Windows 10: Can't "safely remove" external hard drive, dllhost.exe holding lock

Discus and support Can't "safely remove" external hard drive, dllhost.exe holding lock in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi I have an external hard drive that is almost permanently plugged into my laptop to do a daily scheduled backup. The "safely remove" option never... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ExtremeUnction, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Can't "safely remove" external hard drive, dllhost.exe holding lock

Hi I have an external hard drive that is almost permanently plugged into my laptop to do a daily scheduled backup. The "safely remove" option never works though, I always get the "This device is currently in use" error. I ran Process Explorer and searched for the drive letter. I saw that dllhost.exe was holding two locks to the root directory. When I manually closed these handles, then I was able to safely remove the drive. The dllhost's command line was: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DllHost.exe /Processid:{DFB65C4C-B34F-435D-AFE9-A86218684AA8} When I looked in regedit for this GUID, I found it referenced in this key: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{AFC7B6DE-D642-41B7-AB0C-A01019510741} Values: (Default) REG_SZ Plan9FileSystemAppID REG_SZ {DFB65C4C-B34F-435D-AFE9-A86218684AA8} In the Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{AFC7B6DE-D642-41B7-AB0C-A01019510741}\InProcServer32 key I saw a value (Default) REG_SZ C:\Windows\System32\vp9fs.dll Looking at vp9fs.dll I see that it has a Microsoft Windows digital signature and looks legit. Googling the "plan 9 file system" seems to give results for some obscure file system. I don't understand why this dll is holding a lock on my external hard drive. Is there some way to stop this? Windows version: 20H2 build 19042.985.

:)

ExtremeUnction, Jun 3, 2021

2. Can't "safely remove" external hard drive, dllhost.exe holding lock

Hi

I have an external hard drive that is almost permanently plugged into my laptop to do a daily scheduled backup. The "safely remove" option never works though, I always get the "This device is currently in use" error.

I ran Process Explorer and searched for the drive letter. I saw that dllhost.exe was holding two locks to the root directory. When I manually closed these handles, then I was able to safely remove the drive.

The dllhost's command line was:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\DllHost.exe /Processid:{DFB65C4C-B34F-435D-AFE9-A86218684AA8}

When I looked in regedit for this GUID, I found it referenced in this key: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{AFC7B6DE-D642-41B7-AB0C-A01019510741}
    Values:
    • (Default) REG_SZ Plan9FileSystem
    • AppID REG_SZ {DFB65C4C-B34F-435D-AFE9-A86218684AA8}

In the Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{AFC7B6DE-D642-41B7-AB0C-A01019510741}\InProcServer32 key I saw a value (Default) REG_SZ C:\Windows\System32\vp9fs.dll

Looking at vp9fs.dll I see that it has a Microsoft Windows digital signature and looks legit. Googling the "plan 9 file system" seems to give results for some obscure file system.

I don't understand why this dll is holding a lock on my external hard drive. Is there some way to stop this?

Windows version: 20H2 build 19042.985.

ExtremeUnction, Jun 3, 2021
  3. Cannot Safely Remove External Drives

Open Device Manager, find "disk drives" and your "external drive" in the list of devices, uninstall the driver for your hard drive and then you can safely remove it. The device driver for your external drive "SHOULD" reinstall automatically next time you want to use the drive.

lopedoggie, Jun 3, 2021
  4. Can't "safely remove" external hard drive, dllhost.exe holding lock

Safely Remove Hardware - Windows 10

Hi Grant,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have concern about the how to safely removal of external device from Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

I suggest you to provide you valuable suggestion in the feedback app.

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Type "Windows Feedback" without the quotes in the search bar and click on it.

3. Then provide your suggestion.

We can also removely safely the external pen drives or external hard drive through below steps.

1. Open File Explorer.

2. It will show the list of Drives available on the computer, then right click on the external drive which you want to remove safely.

3. The click on Eject option from the list.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Jun 3, 2021
Thema:

Can't "safely remove" external hard drive, dllhost.exe holding lock

1. Can't "safely remove" external hard drive, dllhost.exe holding lock - Similar Threads - Can't safely remove

2. Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive: Hi,I read somewhere few weeks back that Windows 11 has a feature, if turned on, removes the need to eject the external hard drive, i.e., the external drive can be removed safely without going through the ejection process. Note: I have not been able to locate that article.I...
  3. Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive: Hi,I read somewhere few weeks back that Windows 11 has a feature, if turned on, removes the need to eject the external hard drive, i.e., the external drive can be removed safely without going through the ejection process. Note: I have not been able to locate that article.I...
  4. Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot safely remove external hard disk

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot safely remove external hard disk: When i right click safely remove Hardware and eject media, my idle hard drive automatically starts vibrating (reading/writing I dont know) everytime and then if i try to eject it says the device is currently in use. Why is this happening? I now have to shut down my laptop if...
  6. System locked external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System locked external hard drive: Hello, I locked the Pictures folder on my external hard drive using Windows (drive X for this purpose). I believe I used the Security tab on the folder and SYSTEM locked it...basically making it so that if that drive X was not connected to my PC, that folder was...
  7. Can't disconnect external hard drive safely?

Can't disconnect external hard drive safely?: I connected two external hard drives last night to transfer information, I then tried removing them as I believed all was done but the external hard drive I was transferring onto was still in use and couldn't be removed so I left the computer running all night hoping it would...
  8. external hard drive is locked

in Windows 10 Customization
    external hard drive is locked: I add an external hard drive, Seagate Expansion Drive. I moved my Libraries, including my iTunes library and all the files, from my internal hard drive (c://). I now have several problems. A network path to this drive, appears to go through another external drive. E:...
  9. Cannot Safely Remove External Drives

Cannot Safely Remove External Drives: Hello all, In recent weeks, it has become impossible for me to safely remove my external drives. (Mostly, I use Western Digital Passports, Passport Ultras, etc). I am using Windows 10. I close all of my programs and folders. I get the "busy" message and to try again...
  10. How to safely remove an external drive?

How to safely remove an external drive?: I always have problems to safely remove an external drive: [img] The Task Manager causing an error message when I try to safely remove an external is closed. There is no process shown accessing anything on the external drive: [img] What else could I do (besides...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. www.windowsphoneinfo.com