Windows 10: Can't save file in C:\ root directory

Discus and support Can't save file in C:\ root directory in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I want to save files in my C:\ root directory of my boot drive and get an error that "Required privilege is not held by the client". I am the sole... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by fussybob, Sep 12, 2016.

1. fussybob Win User

Can't save file in C:\ root directory

I want to save files in my C:\ root directory of my boot drive and get an error that "Required privilege is not held by the client". I am the sole user/administrator of this system. I went into C:, properties, security, and enabled permissions for everything and everyone.

I can make/delete new folders in the C: drive, and save/delete files in those folders.
    My Win 10 system works just fine, except for me to save a file in the C; root directory

I can save files from apps to the C:\, and if I save the same file again, it tells me it exists and if I want to overwrite it, so it is indeed saved to the root directory.

In windows explorer I can't see those saved files in the root directory.

Any suggestions?

:)

fussybob, Sep 12, 2016
  2. BigT1965 Win User

What are these files 1bccc6a55feb06465f27253b879caa54_f820ab25-4d51-4e20-97d5-18f9cfca120f

These files are, in fact, owned by TrustedInstaller. I can change the ownership one file at a time but there are 490 of them. They are located in the C:\ root directory so I can't change the ownership of drive C because it wants to change every file
    in the drive. Is there any way to change the ownership of these files as a group?

BigT1965, Sep 12, 2016
  3. Syncing wrong user's email

There is a file called pim.vol in the Root directory that you can save. After you hard reset the device rename the NEW pim.vol as pim.old and then copy the one you saved into the root directory. Your device will now have the contacts etc that were on the
    device

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Sep 12, 2016
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Best practice has always been to save files to a folder and not to the root of c. Why is this necessary? Changing permissions as you have done is a security risk and you need a really compelling reason to do so.

LMiller7, Sep 12, 2016
  5. simrick Win User
    *Ditto Agreed.

simrick, Sep 12, 2016
  6. fussybob Win User
    I agree with what you say, but one should be able to save a file to the root directory as one was able to do in the past Windows versions. I have never seen where MS stated that you will no longer be able to save files to the root directory, I just felt something was wrong with my system/install.

fussybob, Sep 12, 2016
  7. Bree New Member
    No, it's working as designed - to protect you (or at least, the average Joe) from themselves. If you really have a genuine reason for needing to place a file in the root of C:\ then you can - just save it somewhere else first, then copy (or move) it to C:\ with File Explorer. You'll get a different popup warning - one that does let you continue....

Can't save file in C:\ root directory [​IMG]

8. Adalwar Win User

You may to try to Disable Completely the UAC in Registry : EnableLUA=0.
    See if works.

Adalwar, Sep 12, 2016
  9. As a local admin, I'm able to save files there by default. I get a security prompt, but that's it. On our corporate machines, I put our logo there as a user profile icon. Nothing else gets saved there, as there's no reason to do so. You don't want to be able to save anything to the root, as you could cause the system to not boot (potentially).

DeaconFrost, Sep 12, 2016
  10. Berton Win User
    Historically [in the good old DOS days] there was a limit of 512 files in the Root of the C:/boot drive but with the advent of Win95 and LFN/Long File Names that reduced the capacity by about half, more or less. That limit does not exist with the number of files in a Folder.

Berton, Sep 12, 2016
  11. Haxcid Win User
    Enable the admin account and save them with it. This is a designed layer of security. Windows will save from most software that is cleared through smart screen filter (if enabled). Essentially it is trying to protect you from yourself. Think of the root dir as a holy place where you should not wander, it is why they gave you a profile and corresponding directory to run wild in. If this is something that all users on the machine needs access to then put it in the public profile.

Haxcid, Sep 12, 2016
  12. fussybob Win User
    I don't get the window that you do I get this window when I try to Copy

OK, I can now move the file to the C:\ root by right clicking the file in windows explorer and selecting Move, Cut and Paste, or Dragging, but not using "Copy", it triggers the error below. No big deal doing it with out the Copy, but something just seems strange. And to everyone I do agree that I will most likely never add a file to the root directory, but someday I just may need a reason to do so.

Can't save file in C:\ root directory [​IMG]

fussybob, Sep 12, 2016
  13. fussybob Win User

Please explain - "Enable the admin account and save them with it."

I am the admin, no other users on this system but me. I gave all the file permissions to Administrators, Users, System etc.

fussybob, Sep 12, 2016
  14. RolandJS Win User
    From personal experience, I don't adjust Windows Prime much, especially with permissions and normal operations; you might find yourself reaching for either Factory Restore or Windows install DVD, or in my case: restorable full image backup of OS partition. My data, being in a separate partition, was unaffected.

RolandJS, Sep 12, 2016
  15. lx07 Win User
    That was probably a mistake and will continue to cause you problems down the road - not to mention opening up your PC to malware.

I may be wise to reset permissions to default (you could try Windows Repair Free)

When it comes to saving to the root, in addition to copying or signing on to the built in Administrator account already mentioned you can run your program as Administrator. For example if you search for notepad.exe, right click and run as Administrator it will let you save to root of C. Any files you save will be owned by Administrators group however, not your profile. A better solution might be to make a single directory there (and give everyone full access to it if you want) and then use that.

Thema:

1. Can't save file in C:\ root directory - Similar Threads - Can't save file

2. Create files on C: root

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create files on C: root: Hi all, I need non-admin users to create files in c: root due to a poor written Epson x32 app.Hence I've added these 2 special permissions in c:\:. users: create files in this folder only. auth users: create folders in this folder only. creator owner: full control in files...
  3. Create files on C: root

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create files on C: root: Hi all, I need non-admin users to create files in c: root due to a poor written Epson x32 app.Hence I've added these 2 special permissions in c:\:. users: create files in this folder only. auth users: create folders in this folder only. creator owner: full control in files...
  4. Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.: This seems to be a permissions problem, but I can't find what's causing this. I have tried many things.I have a 4TB Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk. It checks fine and works well with one exception. I can't create folders or files in the root directory. Other directories are...
  5. Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.: This seems to be a permissions problem, but I can't find what's causing this. I have tried many things.I have a 4TB Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk. It checks fine and works well with one exception. I can't create folders or files in the root directory. Other directories are...
  6. Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. User folder in the C: root directory

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User folder in the C: root directory: I have 8 folders in my User folder. Each folder contains from two to 29 items. Can I copy each of the seven smaller folders into the largest folder and then delete the seven smaller folders?...
  8. Strange file in C:\ root?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange file in C:\ root?: Sorry for the asinine question but does anyone have any idea what this file is that's just appeared in the root of my C:\ drive? https://ibb.co/TMgVDzF submitted by /u/D3SOL4TE [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k39uqr/strange_file_in_c_root/
  9. Can't save to c: root

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't save to c: root: Get error message when I try to save a document or picture on c:\ 'A required privilege is not held by client.' Is there a way to fix this? Thank you. 14643
  10. Quixxxx.tmp directories on root

in Windows 10 Support
    Quixxxx.tmp directories on root: I have all these directories starting with Qui...tmp on one of my laptops. about 20-30 of them, all empty. I get nothing via google. Anyone ever seen this? 67218

Users found this page by searching for:

1. local admin cant save to c Windows 10