Windows 10: Can't safely remove hardware because I can't right click on the icon.

Discus and support Can't safely remove hardware because I can't right click on the icon. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This is such a frustrating issue. 1/4 of the time when I plug in an external device I cannot right click on the safely remove icon, I right click... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ManhattanArcade, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Can't safely remove hardware because I can't right click on the icon.

This is such a frustrating issue.

1/4 of the time when I plug in an external device I cannot right click on the safely remove icon, I right click but nothing happens. This forces me to completely shut down my computer just so I can unplug my external HD or USB stick without the risk of corrupting my data.

Does anyone know of a known fix for this?

:)

ManhattanArcade, Oct 18, 2018

2. Safely remove hardware icon

Hi Cynthia,

For us to properly isolate the missing "Safely Remove Hardware icon" issue, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • When did the issue first begin?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Normally, this icon isn’t missing and it’s most likely hidden in your Taskbar. To reveal this icon, you may click the arrow in the bottom right corner to show more sysbar icons. If it is available, you may pin it to your Taskbar by following the steps below:

• Connect a USB flash drive or any other removable storage to your PC.
    • Click the arrow in the bottom right corner to expand the sysbar section.
    • Now locate Safely Remove Hardware icon and drag it to your Taskbar.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Oct 18, 2018
  3. FrankS Win User
    Safely Remove Hardware icon missing

Hi
    In the last few days the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon has gone missing from my Taskbar. Also, if I right-click on the USB stick or USB hard drive in 'This Computer' the Eject option is missing.
    In PC Settings/Personalisation/Taskbar/Notification area/Select which icons appear on the taskbar I have 'Always show all icons in the notification area' switched on & all items in the list are in the 'on' state including 'Windows Explorer (Safely Remove Hardware & Eject Media).
    Any suggestions?

FrankS, Oct 18, 2018
  4. franjomom Win User

Can't safely remove hardware because I can't right click on the icon.

can't find the Safely Remove Hardware icon

I run Win 10 on my HP desktop. My "Safely Remove Hardware" icon disappeared from my TASKBAR recently . I can no longer see the letters for USB keys that I inserted , so I cannot click on one to eject.

In "THIS PC", my icons representing detachable drives disappeared , so I can no longer click on one to see the contents of a USB key or a detachable drive. I looked it up on Virtual Agent :

It said select "show hidden Icons" but I am not given that choice. I clicked Taskbar settings and it did not offer me a solution. Nothing below helped.

• Look for the Safely Remove Hardwareicon on the taskbar. If you don't see it, select Show hidden icons
       . Press and hold (or right-click) the icon and select the hardware you want to remove.
    • If you can't find the Safely Remove Hardware
      icon, press and hold (or right-click) the taskbar and select
      Taskbar settings
    • Under Notification Area, choose
      Select which icons appear on the taskbar.
    • Scroll to Windows Explorer: Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media
      and turn it on.
    • If this doesn't work, make sure the device has stopped all activity like copying or syncing files. Select
      Start
      > Settings
      > Devices. Select the device, and click
      Remove device.
    • Finally, check with the hardware manufacturer for new drivers or other updates.
    None of that helped. Please help me!

JoAn

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage]

franjomom, Oct 18, 2018
Thema:

Can't safely remove hardware because I can't right click on the icon.

1. Can't safely remove hardware because I can't right click on the icon. - Similar Threads - Can't safely remove

2. Safely Remove Hardware icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Safely Remove Hardware icon: I have my USB device set for "better performance"; yet I can't get the Safely Remove icon to appear on my taskbar. I can see it only by going to "Show hidden icons." How can I get this icon to appear on the taskbar, or on the Windows list of "Select which icons appear on the...
  3. Safely Remove Hardware icon

Safely Remove Hardware icon: I cannot display Safely Remove icon on my taskbar. It is turned on in Settings/Select which icons appear - but does not appear. It is not showing in Hidden Icons. ??????...
  4. Can't click on icons and right click

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't click on icons and right click: I had my whole PC full and games started to lag I did a reset I starting downloading chrome and steam and suddenly I couldn't click on my desktop I don't know what happend I tried restarting windows explorer and doing other things submitted by /u/Deluxxxe5719 [link]...
  5. Audio Icon can't be clicked(left/right)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio Icon can't be clicked(left/right): Hello, I am on Win 10, 1803(Ver) on 64bit OS ,x64 processor. I have Conexant SmartAudio Audio driver installed for microphone and speaker. I can't seem to click the Speaker icon in the task bar, right or left. I noticed this issue when I couldn't set "Hey Cortana". I have...
  6. safely remove hardware icon

safely remove hardware icon: where is safely remove hardware icon https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/safely-remove-hardware-icon/b1cc5b40-80b4-4081-94b1-ca06b4acb523
  7. Safely remove hardware icon

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Safely remove hardware icon: Is it possible to permanently get rid of this annoying little icon? So far, i have found this program to get rid of it, but i think its a bit silly to have a program installed just to get rid of the icon. 116907
  8. Can't delete Desktop Icons with a right click

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't delete Desktop Icons with a right click: Instead, I have to use the Delete button. Is this normal? 74701
  9. Taskbar: Can't right click app icons & can't left click system icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar: Can't right click app icons & can't left click system icons: Hi, After doing a lot of tweaking, I've came across a very weird problem at taskbar. When I right click pinned apps on taskbar nothing happens. But left click works. When I left click system icons like volume and network, nothing happens. But right click works....
  10. Can't right click taskbar icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't right click taskbar icons: I can't right click taskbar apps, left click works as it should but not the right click. Also left clicking start button won't open start menu, right click works on this one as it works on other system icons (volume, network, clock and notification) but not the left click....