Windows 10: Can't run Windows Defender Scan in Safe Mode

Discus and support Can't run Windows Defender Scan in Safe Mode in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Have been noticing some troubling behavior on my machine e.g. not being able to open programs and Automatic Repair reported that it could not fix the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Hannah_943, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Can't run Windows Defender Scan in Safe Mode

Have been noticing some troubling behavior on my machine e.g. not being able to open programs and Automatic Repair reported that it could not fix the issue. Booted in safe mode and attempted to run Windows Defender scan. No matter what kind of scan it is, it stays at "0 files scanned" with "Estimated time remaining: 00:00:00."

I am not sure if this is related, but when I look at the System logs on Event Viewer, there are many errors saying "DCOM got error '1804' attempting to start the service <SERVICE> with arguments 'Unavailable' in order to run the server." <SERVICE> being various service names, depending on which error I click on.

Any idea what issue this could be? How can I get the scan to work?

:)

Hannah_943, Jun 26, 2020
  2. MACote68 Win User

windows defender scan in safe mode

I think I have a virus but Windows Defender has not found anything.

Should I run the scan in safe mode? Would that make a difference?

thanks.

MACote68, Jun 26, 2020
  3. MACote68 Win User
    windows defender scan in safe mode

I think I have a virus but Windows Defender has not found anything.

Should I run the scan in safe mode? Would that make a difference?

thanks.

MACote68, Jun 26, 2020
  4. MilanDj Win User

Can't run Windows Defender Scan in Safe Mode

MilanDj, Jun 26, 2020
Thema:

Can't run Windows Defender Scan in Safe Mode

1. Can't run Windows Defender Scan in Safe Mode - Similar Threads - Can't run Defender

2. How to run Defender in safe mode - W11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to run Defender in safe mode - W11: I have a trojan on my computer that Defender finds but cannot remove. I tried to run Defender in safe mode, but it is in the so-called gray mode and therefore does not start. Is this somehow possible or some other way to remove the trojan....
  3. How to run Defender in safe mode - W11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to run Defender in safe mode - W11: I have a trojan on my computer that Defender finds but cannot remove. I tried to run Defender in safe mode, but it is in the so-called gray mode and therefore does not start. Is this somehow possible or some other way to remove the trojan....
  4. PC can't run outside safe mode.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC can't run outside safe mode.: God Day, This issue just happened right this moment. My pc suddenly can't run outside safe mode. When I boot up my pc normally, it just shows a black screen. I don't know how to fix it yet but I hope I get an answer very soon.PC Specifications:Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-4770...
  5. PC can't run outside safe mode.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC can't run outside safe mode.: God Day, This issue just happened right this moment. My pc suddenly can't run outside safe mode. When I boot up my pc normally, it just shows a black screen. I don't know how to fix it yet but I hope I get an answer very soon.PC Specifications:Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-4770...
  6. PC can't run outside safe mode.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Windows 10 not running/Safe mode can't boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 not running/Safe mode can't boot: Hi! I've been having trouble with my Windows system lately, and I tried various things from this website, but they wouldn't work. Here's the problem:I changed my system settings in msconfig to 2 cores instead of 1, hoping my games would go faster as a result, but this was the...
  8. Safe Mode and Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Safe Mode and Defender: Just wondering if Microsoft plans to give Defender the ability to scan in safe mode. Why have they not done this yet https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/safe-mode-and-defender/2e53e988-ef7a-4369-b363-0cd235858c6e
  9. Windows defender offline scan does not work in safe mode

Windows defender offline scan does not work in safe mode: Recently began having reccuring freezing issues with my pc so tried to boot in safe mode to rule out any software issues and run offline windows defender scan in case of malware. clicking ‘scan now’ once offline scan is selected opens a prompt saying ‘save your work... will...
  10. Windows Defender not running scans

Windows Defender not running scans: I wonder if anyone can identify why Windows Defender has suddenly, i.e. the last day or two, stopped running scans on my home PC? The product is up to date: [img] If I attempt to scan a folder of file, the screen above appears and sometimes the scan will run, but more...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why wont windows defender work in safe mode network