Windows 10: Can't save to c: root

Discus and support Can't save to c: root in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Get error message when I try to save a document or picture on c:\ 'A required privilege is not held by client.' Is there a way to fix this? Thank you.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rkymtn, Aug 8, 2015.

1. rkymtn Win User

Can't save to c: root

Get error message when I try to save a document or picture on c:\ 'A required privilege is not held by client.' Is there a way to fix this? Thank you.

:)

rkymtn, Aug 8, 2015

2. WINDOWS 10 SAVING A FILE TO THE C:\ ROOT DRIVE. ERROR MSG: 0x80070522

This is a security restriction. Instead of saving files to the root of C:, you first create a folder in the root of C:, then save your files there.

Frederik Long, Aug 8, 2015
  3. Vlaphor Win User
    Lost the ability to save to the root of two of my drives

I have a bizarre problem that has crept up following the upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10, and that I that I can't save files off of the internet to the root of my C: or H: drives. I can save files to the
    roots of the other drives, and I can save files to folders in C&H drives, but not to the root of the drives. I get the error on H: that says "A Required Privilege is Not Held By The Client" and when I try to save in C: root, it tells me to contact the Admin,
    which I am. I can copy files from within the computer to the C&H roots, but not from the internet. I'm the only user of this computer and have already tried a wide variety of rights ownership methods to the drive, but that only seems to have taken in the folders
    and not the root.

I did find one solution online that did work, but it had problems of its own. It told me how to go into the registry to completely disable UAC, and that did let me download files off
    of the internet onto the H:\ drive...but with UAC off, then I can't use Microsoft Apps, some of which I kinda like. I swear that H: has the exact same permissions as the other drives that work just fine, but I can't save files off of the internet onto the
    root of H:\. I really, really don't want to do a fresh install as I have tons of tweaks that would take forever to reinstall, but this is infuriating and Google tells me that I'm the only person on the planet having this issue. Please help someone.

Vlaphor, Aug 8, 2015
  4. YOU
    You Win User

Right click the C: drive in This PC, click "Properties", click the "Security" tab, click the "Advanced" button, click "Change" next to TrustedInstaller (or whoever the owner is), type "administrators" under "Enter the object name to select", click the "OK" button, make sure "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" is unchecked, click "OK", click the "Edit..." button, click on "Administrators", check the "Full control" box, then click "OK" on both open dialogs.

This should allow only admins to be able to made modifications in C: drive (giving low-privileged accounts or Guest access to C: is a security risk).

5. rkymtn Win User
    I carefully followed your instructions, but I am still getting the same result.

rkymtn, Aug 8, 2015
  6. Hydranix Win User
    How are you trying to save the file to the disk. Through explorer?

Or are you saving it from another program?

Hydranix, Aug 8, 2015
  7. rkymtn Win User
    I have tried Explorer, Edge, Excel, and Word. None work.

rkymtn, Aug 8, 2015
  8. Hydranix Win User

Ok try this:

Open Start Menu
    All Apps
    Scroll down to the bottom and open administrator tools
    open computer management.

On the left TreeView select Users and Groups
    Under Users, double click your user name.
    Take note of everything in the member of tab.

Let me know what all is listed in the member of tab.

Hydranix, Aug 8, 2015
  9. XweAponX Win User
    I had heard of this happening back in Windows 8.1, between 8 and 8.1 the security of various folders had been increased, sometimes to the point where yo could not get into "Program Files" at all.

As a test, I just dragged a file there, and sure enough, I was prompted for Admin Permissions. But I was able to hit "Continue" and it copied. But when I deleted the file, it did the same thing. Sounds like this is normal, I don't think changing permissions on the root folder is wise though, I'm trying to remember if there are settings that reduce security prompts - Try moving UAC down to the bottom, I think that's it.

XweAponX, Aug 8, 2015
  10. XweAponX Win User
    If he's on a Home version of Windows 10, that won't be shown there, will it? If he's on Home that might explain it.

XweAponX, Aug 8, 2015
  11. rkymtn Win User
    Sorry, I don't have Users & Groups in the Tree List. I have Systems Tools, Storage, and Service & Application. I didn't see Users & Groups under either of these.

By the way, I have moved UAC all the way down.

rkymtn, Aug 8, 2015
  12. You shouldn't be saving files to the root of the C drive. Either create a folder or user your USER directory.

logicearth, Aug 8, 2015
  13. rkymtn Win User

Why? I have done this for years under every other version of Windows. Have had no problems.

rkymtn, Aug 8, 2015
  14. It's not a matter of "Why", it's a matter of getting your work done with the least amount of hate and discontent.

So I take my own advise, "stop grumbling and jousting with windmills and find another way around the problem".
    MS doesn't like us saving files to the root directory of C:, so why not save them somewhere else?

While setting up a new PC, or installing a new OS, I run a set of batch files, to install several of my programs into Windows.
    The root of C: would be an ideal place, but since it's forbidden territory, I just modify my batch files to Create a new directory under C: and then load my files there. No harm, no foul and Job Done. *Smile

Live is too short to dual with the MS Gremlins. Just go around them. Eh?
    OH....and if you've not installed "Grant Admin Full Control" yet, it's about time you did!
    I call that "Take Ownership" on Steroids! *Smile
    It lets you right click on any file or folder in the PC, except C:\, and then become the Owner of it.
    That just makes Life With Windows so much easier.

Cheers mates!
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Aug 8, 2015
  15. XweAponX Win User
    That's why I refuse to use Windows Home Anything, they yanked that out of the system and for me it's just about unusable without it.

XweAponX, Aug 9, 2015
Thema:

1. Can't save to c: root - Similar Threads - Can't save root

2. shortcuts in the root of C: drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    shortcuts in the root of C: drive: Hi,i noticed that i have two shortcuts showing upp in the root of C: drive on all the computers that we have 1500. a shortcut for Program and one for documents and settings. they show up after the re-image is finalized. we use SCCM latest branch any ideas where these two...
  3. shortcuts in the root of C: drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    shortcuts in the root of C: drive: Hi,i noticed that i have two shortcuts showing upp in the root of C: drive on all the computers that we have 1500. a shortcut for Program and one for documents and settings. they show up after the re-image is finalized. we use SCCM latest branch any ideas where these two...
  4. shortcuts in the root of C: drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Strange file in C:\ root?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange file in C:\ root?: Sorry for the asinine question but does anyone have any idea what this file is that's just appeared in the root of my C:\ drive? https://ibb.co/TMgVDzF submitted by /u/D3SOL4TE [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k39uqr/strange_file_in_c_root/
  6. Here it is again. Can't write to Root of C: drive.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Here it is again. Can't write to Root of C: drive.: [ATTACH] Tried to edit an .inf file. [ATTACH] Tried to save an MS Word file Root C: [ATTACH] Similar with MS Excel. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/here-it-is-again-cant-write-to-root-of-c-drive/022edb99-ee18-41ff-b808-a4950c0a5665
  7. Writing to the root ... C:\

Writing to the root ... C:\: Every time I turn around, I'm not able to save files to the root of C drive. Can someone tell me how to fix this problem once and for all time? I don't care that some people feel as though I shouldn't be writing there. I have times when I need to edit files there or I just...
  8. Can't save to C: drive.

Can't save to C: drive.: I have a Windows 10 HP Laptop. Every time I try to save to my c: drive, I get an error message saying access denied. I am the only user and the Administrator. I checked settings for access, sharing, etc. Help!...
  9. $xxx Folders in Root of C:

in Windows 10 Support
    $xxx Folders in Root of C:: I was under the impression that these folders would go away or can be deleted, BUT !! Has been some time from 1511 build was installed. C:\ $Windows -W " - BT C:\ $sysreset Still have .log and .xml from 12/26/2015 in them ( not the date of the last Windows Update) I...
  10. Can't save file in C:\ root directory

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't save file in C:\ root directory: I want to save files in my C:\ root directory of my boot drive and get an error that "Required privilege is not held by the client". I am the sole user/administrator of this system. I went into C:, properties, security, and enabled permissions for everything and everyone....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant save to root of c windows 10