain942054, Oct 14, 2019
Thema:

Can't right click and drag or copy files

1. Can't right click and drag or copy files - Similar Threads - Can't right click

2. Disable right click drag menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disable right click drag menu: Hello! So I find this annoying feature on my Windows. Every time I try to right click a file, I accidentally keep dragging it instead of right clicking and then pulls up this menu:How do I disable this feature? Thanks!...
  3. Disable right click drag menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable right click drag menu: Hello! So I find this annoying feature on my Windows. Every time I try to right click a file, I accidentally keep dragging it instead of right clicking and then pulls up this menu:How do I disable this feature? Thanks!...
  4. Disable right click drag menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Right click drag to the desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right click drag to the desktop: Can I change the right click file drag menu default option to be create a shortcut rather than move file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-click-drag-to-the-desktop/530cde6a-c591-4bcf-8c46-da03916f82ec
  6. Right click drag to the desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right click drag to the desktop: Can I change the right click file drag menu default option to be create a shortcut rather than move file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-click-drag-to-the-desktop/530cde6a-c591-4bcf-8c46-da03916f82ec
  7. Dragging file with left mouse=Only copy? with right mouse=impossible?

in Windows 10 Support
    Dragging file with left mouse=Only copy? with right mouse=impossible?: When I drag in File Explorer a file with pressed left mouse button from one directory to another directory (on the same partition) then only a "Copy" operation is performed. How can I tell Win10 to perform in such a case (always automatically) a "Move" operation? Related...
  8. Random hidden outline in middle of screen, can't drag files in, can't right click.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Random hidden outline in middle of screen, can't drag files in, can't right click.: I just got a new laptop, security is up to date and everything works smoothly. However recently I've noticed there's thisodd rectangular outline in the middle of the screen. I can't drag anything into it,can't right click on it, and when I click outside of it, itdisappears...
  9. Can't copy after highlight & right click

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't copy after highlight & right click: I have Windows 10 Home and Office Pro 2016. If I want to copy a line or line of numbers like a usps tracking number, I have to highlight and right click it 5-7 times before it will copy. Then I can paste it where ever I want. I have changed my mouse three times and the same...
  10. Can't click and drag

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't click and drag: I purchased my Dell laptop in October 2017. I can no longer click and drag or click and scroll. I don't know how to fix this. Is there an easy fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/cant-click-and-drag/3ac385fe-eee5-4981-9f27-672faa566f96