Windows 10: Can't Run Shortcuts in Normal Window

Discus and support Can't Run Shortcuts in Normal Window in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Running Win 10 Home x86 on a Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet. I cannot get shortcuts (File Explorer and others) to open in a Normal Window. I can change the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wbrands, Apr 7, 2017.

1. wbrands Win User

Can't Run Shortcuts in Normal Window

Running Win 10 Home x86 on a Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet. I cannot get shortcuts (File Explorer and others) to open in a Normal Window. I can change the Run type in Properties to Minimized and the app will start minimized. Then when clicking on the icon in the task bar, it will open in a Normal Window that remembers the last size and position in which the app was closed. Setting the shortcut properties to either Maximized or Normal Window results in the app starting in full screen (Maximized) no matter what I do. Also, if i right click on a short cut (File Explorer for example) and select "Open file location" File Explorer then will open properly in a Normal Window.

I have gone so far as to clean the HDD with diskpart (deleting all partitions and starting with a blank HDD) and reinstall the OS. Windows then open as expected right after the installation, but Windows 10 does not install the drivers I need to access the MicroSD card reader, rotate the screen, use the touchscreen or on-screen keyboard, etc. I install the current Dell provided chipset drivers (Intel) and gain proper control of all hardware but loose the ability to open windows as described above. Intel support says it is a OEM issue and to contact them. I spent an hour on the phone and remotely connected to Dell tech support and barely was able to get the tech to understand what was not working right and came nowhere close to getting a resolution. I have spent days Googling for a solution but it seems everyone wants to find a way to make their programs always open Maximized. These solutions all center around changing the shortcut properties or deleting the Bags/BagMRU (and others) keys from the Registry. Believe me, none of these solutions help my situation!

This really is not a real big problem but I have one program that starts with a sign-in dialog "box" that with the computer in this condition opens truly in full screen even covering the Task Bar. As a result, I have no access to the keyboard icon until I double click on the Title Bar to get the app back to the normal box configuration.

I'm pretty sure Dell/Intel switched some setting in the registry when the chipset drivers installed. Hopefully someone here can help?

:)

wbrands, Apr 7, 2017

2. control of automatic expanding to full screen

Open Start > All Apps > scroll down to Microsoft Word

Right click Microsoft Word shortcut

Click More

Click Open file location

Right click the Word shortcut

Click Properties

Under the Shortcut tab, click in the Run window

Click Normal window

Click Apply then OK

Repeat the same step for the PowerPoint shortcut

Andre Da Costa, Apr 7, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Start menu quirks - & and #?

Shortcuts that start with symbols that aren't in the alphabet will always come in a "&" heading, and shortcuts that start with numbers will always show under the "#" heading, so that's entirely normal.

You can easily delete the 3D Builder app, if you don't want it, by right-clicking it. But if you want to keep it and just put it somewhere else, that is not possible.

As for uTorrent, since that's a normal shortcut (not an 'app store'), that one you CAN move somewhere else by simply renaming the shortcut icon. To do that, go to your run box and run
    shellCan't Run Shortcuts in Normal Window :programs, find the uTorrent shortcut, and rename it to something else. After you restart, it will show in that section instead.

PS. If you can't find the icon after running shellCan't Run Shortcuts in Normal Window :programs, run %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs instead

PPS. You can also set your Start menu to only show your favorite pinned things, and hide the full alphabetical list. That way it will look something like this:

Can't Run Shortcuts in Normal Window [​IMG]

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Apr 7, 2017
Thema:

Can't Run Shortcuts in Normal Window

1. Can't Run Shortcuts in Normal Window - Similar Threads - Can't Run Shortcuts

2. Laptop can't start normally in normal mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop can't start normally in normal mode: It always start with this screen then restart and shows a bunch of options to use safe mode and everythingWhat should i do to get it back to normal?...
  3. Laptop can't start normally in normal mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop can't start normally in normal mode: It always start with this screen then restart and shows a bunch of options to use safe mode and everythingWhat should i do to get it back to normal?...
  4. Laptop can't start normally in normal mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Can't add a shortcut key to run screensaver

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't add a shortcut key to run screensaver: I want to assign a short cut key to PhotoScreensaver.scr. I have created a shortcut icon on Desktop. When I open Properties, it shows "Shortcut key: None" but it doesn't allow me to change it. When I click Advanced, "Run as administrator" is grayed out. I log on as...
  6. Can't Load Into Windows 10 Normally

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Load Into Windows 10 Normally: Hello guys, first post here so sorry if I forget to include some things :) Yesterday, I booted up my PC and got an error message saying something along the lines of "Reboot and insert a proper boot device". I spent the entire day troubleshooting and I ended the day with this...
  7. Make windows key run a shortcut?

in Windows 10 Support
    Make windows key run a shortcut?: I hate the windows key. How can I remap it to run a program instead? I want it to run a "show desktop" shortcut I got. 36945
  8. Can't boot normal

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't boot normal: So last night my PC went into sleep. Then upon waking it up, it never displayed the login box to access my desktop again. Once I restarted the computer it would load into a grey screen where spinning dots never stopped. I've done some troubleshooting through command prompt in...
  9. Always Open Shortcut as Normal, Minimized, or Maximized in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Always Open Shortcut as Normal, Minimized, or Maximized in Windows 10: How to: Always Open Shortcut as Normal, Minimized, or Maximized in Windows 10 How To Always Open Shortcut as Normal window, Minimized, or Maximized in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows 10, you can set a shortcut to always run with a normal window, minimized, or...
  10. Can't run a shortcut in startup folder as administrator

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't run a shortcut in startup folder as administrator: I have a program shortcut in the startup folder that I need to run as admin, otherwise it prompts me to do it manually after the system starts, which is annoying. The Shortcut tab has an Advanced button where I can check a Run as Admin box, but the system does not let me...