Windows 10: Can't save file in C:\ root directory

Discus and support Can't save file in C:\ root directory in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Please explain - "Enable the admin account and save them with it." I am the admin, no other users on this system but me. I gave all the file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by fussybob, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Bree New Member

Can't save file in C:\ root directory

Not quite, you are an administrator (a member of the Administrators group) not the Administrator. That honour (and unrestricted access) belongs to the built-in Administrator account (which for good reason is disabled by default).

2. LMiller7 Win User

The built in administrator account should be reserved for when you really need it. For most people that will be never. Using the account is a security risk and you will also find some things, such as modern Apps, will not work. This is by design.

An added problem with giving other users access to the root of C is that it doesn't stop there. Any folders that are now added to the root of C will by default inherit these permissions, as will any subfolders and files. This is not a good thing. Any previously existing folders and files will be unaffected.

LMiller7, Sep 12, 2016
  3. Haxcid Win User
    Like I said, this is made that way to protect you from yourself. But if you have to absolutely save the file there then enable the admin account because yes even though your are an admin your are not THEE admin. Save the file then give your regular account read write modify permissions.

Haxcid, Sep 12, 2016
  4. fussybob Win User

All is fine now!

I restored my C: drive to a backup that was done on 9-1-16 that has the Win 10 Anniversary update.
    Which reset all my security permissions back to Win10 defaults.

I use Acronis TI2016 to perform backups. I exclude backing up the following files.

hiberfil.sys
    pagefile.sys
    swapfile.sys
    System Volume Information

After the restore these 4 files need to rebuild themselves.

Well I can now copy/move any file to the C:\ root directory with ease, I get the popup window asking for administrator permission, hit continue, and the file shows up.

Something got reset in the restore processs.

All is good! Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

fussybob, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't save file in C:\ root directory - Similar Threads - Can't save file

2. Create files on C: root

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create files on C: root: Hi all, I need non-admin users to create files in c: root due to a poor written Epson x32 app.Hence I've added these 2 special permissions in c:\:. users: create files in this folder only. auth users: create folders in this folder only. creator owner: full control in files...
  3. Create files on C: root

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create files on C: root: Hi all, I need non-admin users to create files in c: root due to a poor written Epson x32 app.Hence I've added these 2 special permissions in c:\:. users: create files in this folder only. auth users: create folders in this folder only. creator owner: full control in files...
  4. Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.: This seems to be a permissions problem, but I can't find what's causing this. I have tried many things.I have a 4TB Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk. It checks fine and works well with one exception. I can't create folders or files in the root directory. Other directories are...
  5. Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.: This seems to be a permissions problem, but I can't find what's causing this. I have tried many things.I have a 4TB Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk. It checks fine and works well with one exception. I can't create folders or files in the root directory. Other directories are...
  6. Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. User folder in the C: root directory

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User folder in the C: root directory: I have 8 folders in my User folder. Each folder contains from two to 29 items. Can I copy each of the seven smaller folders into the largest folder and then delete the seven smaller folders?...
  8. Strange file in C:\ root?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange file in C:\ root?: Sorry for the asinine question but does anyone have any idea what this file is that's just appeared in the root of my C:\ drive? https://ibb.co/TMgVDzF submitted by /u/D3SOL4TE [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k39uqr/strange_file_in_c_root/
  9. Can't save to c: root

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't save to c: root: Get error message when I try to save a document or picture on c:\ 'A required privilege is not held by client.' Is there a way to fix this? Thank you. 14643
  10. Quixxxx.tmp directories on root

in Windows 10 Support
    Quixxxx.tmp directories on root: I have all these directories starting with Qui...tmp on one of my laptops. about 20-30 of them, all empty. I get nothing via google. Anyone ever seen this? 67218