Windows 10: Can't search file name in a Windows 10 folder

Discus and support Can't search file name in a Windows 10 folder in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I used to be able to open and search a Windows 10 folder for documents whose name contains a pattern of letters and Windows 10 would display all the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/seedpod02, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Can't search file name in a Windows 10 folder

I used to be able to open and search a Windows 10 folder for documents whose name contains a pattern of letters and Windows 10 would display all the documents with that name pattern separately.

I could then copy and paste everything displayed into another folder to work on

Now, the documents it finds in the folder with that name are not separated out but are just displayed in that same folder along with all the other document files, but with the pattern of letters in the file name highlighted in yellow

This means I can no longer copy and paste all the files displayed into another folder to work on, but have to painstakingly select all the highlighted documents names and only then copy them into another folder to work on

Which is such a PAIN

Any way I can get back to what it was?

submitted by /u/seedpod02
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/seedpod02, Sep 11, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 11, 2020
  3. enso Win User
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

4. dark2099 Win User

Can't search file name in a Windows 10 folder

Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Sep 11, 2020
Thema:

Can't search file name in a Windows 10 folder

1. Can't search file name in a Windows 10 folder - Similar Threads - Can't search file

2. Windows 10 file name search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 file name search: I am trying to segregate all of my file names for purchases. Is there a way to search for all of the file names that contain a certain word such as AMAZON? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-file-name-search/d804060f-8bcc-4af9-ae98-d0958ce73333
  3. Windows 10 file name search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 file name search: I am trying to segregate all of my file names for purchases. Is there a way to search for all of the file names that contain a certain word such as AMAZON? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-file-name-search/d804060f-8bcc-4af9-ae98-d0958ce73333
  4. Windows 10 file name search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't search for exact file name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't search for exact file name: HiI find it really frustrating that when I search for a file name I know in windows explorer I get any kind of file with that neme in it,For instance I tryname:"volo." ext:"php"because I am looking forvolo.phpI get that file and a whole bunch of other...
  6. Can't search for exact file name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't search for exact file name: HiI find it really frustrating that when I search for a file name I know in windows explorer I get any kind of file with that neme in it,For instance I tryname:"volo." ext:"php"because I am looking forvolo.phpI get that file and a whole bunch of other...
  7. Can't name or rename folders in File Explorer Windows 10

Can't name or rename folders in File Explorer Windows 10: I can create new folders but I can't name them. Pls help. Using Microsoft 365 and One Drive. However same issue occurs in File Explorer outside of OneDrive. Have reviewed past discussion on the topic, what is the latest advice. Thanks Andrew...
  8. Searching Windows 10 folders that contain a "." in the folder name

in Cortana
    Searching Windows 10 folders that contain a "." in the folder name: //Edited title I have a set of development folders - each root folder has names with dots in them. i.e. "Myfolder.webapi" and sometimes "myfolder.webapi.myproduct". all these are legal file names. These folders themselves contain regular files and subdirectories....
  9. Windows 10 search for a specific folder name and file name

Windows 10 search for a specific folder name and file name: Hi. I can easily search for folders with a name like "Business". But then I want to find any files in just those folders named "Assets". Can I either make a search using something like AND or can I search for files just within the folders I searched for to begin with. In...
  10. Folder "Search" not deleting old file names

Folder "Search" not deleting old file names: For some reason my computer isn't deleting old file names. Example: I have a picture named "Bob 1.0". I then change the name to "Bob 2.0". I then move that picture from Folder 1A to Folder 2B. When I do a search for "Bob" I get three results: I get "Bob 1.0", "Bob 2.0" in...