Windows 10: Can't run a shortcut in startup folder as administrator

Discus and support Can't run a shortcut in startup folder as administrator in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a program shortcut in the startup folder that I need to run as admin, otherwise it prompts me to do it manually after the system starts, which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by oao, Jul 20, 2016.

1. OAO
    oao Win User

Can't run a shortcut in startup folder as administrator

I have a program shortcut in the startup folder that I need to run as admin, otherwise it prompts me to do it manually after the system starts, which is annoying.

The Shortcut tab has an Advanced button where I can check a Run as Admin box, but the system does not let me check it.
    Any idea why? I am logged in as an admin

:)

2. In Windows 10, how can I disable program running at startup without logging in to administrator account?

If the item that is running is coming from the "HKEY Local Machine" (global) registry branch, or from the /All Users "Startup" folder, then it can't be changed from the user. This is similar to desktop icons for example. If an administrator installed Adobe
    Reader, and the shortcut icon got copied to the /All Users desktop folder, then no individual user would ever be able to delete that icon.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jul 20, 2016
  3. ShaqWQ Win User
    How to Automatically Launch Windows Universal Apps on Startup

For desktop apps, copying and pasting a shortcut file to the Startup folder does the trick, but this does not apply to Windows Apps. I've already tried gaining administrative access to the WindowsApps folder and into the files of my chosen app, but clicking
    on the exe file of the chosen app shows error that says "This application can only run in the context of an app container" and as a result, the shortcut dragging method to Startup folder still won't work.

ShaqWQ, Jul 20, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello oao, *Smile

By default, Windows will not allow a program to run elevated at startup.

However, you could use the method in the tutorial below as a workaround by creating an elevated shortcut that you can place in your Startup folder to have it run as administrator at startup without a UAC prompt.

Elevated Program Shortcut without UAC Prompt - Create - Windows 7 Help Forums

Brink, Jul 20, 2016
Thema:

1. Can't run a shortcut in startup folder as administrator - Similar Threads - Can't run shortcut

2. Windows 10 Cannot Run Shortcuts as Administrator

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Cannot Run Shortcuts as Administrator: Since the January 14, 2020-KB4532938 update, I am no longer able to run any shortcut, any item in the start menu, or any item that I find through searching as an administrator. I can run them if I go directly to the file's location or set it up to always run as...
  3. Can't run anything as administrator

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't run anything as administrator: I mistakenly did a quick reply at the end of the tutorial for running an app as administrator in Windows 10. I'm on a PC running Windows 10 Pro, version 1903 (OS Build 18362.476), Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s). Asus...
  4. Can't run anything as administrator

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't run anything as administrator: I mistakenly did a quick reply at the end of the tutorial for running an app as administrator in Windows 10. I'm on a PC running Windows 10 Pro, version 1903 (OS Build 18362.476), Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s). Asus...
  5. Run Administrator Programs in Startup of Standard User

Run Administrator Programs in Startup of Standard User: I have both an administrator and standard account on my laptop. I use the standard account for every general task and do not use the administrator account unless absolutely needed. There are two pieces of software I want to run at startup every time either my standard account...
  6. Make a Shortcut Always Run as a Administrator

in Windows 10 Customization
    Make a Shortcut Always Run as a Administrator: How do you make a shortcut (on my desktop) always Run as a Administrator ? Thanks for any help with this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/make-a-shortcut-always-run-as-a-administrator/c09bf487-952b-4a51-80ed-732ac96ea3b2
  7. Can't run as Administrator

Can't run as Administrator: NEED HELP. Cant run anthing as administrator bought this computer today also wont let me run cmd (admin) so that i can change my account to admin access. 80613
  8. EXE in Startup folder not running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EXE in Startup folder not running: Just don't know if it's really worth the trouble, seems like just one issue after another. Latest is I wrote a program that runs on windows 10 just fine from a shortcut on the desktop. I copied the shortcut to the startup folder for my account and did all the compatibility...
  9. Running as Administrator from Startup shortcut?

in Windows 10 Support
    Running as Administrator from Startup shortcut?: Up until now one of my programs has always run on booting up. Its shortcut is in my Startup folder. I have now re-configured the shortcut to 'Run as Administrator', for all users. It works correctly when d-clicked manually. But it no longer starts on startup. Is that to...
  10. Set Desktop Shortcuts to Run As Administrator (.urls)

in Windows 10 Support
    Set Desktop Shortcuts to Run As Administrator (.urls): So long story short I've created a brand new install of Windows 10 and created a local Administrator account called Pete. I placed a bunch of standard .url shortcuts on the desktop that open in IE11. My problem is that some of these sites need need iexplore.exe to Run As...