Windows 10: Can't Save a Letter Typed in Wordpad and Print It?

Discus and support Can't Save a Letter Typed in Wordpad and Print It? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; First let me say that I know very little about computers, and joined here due to some struggles with my new Windows 10 computer. Thanks to all who take... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Bigfoot, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Bigfoot Win User

Can't Save a Letter Typed in Wordpad and Print It?

First let me say that I know very little about computers, and joined here due to some struggles with my new Windows 10 computer. Thanks to all who take the time to read this and reply.

Once in awhile I'll write a letter on my computer, save it to Documents, then have the option to edit it and print it out. I never had any issues in Windows 7. I don't want to pay extra money for any special software to do this.

I just wrote a letter using Wordpad. I saved it to Documents. When I went to open it and look at it before I printed it out, I had the option to do neither.

I kept getting popups that blocked my "Word" letter, that said I had to sign up for Microsoft Office, I had to sign an agreement, etc. I don't want to sign up for anything and pay for it to do this. The popups didn't allow me to even read my letter again, copy or move it anywhere else, or print it.

Isn't there a simple way to type a letter with Windows 10, save it, edit it or print it without buying or downloading any special software? There's already so much stuff on this Windows 10 computer that I don't use and never will.

I finally ended up retyping it in Wordpad and printing it out from there without saving it, but I want the option to save these things if desired.

:)

Bigfoot, Oct 13, 2017

2. how can I type a letter

There's many ways to accomplish this, but one easy way to type a letter in Windows 10 by opening the built-in "WordPad" program.

• Click the Start button
    • Type "wordpad" to find the WordPad program (it will search as you are typing)
    • Open the program and write your letter
    • Click File menu at the top to Save or Print your letter

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Oct 13, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    I would like to type a letter, then make a copy of it on my Windows 10.

Hi Lee, if you do not have Microsoft Office installed on your PC, Windows 10 comes with a basic Word Processor called Wordpad, which is perfect for Typing letters . . .

Click your Start Button, type wordpad and hit Enter to open Wordpad

Type your letter and save it (File - Save As)

Then if you want 2 physical copies of the file, print 2 copies

If you want 2 digital copies of the files, save the file again with a different name

DaveM121, Oct 13, 2017
  4. Can't Save a Letter Typed in Wordpad and Print It?

Hi Bigfoot. Simple answers is yes.

Do you have an Outlook.com account (or hotmail, msn or Live) ? If yes click on the nines little squares upper left and click on "Word". This is a program you have to use online and it saves it in your Onedrive.

If you don't have an Outlook.com account how about a gmail account. In that case click on the nine little squares in upper right. Clcik on Google drive, then new and use Google docs. This saves to your google Drive.

You can save, edit or print.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 13, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    That is the salient point - you should be able to.

WordPad is free, included in all versions of Windows and works perfectly fine for simple documents. If you are happy with it you may as well use it.

It sounds like you have a trial of Word included which has grabbed the extension .rtf that WordPad uses by default and associated it with the paid Microsoft Word. This is to "encourage" you to pay for their subscription.

If you don't want to and are happy using WordPad what you can do is this:

Make a document (just a couple of words will do) in WordPad and save it. By default it uses the file extension .rtf You can leave that extension type - it is fine.

Can't Save a Letter Typed in Wordpad and Print It? [​IMG]

Right-click on the document you saved and select "Open with" like this

Then click on "More apps"

Then scroll down, pick WordPad, tick the box "Always use this app to open .rtf files" and click "OK"

After doing that all .rtf documents should automatically open in WordPad every time for you to print/edit or whatever.

6. Bigfoot Win User
    Thanks Ken, the only email account I have is with my ISP, Comcast.

Bigfoot, Oct 13, 2017
  7. Bigfoot Win User
    Thanks so much LX07, I followed your instructions and it was very easy to do and worked perfectly! Life is good again! *Smile

Bigfoot, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can't Save a Letter Typed in Wordpad and Print It?

1. Can't Save a Letter Typed in Wordpad and Print It? - Similar Threads - Can't Save Letter

2. Wordpad can't choose letter size.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wordpad can't choose letter size.: I often use the built in Wordpad for taking notes + recipes so I have a lot of saved documents in rtf. Recently I bought a Dymo label printer and since hooking that up Wordpad keeps Automatically Selecting the paper size to a label size 30252 Address, which makes my regular...
  3. Wordpad can't choose letter size.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wordpad can't choose letter size.: I often use the built in Wordpad for taking notes + recipes so I have a lot of saved documents in rtf. Recently I bought a Dymo label printer and since hooking that up Wordpad keeps Automatically Selecting the paper size to a label size 30252 Address, which makes my regular...
  4. type letters - prints number?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    type letters - prints number?: HiOn my wifes Laptop alongside some of the letters are numbers J1 K2 L3 M0 and so on when you try and type the letter it puts the number in.How can I put it back to normal please?Thank you Mr Soft...
  5. type letters - prints number?

in Windows 10 Customization
    type letters - prints number?: HiOn my wifes Laptop alongside some of the letters are numbers J1 K2 L3 M0 and so on when you try and type the letter it puts the number in.How can I put it back to normal please?Thank you Mr Soft...
  6. type letters - prints number?

7. WordPad saving glitch

WordPad saving glitch: Wordpad is not working. My friend saved all her work but what is going on!!! Help!!! She am freaking out cause' she had A school assignment It was supposed to be completed on Wednesday, and her work was too long to re-type! She tried to paste it on Microsoft word, but that...
  8. Save a document in WordPad

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Save a document in WordPad: WordPad will NOT let me save a document....I keep getting a message saying the name is not valid no matter what I try to name it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/save-a-document-in-wordpad/3ec3e6d2-8a72-40eb-8e04-f214344ca462
  9. I can't print from WordPad

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I can't print from WordPad: In the past I could write and print using word pad, Now when I hit print the printed pages are empty of script. Second I tried to switch to One Note however have problems starting new One Note. My old one notes are there and I can print but I cant start a new One Note page...
  10. Save windows in WordPad

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Save windows in WordPad: It would be nice to have a way to save all opened windows in WordPad; e.g., under "Close all windows" option we could have the option to "Save all Windows." Is it possible ?...