Windows 10: Can't save/copy to Desktop, Documents, Videos, Music or Pictures after removing Norton...

Discus and support Can't save/copy to Desktop, Documents, Videos, Music or Pictures after removing Norton... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I recently bough an Acer laptop that came pre-installed with a free trial of Norton Security After uninstalling Norton Security I have lost write... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by GordonWells, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Can't save/copy to Desktop, Documents, Videos, Music or Pictures after removing Norton...

I recently bough an Acer laptop that came pre-installed with a free trial of Norton Security

After uninstalling Norton Security I have lost write access to the Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music and Desktop folders.

I've been trying to get support from Acer, Nortand and Microsoft to resolve this. No luck yet.

I've confirmed that I have full permissions and that I am the owner of these folders. My user account is also an administrator account
    (yet it seems to be missing privileges).

If I create a new user, they have write access briefly. Even if this worked, I want to fix my original account.

Some forum posts suggest (eg https://t.co/tMp8Mmem7K) that this related to Controlled Folder Access in Windows Defender. But when I try to navigate to that it says I don't have permissions (even though my user account has administrator rights). I'm further told to contact 'my IT department' because they restricted access, yet this is a private laptop (why don't I have full privileges for a laptop I bought?)

This partial transcript with Norton support also suggests the problem is due to conflict between Windows Defender and the trial Norton Software.

"""
    Nortons: Gordon, I would like to inform you that, when Norton was installed on your computer, it was took over windows firewall settings and due to which you were not getting the permission window to move or make changes in files.
    Nortons: But when you have removed Norton, Windows Firewall came to picture and now it is controling your computer and that is the reason, you are getting the message.
    Nortons: If you will click on Administrator, the Change Account Type gets grayed out.
    Gordon Wells: How do I fix it?
    Nortons: You will need to contact Micosoft support team and ask them to make the account as admin.
    """

Microsoft tech support were helpful and suggested doing an 'in-place-upgrade', but this didn't fix the problem either

I've tried Microsoft Security Essentials too, but can't install it (it says no need because I have Windows Defender, but I can't access all the settings in WD). I've had no luck using the hidden administrator account either (same lack of access to certain settings in WD)

How do I restore full access to my folders?

:)

GordonWells, Aug 11, 2019
  2. smacPZ Win User

Remove Music, Pictures, Videos folders from Documents Library?

I'm using Windows 10 and have no use for the Music, Pictures, and Videos folders that appear in the Documents library. I want to remove them, or at the very least hide them from the folder listing. It's very annoying that Windows doesn't want to let you
    do that.

To be clear, I'm not talking about removing them from the explorer left side panel. I want to stop them from showing up in the Documents list. Does anyone know a simple way to do this? Thanks.

smacPZ, Aug 11, 2019
  3. enso Win User
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

4. BobZ Win User

Can't save/copy to Desktop, Documents, Videos, Music or Pictures after removing Norton...

Unable to Save to Documents

I can't move, copy or save anything to my Documents folder. I checked the properties of the folder, under serurity it listed only Home Users and WMP Network Svc. My account name is listed in the srcurity tabs of Pictures, Music, etc., and I am able to save, copy and move to those folders. My account is listed in C:/Windows/Users/myname/Documents under the security tab. How do I add my name to the Documents folder in File Explorer? I think that should fix my problem.

In a not so critical glitch, my computer will not go to sleep using the power settings in the control panel.

Thema:

Can't save/copy to Desktop, Documents, Videos, Music or Pictures after removing Norton...

1. Can't save/copy to Desktop, Documents, Videos, Music or Pictures after removing Norton... - Similar Threads - Can't save copy

2. Standard Folders from File explorerDownloads, Documents, Videos, Pictures, Music not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Standard Folders from File explorerDownloads, Documents, Videos, Pictures, Music not...: Below in the folders in Box 1 should show underBox 2 and 3. Can.t seem to have it working even after 3 resets. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/standard-folders-from-file-explorerdownloads/6f9e379b-9b5f-4bf4-9f76-377f7fe143af
  3. Standard Folders from File explorerDownloads, Documents, Videos, Pictures, Music not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Standard Folders from File explorerDownloads, Documents, Videos, Pictures, Music not...: Below in the folders in Box 1 should show underBox 2 and 3. Can.t seem to have it working even after 3 resets. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/standard-folders-from-file-explorerdownloads/6f9e379b-9b5f-4bf4-9f76-377f7fe143af
  4. Can't access My Pictures, Videos, Music

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't access My Pictures, Videos, Music: Hi, I have been unable to access my pictures since I moved my files to a my new computer. [img] [img] Same result trying from C:\Users\Me [img] I don't see any other way to access those folders. There are new Picture, Video and Music folders but they only show up in...
  5. Main folders "Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos" disappeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Main folders "Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos" disappeared: I was trying to move my folders "Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos" from C drive to D drive, somehow I merged them by mistake and now none of them is visible. I tried to recover them but all I did failed. What can I do?...
  6. Missing almost all files in Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, and Videos after...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Missing almost all files in Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, and Videos after...: Hello fellow redditors. I have a weird problem with my PC and missing files, to the point where after hours of google searching for a working solution, I am posting here with hopes for a good solution. Today I de-dusted my longtime PC (8 years and still going strong!) and...
  7. Folders: Changing directory of user library folders desktop, music, pictures, documents, videos

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folders: Changing directory of user library folders desktop, music, pictures, documents, videos: For the user library folders such as Desktop, Music, Pictures, I know that the directory can be changed by going in to "properties" > "location" Like so: https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/change-location-of-user-folders-in-windows/ I'm looking to change the directory of these...
  8. Default Documents/Music/Pictures/Videos folder alternatives?

in Windows 10 Support
    Default Documents/Music/Pictures/Videos folder alternatives?: For those of us finally fed up with the colossal mess applications have made of them (particularly “Documents”). And also for those of us still with just the “C:\” drive to work with. I’ve long heard that it’s simply not viable to use a new “Local Disc C:\” folder for such...
  9. Can't remove Music, Videos & Pictures user folders from Backup Options

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can't remove Music, Videos & Pictures user folders from Backup Options: Trying to setup the built-in Backup (File History) to make automatic copies of some important work files. I do not need to backup such user folders as Music, Videos and Pictures using this tool, but I can't remove them from the backup settings. They are always returned to the...
  10. Move but not copy Music folder into Documents

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move but not copy Music folder into Documents: When I had Windows 7, I had literally every single thing in My Documents. Every song, every file, every tax record, every picture...literally everything. That way, when I backed up my hard drive, I just plugged in the My Passport Ultra drive, synced it with My Documents, and...