Windows 10: Can't run setup.exe for an investment software update. nothing happens when executed

Discus and support Can't run setup.exe for an investment software update. nothing happens when executed in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I work for an IT MSP company and am trying to assist a client that needs to update her investment software. The software is FIS investments. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by nicknettech, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Can't run setup.exe for an investment software update. nothing happens when executed

I work for an IT MSP company and am trying to assist a client that needs to update her investment software. The software is FIS investments. When I extract the zip and run setup.exe, nothing happens. I do not get any error messages. The spinning icon pops up indicating it is trying to do something but nothing happens.

I have checked the following:

1. verified Sentinel 1 is not interfering with the application.

2. windows firewall is turned off

3. tried on a local admin account and domain account

4. checked permissions. changed ownership to local and domain admin accounts.

5. Sonicwall does not seem to be blocking it per event logs

6. Verified UAC is turned off

When I transfer the file to my computer and run it, it runs fine.

The setup.exe icon on my computer has the run as admin shield icon but on this clients computer the icon looks like the computer doesn't recognize it. its like the icon is placeholder icon in a way.

The crazy thing is I had this exact same problem 3 months ago and I was able to update via domain Admin account but not this time.

I am baffled because I am not sure why its not running. I am unsure as well what to even type in google to research this issue as all issues are not related to my particular situation.

Apologies in advance if I did not post this in the correct area.

:)

nicknettech, Oct 28, 2020
  2. Berton Win User

Cannot run any exe file , from side-by-side configuration incorrect

Yes, it's a problem as most all Windows-based programs run from an .exe/executable file. A number of suggestions will be found here fix exe at DuckDuckGo and I've had good success with the one from Bleeping Computer.

Berton, Oct 28, 2020
  3. Cannot run .exe files

I rebooted my computer and it downloaded some updates. When it restarted, I could no longer run any .exe files. When I click on one, it asks me which program I would like to use to run it. Obviously, there are no programs on the list it offers me. The
    weirdest part is that some downloaded applications (like chrome, thankfully) still run. Any suggestions on how I can fix this or what happened?

robotoverlord, Oct 28, 2020
  4. linhlz Win User

Can't run setup.exe for an investment software update. nothing happens when executed

File Explorer crash when opened from taskbar (never happened before)

Method 1.

You should be able to fix this problem by disabling DEP (Data Execution Prevention)
    • Step 1.Log in computer with Administrator account to make sure you have fully administrative rights.
    • Step 2. If your computer is running Windows XP, click "Start" button and select "Run". Windows 7 user can press Windows and R keys. Type sysdm.cpl in Run box and click OK.
    • Step 3. You can see System Prosperities window from which you need to click Advanced tab and then Settings.
    • Step 4. The "Performance Options" window will pop up and please click "Data Execution Protection" tab. Select the option "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select" and click "Add" button.
    • Step 5. Browse files from the Open applet and find the exe files of the software which causes the error code. Select it and click "Open" button.
    • Step 6. Click "Apply" and "OK" to make changes take effect.

Method 2. Update Internet Explorer

linhlz, Oct 28, 2020
Thema:

Can't run setup.exe for an investment software update. nothing happens when executed

1. Can't run setup.exe for an investment software update. nothing happens when executed - Similar Threads - Can't run setup

2. When I run Setups of unknown origin nothing happens

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    When I run Setups of unknown origin nothing happens: I had some program of unknown origin and everything worked. At some point they all stopped working. Tried everything but nothing worked I tried reinstalling them. But when I click on the executables, the arrow spins a bit and then nothing happens. I tried to:- disabled...
  3. When I run Setups of unknown origin nothing happens

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I run Setups of unknown origin nothing happens: I had some program of unknown origin and everything worked. At some point they all stopped working. Tried everything but nothing worked I tried reinstalling them. But when I click on the executables, the arrow spins a bit and then nothing happens. I tried to:- disabled...
  4. When I run Setups of unknown origin nothing happens

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Some (not all) setup EXE files do not execute.

in Windows 10 Support
    Some (not all) setup EXE files do not execute.: Many recent EXE application set up files will not run. This presumably started a few days ago, but I then thought it was confined to just one setup EXE (Ultimaker_Cura-4.10.0-amd64.exe). This morning I discovered it's many (but NOT all) of them. The inactive ones seem to be...
  6. Nothing Happens When Running A .EXE File. DComCnfg Error: CLR20r3.

Nothing Happens When Running A .EXE File. DComCnfg Error: CLR20r3.: Hi all, I have been trying to run a .exe application on my Windows 10 Laptop but the application does not start up. It shows no error but when I go to the DComCnfg the following error shows: Fault bucket 1331199405604084232, type 5 Event Name: CLR20r3 Response: Not...
  7. RUN won't 'execute' EXE files

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    RUN won't 'execute' EXE files: Since 1803 was loaded on 3 of my Dell laptops (various models) I've discovered that the RUN function (under Windows Start Button) won't "run" an EXE file that is located in my download folder. Same response on 3 different laptops. I have a history of the APP for these EXEs...
  8. Nothing happens when I try to execute a vbs program

Nothing happens when I try to execute a vbs program: Hi, I had a program in visual basic script which I used under Win 8.1 (from which upgraded) to set a daily restore point. I've discovered that nothing happens when I double click it. I understand vbscript is implemented in Win 10 and the dll is present. Any ideas?...
  9. Can't run .exe

Can't run .exe: An update to AVG was performed on our computer. After that ran, when we try to open any program we receive the message: xxxx.exe- Application error the application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000135). Click OK to close the application. This occurs for any...
  10. Can't execute setups anymore

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't execute setups anymore: Hello everyone, a few days ago I upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 10. Since then I get the following Errors everytime I try to execute a setup: ShellExecuteEx failed; Code 3221225477 Executing it with administrator-rights leads to a different Errormessage:...