Windows 10: Can't run programs, get "device not ready," can't run as admin except in safe mode, & more...

Discus and support Can't run programs, get "device not ready," can't run as admin except in safe mode, & more... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; First, every possible relevant prior question post is locked. The solutions I've tried don't work. So here I am. My system: PC running Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by silvanet_1, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Can't run programs, get "device not ready," can't run as admin except in safe mode, & more...

First, every possible relevant prior question post is locked. The solutions I've tried don't work. So here I am.

My system: PC running Windows 10 Pro, version 1903, Build 18362.476, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), Asus B85M-E R3 mb, 24GB RAM. I hope that's enough.

My problems seem to keep escalating and I'm trying to avoid a complete re-installation. I actually did that not long ago when I installed a Samsung 860 EVO ssd.

Where to begin:

It started with "Device not ready" message trying to run QuickAssist for Microsoft support agent when I couldn't open my local Word from Office 365. He couldn't repair that and figured I had a Windows problem so he transferred me over to that section.

They opened up a case, but after close to two hours they couldn't get it to work nor could they with alternative LogMeIn Rescue Assist.

I noticed we could not get anything to run as administrator. We tried safe mode and it worked there, but they failed to figure out what was happening. I have repair disk on USB so we booted from there and were not able to repair anything.

I tried DISM. It's hard for me to even detail everything because with all the Device not ready stuff suddenly my installation of Google Chrome and all my bookmarks disappeared - literally vanished from my drive. I tried to reinstall it but can't. Something is blocking the installation. I've tried offline installers, nothing works. So, without details, let me summarize. I went to documentation on using DISM and from safe mode because I couln't get elevated cmd otherwise, I tried:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth, and

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

The last one reported successful termination and that the image was repairable, but could not find online image.

I added local source from my downloaded ISO. I mounted it, noted the drive letter, and index number, but kept getting error. I extracted the install file and put it in the root of the C drive and tried again with same no success.

My first problem is trying to get that "repairable" image repaired from a local source file.

The command I was using as best I could figure was this:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:C:install.esd:6 /LimitAccess

The index for Win 10 Pro was 6.

Even in safe mode this can't complete.

Second problem would be to be able to run command prompt as administrator in regular (not safe) mode. I tried every possible way, but the ALL failed.

I'm hoping that fixing the image can repair that "device not ready" message I'm getting when I try to run almost anything.

If I could re-install Google Chrome, that would also help a great deal.

I'm running full anti-spyware/malware scan right now. I regularly have run Webroot as my default antivirus. It's normally been very good.

I'd appreciate help from someone who really knows their Windows stuff well.

:)

silvanet_1, Dec 8, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

explorer.exe will not run other than in safe mode

MS suggests:
    Once your PC is in Safe Mode, reinstall your display adapter driver.

• Type device manager into the search box on the taskbar, and then select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display adapter.
    • Right-click the display adapter and select Uninstall > OK.
    • Restart your PC.

dalchina, Dec 8, 2019
  3. Notifocation of W-10 update genuine? Freezes computer, can"t verify.

Download MalwareBytes and run a Full scan then run a full scan with Defender

Josey Wales, Dec 8, 2019
  4. Bree Win User

Can't run programs, get "device not ready," can't run as admin except in safe mode, & more...

running DOS as ADMIN

I suggested that in post #4 but @bromberg doesn't seem to have tried it yet...

Bree, Dec 8, 2019
Thema:

Can't run programs, get "device not ready," can't run as admin except in safe mode, & more...

1. Can't run programs, get "device not ready," can't run as admin except in safe mode, & more... - Similar Threads - Can't run programs

2. Can't "run as admin" for anything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't "run as admin" for anything: It all started with a memory issue. I replaced the ram and that fixed my first problem. Now whenever I try to open anything as admin I get "One or more copies of data on this device may be out of sync. No writes may be performed until data integrity scan is completed."Things...
  3. PC can't run outside safe mode.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC can't run outside safe mode.: God Day, This issue just happened right this moment. My pc suddenly can't run outside safe mode. When I boot up my pc normally, it just shows a black screen. I don't know how to fix it yet but I hope I get an answer very soon.PC Specifications:Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-4770...
  4. PC can't run outside safe mode.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC can't run outside safe mode.: God Day, This issue just happened right this moment. My pc suddenly can't run outside safe mode. When I boot up my pc normally, it just shows a black screen. I don't know how to fix it yet but I hope I get an answer very soon.PC Specifications:Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-4770...
  5. PC can't run outside safe mode.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Can't run anything with ADMIN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't run anything with ADMIN: My pc either error codes me like the screenshot or just freezes and crashes the program https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-run-anything-with-admin/34f2efa2-990c-4b98-8d15-b887ac05daf2
  7. Stuck in safe mode, can't run msconfig

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stuck in safe mode, can't run msconfig: I rebooted my computer into Safe Mode to uninstall some drivers. I did this using msconfig. Now that I am in Safe Mode, I can't run msconfig to get out. I try running the command and nothing happens. I have tried running it from the command prompt, and I get the same thing....
  8. Can't set a program to run as Admin automatically

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't set a program to run as Admin automatically: I have a virus-removal program which suddenly started needing to be run as Admin. (BTW, why did this happen?) When I right-click on the link, there's no "Run as Administrator" option visible. When I try to set the program to automatically run as Admin, that option is grayed...
  9. Can't run a program

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't run a program: I'm tired of Windows 10. I wish you'd quit updating. Now I can't run Sculptris I downloaded the 3d modeling app, and it won't run. I even uninstalled and reinstalled and it still won't run. I can't find a decent free 3d building software that's compatible to Windows 10....
  10. Can't run anything as admin

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't run anything as admin: I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Now I can't run anything as administrator. I just receive File system error (-1073741819) The annoying thing about the problem is that it means I can't actually run cmd in order to run sfc /scannow - although I did manage to run...