Windows 10: Can't run a shortcut in startup folder as administrator

Discus and support Can't run a shortcut in startup folder as administrator in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a program shortcut in the startup folder that I need to run as admin, otherwise it prompts me to do it manually after the system starts, which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by oao, Jul 20, 2016.

1. OAO
    oao Win User

Can't run a shortcut in startup folder as administrator

I have a program shortcut in the startup folder that I need to run as admin, otherwise it prompts me to do it manually after the system starts, which is annoying.

The Shortcut tab has an Advanced button where I can check a Run as Admin box, but the system does not let me check it.
    Any idea why? I am logged in as an admin

:)

2. In Windows 10, how can I disable program running at startup without logging in to administrator account?

If the item that is running is coming from the "HKEY Local Machine" (global) registry branch, or from the /All Users "Startup" folder, then it can't be changed from the user. This is similar to desktop icons for example. If an administrator installed Adobe
    Reader, and the shortcut icon got copied to the /All Users desktop folder, then no individual user would ever be able to delete that icon.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jul 20, 2016
  3. ShaqWQ Win User
    How to Automatically Launch Windows Universal Apps on Startup

For desktop apps, copying and pasting a shortcut file to the Startup folder does the trick, but this does not apply to Windows Apps. I've already tried gaining administrative access to the WindowsApps folder and into the files of my chosen app, but clicking
    on the exe file of the chosen app shows error that says "This application can only run in the context of an app container" and as a result, the shortcut dragging method to Startup folder still won't work.

ShaqWQ, Jul 20, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello oao, *Smile

By default, Windows will not allow a program to run elevated at startup.

However, you could use the method in the tutorial below as a workaround by creating an elevated shortcut that you can place in your Startup folder to have it run as administrator at startup without a UAC prompt.

Elevated Program Shortcut without UAC Prompt - Create - Windows 7 Help Forums

Brink, Jul 20, 2016
Thema:

1. Can't run a shortcut in startup folder as administrator - Similar Threads - Can't run shortcut

2. Can't run on startup as administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't run on startup as administrator: I granted Discord and Unikey permission to run as administrator and they can't open automatically on startup anymore. I've tried checking the task manager and startup apps in settings, but to no avail. What can be done regarding this?...
  3. Can't run on startup as administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't run on startup as administrator: I granted Discord and Unikey permission to run as administrator and they can't open automatically on startup anymore. I've tried checking the task manager and startup apps in settings, but to no avail. What can be done regarding this?...
  4. Shortcuts Not Running from Windows 10 User Startup folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcuts Not Running from Windows 10 User Startup folder: If I place a .BAT or an .EXE in my user startup folder %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup, they both execute correctly on startup, but if I place a shortcut to my .BAT script in my user startup folder, the shortcut will not execute on...
  5. Shortcuts Not Running from Windows 10 User Startup folder

Shortcuts Not Running from Windows 10 User Startup folder: If I place a .BAT or an .EXE in my user startup folder %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup, they both execute correctly on startup, but if I place a shortcut to my .BAT script in my user startup folder, the shortcut will not execute on...
  6. Shortcuts Not Running from Windows 10 User Startup folder

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Startup Folder shortcuts gone .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Startup Folder shortcuts gone .: When i add shortcuts in this folder for programs to start , they are gone every time i start pc.Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/startup-folder-shortcuts-gone/e275f832-42bf-4dc6-81cf-82a71de67c16
  8. Startup Folder shortcuts gone .

Startup Folder shortcuts gone .: When i add shortcuts in this folder for programs to start , they are gone every time i start pc.Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/startup-folder-shortcuts-gone/e275f832-42bf-4dc6-81cf-82a71de67c16
  9. startup shortcut wont run

in Windows 10 Support
    startup shortcut wont run: win 10 v1909 I copied a shortcut for realtemp to both all users & my startup folder & it wont run on bootup. I know its possible cause I have coretemp in there & it runs. 178398
  10. Running as Administrator from Startup shortcut?

in Windows 10 Support
    Running as Administrator from Startup shortcut?: Up until now one of my programs has always run on booting up. Its shortcut is in my Startup folder. I have now re-configured the shortcut to 'Run as Administrator', for all users. It works correctly when d-clicked manually. But it no longer starts on startup. Is that to...