Windows 10: Can't search documents using 'find' in Windows 10

Discus and support Can't search documents using 'find' in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have a new PC with Windows 10 (previously had Windows 7). I could easily search any document in Windows 7 by hitting the 'find' option in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jenmg, Jan 24, 2019.

1. jenmg Win User

Can't search documents using 'find' in Windows 10

Hi, I have a new PC with Windows 10 (previously had Windows 7). I could easily search any document in Windows 7 by hitting the 'find' option in the document and typing in a key word. In windows 10 the same process doesn't 'find' anything. Help please as I use this function a lot.

:)

jenmg, Jan 24, 2019
  2. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 24, 2019
  4. lx07 Win User

document search

I too rely on searching for text snippets within pdf documents. Before Windows 8 you needed to install an extension (called an iFilter) to do this - I used the Adobe and then (at the time faster) Foxit filters to search for text strings in pdf.

In Windows 8 or 10 there is no need for these old programs any more - just make sure the "Index Properties and File Contents" is selected and use the default Reader Search Handler.

Can't search documents using 'find' in Windows 10 [​IMG]

It works perfectly well.

Thema:

1. Can't search documents using 'find' in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Can't search documents

2. Can't find my documents using Search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't find my documents using Search: Oh, my god, I hate Windows 11. What an abysmal program.New computer, unfortunately installed with it. Why in heaven's name can't I type a file name into the Search bar and get my damn files to come up? The only thing this horrid program will find is Favorites with whatever...
  3. Can't find my documents using Search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't find my documents using Search: Oh, my god, I hate Windows 11. What an abysmal program.New computer, unfortunately installed with it. Why in heaven's name can't I type a file name into the Search bar and get my damn files to come up? The only thing this horrid program will find is Favorites with whatever...
  4. can't find saved documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't find saved documents: My computer is about 15 months old with Office Home and Student and was a warranty replacement. I was able to transfer data from the old to the new and this worked well until recently. Several weeks ago I transferred to Windows 11 - no problem. I have now found nearly all my...
  5. can't find saved documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can't find saved documents: My computer is about 15 months old with Office Home and Student and was a warranty replacement. I was able to transfer data from the old to the new and this worked well until recently. Several weeks ago I transferred to Windows 11 - no problem. I have now found nearly all my...
  6. Can't use start menu to search for documents anymore?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't use start menu to search for documents anymore?: Hello I accidentally removed the ability to search for documents using the start menu. I used to be able to do it, by just clicking the start button on the bottom left corner, and then typing in the file name, but now all I get are web results. Is there a fix for this? I...
  7. Can't find previous documents and files with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't find previous documents and files with Windows 10: When I switched from Windows 7 to Windows 10 all of my files, documents, accounts, etc., disappeared. I tried to find them on my hard drive to reestablish them but they aren't viewable to do that. I know they are there somewhere but no idea how to find them and restore...
  8. Windows Search Not Finding Documents

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Search Not Finding Documents: I'm using Windows 10, and every time I search for a document in the search bar, nothing comes up except for Bing search results. This has been happening for a few days now and it may be due to some update as the search results look different than before. I tried running the...
  9. Can't find programs using the start menu search

in Cortana
    Can't find programs using the start menu search: Recently I am no longer able to find any programs using the start menu search, it just gives me things like downloaded files. For example, I can't find the control panel by typing in "control panel"....
  10. Search does not find my documents (Windows 10)

in Windows 10 Support
    Search does not find my documents (Windows 10): I've a cloud drive linked to two computers. There's a document called "panoramio stats" on this cloud drive. When I press the windows button followed by "pano" the document is listed by the best matches. When I do the same on the other computer, then the document is not...