Windows 10: Can't right-click programs in taskbar to pin/unpin, etc.

Discus and support Can't right-click programs in taskbar to pin/unpin, etc. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In 7 I could right-click open programs in the taskbar to pin or unpin them. Since I use a "Quick Launch" toolbar instead of pinned items, I wanted to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Roadsguy, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Roadsguy Win User

Can't right-click programs in taskbar to pin/unpin, etc.

In 7 I could right-click open programs in the taskbar to pin or unpin them. Since I use a "Quick Launch" toolbar instead of pinned items, I wanted to get rid of the pinned Edge, Explorer, and Store icons, but right-clicking them did nothing. I can shift-click them, but that only brings up the menu you'd get for right-clicking on a shortcut in a folder, with no pin/unpin option.

Additionally, right-clicking Skype in the taskbar offered a "Quit Skype" option for when I want to close it for real. Now I can't even find a way of doing this without Skype closing by default.

What's weird is that the tiles/icons in the Start Menu can be right-clicked, and from there I can unpin, but it seems weird that I can't do it directly by right-clicking the icon in the taskbar. Is this a bug? Do I need to change a setting? Or are these sorts of options just gone from the taskbar?

EDIT: I don't know what exactly I did (I think an update fixed it), but it works now exactly as in 7. If anyone else has this, the update should fix it I guess. Can't right-click programs in taskbar to pin/unpin, etc. :p

:)

Roadsguy, Jul 29, 2015

2. File Explorer in Taskbar woun't launch

Hi Adrien,

I would suggest you to unpin the File Explorer from Taskbar and then again try to pin it and check if it helps.

To unpin the File Explorer, right click on it and select Unpin this program from Taskbar.

To pin the File Explorer, search for File Explorer using from Start menu and right click on it and
    select Pin to Taskbar.

Let us know the results.

Rohit Siddegowda, Jul 29, 2015
  3. TheAraty Win User
    Can't open pinned files and folders from taskbar

Files are in the same location as they were before. unpinning and pinning them does nothing, but they can be opened by manually finding them in folders. You can't even open programs on taskbar by clicking them right and then click on their name.

TheAraty, Jul 29, 2015
Thema:

Can't right-click programs in taskbar to pin/unpin, etc.

1. Can't right-click programs in taskbar to pin/unpin, etc. - Similar Threads - Can't right click

2. Can't right click taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't right click taskbar: Hi, today I started having a problem where I couldn't right-click on the task bar. I look up a solution that says to restart 'tiledatamodelsvc'. When I go to check, I notice that my system lacks this service and that even using PS Get-Service -Name 'tiledatamodelsvc' results...
  3. Can't right click taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't right click taskbar: Hi, today I started having a problem where I couldn't right-click on the task bar. I look up a solution that says to restart 'tiledatamodelsvc'. When I go to check, I notice that my system lacks this service and that even using PS Get-Service -Name 'tiledatamodelsvc' results...
  4. Can't right click taskbar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Can't pin or unpin apps to the taskbar!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't pin or unpin apps to the taskbar!: My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 13 7000, updated to Windows 10 Home version 1083. I am having trouble pinning and unpinning apps to my taskbar. The issue is a bit hard to explain, but I will try my best to describe it. I've also attached screenshots to help clarify. When I...
  6. "Recent" right click programs in taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    "Recent" right click programs in taskbar: Hello! My issue is that usually when you right click for example Steam or Chrome it shows you recently played games/recently opened websites you've been onto... once again, my Windows 10 have stopped doing that, and I don't even know why. 47648
  7. Pin/Unpin is missing from right click context menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Pin/Unpin is missing from right click context menu: Hi guys I reinstalled windows 10 on my laptop and after that the pin/unpin options is missing from the context menu (right click) to pin/unpin tiles from the startmenu. Any ideas? 39795
  8. Pin/Unpin Options Missing on Right-Click Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Pin/Unpin Options Missing on Right-Click Menu: Hi, I've upgraded from Windows 8.1 (x64) and I wanted to change my start menu tiles since I had a start menu as opposed to the start screen. Naturally, I tried right-clicking the tiles that were present and unpinning them from the start menu, but the option doesn't show up!...
  9. Pinned Files on Taskbar Don't Work, Can't Unpin, Can't Pin New

in Windows 10 Support
    Pinned Files on Taskbar Don't Work, Can't Unpin, Can't Pin New: Hi! Did the Win 10 update last night. Now I can't run my pinned Excel files ("The item you selected is unavailable. It might have been moved, renamed, or removed. Do you want to remove it from the list?") But when I say Yes, it's not removed. If I click the icon for...
  10. Can't Pin or Unpin to Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Pin or Unpin to Taskbar: I just noticed today that I am unable to right click on an item on the taskbar making it not possible to pin or unpin. Is this happening to anyone else or is it just me? 21007