Windows 10: Can't Search Custom Indexed Folders from Start

Discus and support Can't Search Custom Indexed Folders from Start in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a few folders located at the root of C: and D: that I've added to the search index. Unlike folders located in my user directory, these custom... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Michael, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Michael Win User

Can't Search Custom Indexed Folders from Start

I have a few folders located at the root of C: and D: that I've added to the search index. Unlike folders located in my user directory, these custom folders are apparently being excluded from *Start searches. Is there anything I can do to make these folders searchable?

:)

Michael, Feb 18, 2016

2. Searching on the Start menu finds almost none of my files

The consensus seems to be that this is not a bug, but entirely by design:

The Search option only finds apps on the Start Menu and files in your User folder (if they've been indexed). Any folders you moved from your User folder are completely ignored, even if properly indexed, and apps can't be launched from any other location
    either - try putting an .exe file in your User folder, Search will find everything BUT that file. It seems to be partly protecting users from running unknown apps, and partly just stupidly assuming that nobody would ever move their folders.

FWIW, "Search my stuff" does give me results on other drives, but only if indexed. (Or maybe only if in special folders like Pictures, Music, etc.

Seneca_lives, Feb 18, 2016
  3. Maave Win User
    "Search as I type" only works with C:\?

Same. The only replies from MS support are things like filesystem checks and rebuilding the index. Neither of these are the issues.

-the start menu ONLY shows files that are in specific folders, like the User folder

-placing the files outside that folder, like C:\test\ or D:\ (both indexed) makes them not found

-there are no issues on any drives

-files are properly index, index is fully rebuilt.

-clicking "Search my Stuff" does find file immediately

-Searching files with Explorer finds files immediately

the last two points show that indexing is working fine. The start menu is ignoring the folders.

Maave, Feb 18, 2016
  4. lmaneke Win User

Did you rebuild the index after you added the folders?

lmaneke, Feb 18, 2016
  5. Michael Win User
    Just tried that, and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Michael, Feb 18, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, in Indexing Options, in Control Panel, observe that the number of indexed items changes pretty quickly when you add an item to your new hopefully indexed folder. If not, you know there's a problem there before you start trying to search.

When you search, make sure explorer is set up to search the correct range.
    That is, it's pointing to a folder or disk or you entire PC encompassing what you wish to search for, and if relevant, subfolders are included.

dalchina, Feb 18, 2016
  7. lx07 Win User
    I have relocated my user folders back and forth from C to D on the same disk and the search will not work for items on D. When I relocate them back to C they do.

I have rebuilt my index dozens of times. I can find them searching through explorer and I can find them searching through "Search my stuff"

Unless I'm missing something fundamental the *Start search only finds things on C whereas in Windows 8.x it found things on any internal partition.

No-one gives a toss about other search programs - that isn't the question. The question asked here was does the *Start search find things outside its limits even if you define them and rebuild the index..

Unless I'm completely and utterly mistaken, no it doesn't.

For example: Program files (.exe) not found by Windows Search - Windows 10 Forums

They are in the index and you can find them through other front ends (even the old Window 8 search which is still there) but the Windows 10 *Start will not show it.

I suggest you add a "me-too" on the Microsoft Feedback App as it is a known issue (and possibly design rather than bug).

8. dalchina New Member

Hi, I just created a test folder on H: with subfolders and some docts.
    I added that test folder to the search index in Indexing Options.
    Immediately the number of indexed items increased appropriately, and search found those items very quickly.

@lxo7: did you ever try explicitly adding the new location of your user folders to Indexing Options after relocating them?

dalchina, Feb 18, 2016
  9. Michael Win User
    And it found these when searching from Start? That's my goal. I just want whatever files I've indexed to be readily accessible with a quick *Start search.

Michael, Feb 18, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Can't Search Custom Indexed Folders from Start [​IMG]

On the right you can see doc-3.txt in a folder on H:
    On the left, a Cortana 'My Stuff' search result.
    What the other two results are doing there, I've no idea.

Note that the Cortana My stuff search ONLY finds indexed info in my experience.

(Classic Shell does this with fewer clicks - and ONLY found exactly doc-3 - which is what I searched for).
    (And yes, that's Win 10 with a Win 7 orb, transparency, colour...)

dalchina, Feb 18, 2016
  11. Michael Win User
    Ah, I see. You have to hit "search my stuff" and go to that secondary search page. This is not the case with files located in my user directory, which come up immediately in the main search window. It would be Ideal if we could have this behavior for all indexed files, but I can work with this. Thanks for clarifying.

Michael, Feb 18, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Classic Shell is 1 click and find-as-you-type. Much simpler! But still only indexed results.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't Search Custom Indexed Folders from Start - Similar Threads - Can't Search Custom

2. Icon preventing the opening of indexed files searched from Start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icon preventing the opening of indexed files searched from Start: When I search for indexed files or folders in Windows Start, the list is correctly returned, but after less than a second, a small icon gets displayed near some files quite randomly and prevents me from directly opening them by clicking. Although I fail to upload the icon...
  3. Icon preventing the opening of indexed files searched from Start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icon preventing the opening of indexed files searched from Start: When I search for indexed files or folders in Windows Start, the list is correctly returned, but after less than a second, a small icon gets displayed near some files quite randomly and prevents me from directly opening them by clicking. Although I fail to upload the icon...
  4. Indexing customization error

Indexing customization error: When I clicked on "Customize search locations" or "Advanced indexing options" in Settings > Privacy & Security > Searching Windows in Windows 11, I encountered this error window. How do I fix that? Furthermore, help me customize indexing so that it can search for apps only...
  5. Can't get search index to only index exes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't get search index to only index exes: Far more files are being indexs then I have exes.. 20551 exes total across al drive including hidden files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-get-search-index-to-only-index-exes/200353a9-9e5e-4007-a8b0-9299a8c638ee
  6. Can't get search index to only index exes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't get search index to only index exes: Far more files are being indexs then I have exes.. 20551 exes total across al drive including hidden files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-get-search-index-to-only-index-exes/200353a9-9e5e-4007-a8b0-9299a8c638ee
  7. Can't get search index to only index exes

8. Search indexing wont start.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search indexing wont start.: Yesterday I tried searching my files. It took forever so I looked it up. It turns out I needed to enable search indexing. It kept starting and stopping so I went to trouble shoot. It just said it wasn't running so I turned it on manually and got this error. This service...
  9. Custom search (multiple folders)?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Custom search (multiple folders)?: In Windows 7 you could combine folders for custom search, I can't find that option anywhere in Windows 10. For example, I want to search for the same phrase in Folder A, Folder B, Folder C, Folder D and Folder E at the same time instead of having to search the same phrase in...
  10. Start menu folders are not indexed

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu folders are not indexed: Hi all, In win 7 I was able to put folders and shortcuts on the desktop (or every indexed folder) and when I went to: - START - SEARCH I was able to write a folder or shorcut or even a portion of them and Win 7 gave me immediately the chance to click on them (just...