Windows 10: Can't search in file explorer or main search

Discus and support Can't search in file explorer or main search in Cortana to solve the problem; Hello.I noticed that suddenly, in windows 10, the main search section, next to start button, does not respond when I click on it. So I cannot search... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Darren Wayne, Jul 23, 2022.

1. Can't search in file explorer or main search

Hello.I noticed that suddenly, in windows 10, the main search section, next to start button, does not respond when I click on it. So I cannot search anything there.Also, in file explorer, among the folders documents, pictures, music and videos, I cannot search in those sections either.I checked youtube vids, tried to restore system, uninstalled the latest update that may have caused it, but it still hasn't helped.Please assist.Thank you

:)

Darren Wayne, Jul 23, 2022

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Jul 23, 2022
  3. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Jul 23, 2022
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Can't search in file explorer or main search

Search for Missing files in File Explorer

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are looking for a file named “Class” with the length of the file. However, currently File Explorer doesn’t have the option to search the files using the length.

You can follow the steps mentioned below to search for a file in File Explorer using the Size, Kind of file and other options.

1. Press and hold Windows key + E to open
      File Explorer.
    2. Click on This PC on the left pane.
    3. Press F3 key to open Search options.
    4. You can select the Size,
      Kind
      of file and other options and then, search for the file.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 23, 2022
Thema:

Can't search in file explorer or main search

1. Can't search in file explorer or main search - Similar Threads - Can't search file

2. I can't search on the Windows Search Bar and I can't search in file explorer.

in Cortana
    I can't search on the Windows Search Bar and I can't search in file explorer.: I have tried so many things, installing Windows 10 again and searched and followed so many tutorials but none of them have worked. Please help me, thank you....
  3. I can't search on the Windows Search Bar and I can't search in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't search on the Windows Search Bar and I can't search in file explorer.: I have tried so many things, installing Windows 10 again and searched and followed so many tutorials but none of them have worked. Please help me, thank you....
  4. I can't search on the Windows Search Bar and I can't search in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. search & file explorer search not working

in Cortana
    search & file explorer search not working: Whenever I try to search in the Windows search bar it just closes. Even my file explorer keeps on hanging. Tried to do system restore before and its just stop. What else?...
  6. search & file explorer search not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    search & file explorer search not working: Whenever I try to search in the Windows search bar it just closes. Even my file explorer keeps on hanging. Tried to do system restore before and its just stop. What else?...
  7. search & file explorer search not working

8. Can't search in file explorer or main search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't search in file explorer or main search: Hello.I noticed that suddenly, in windows 10, the main search section, next to start button, does not respond when I click on it. So I cannot search anything there.Also, in file explorer, among the folders documents, pictures, music and videos, I cannot search in those...
  9. Can't search in file explorer or main search

Can't search in file explorer or main search: Hello.I noticed that suddenly, in windows 10, the main search section, next to start button, does not respond when I click on it. So I cannot search anything there.Also, in file explorer, among the folders documents, pictures, music and videos, I cannot search in those...
  10. Startmenu search and file explorer search ...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Startmenu search and file explorer search ...: Every time I do upgrade to new build the Startmenu "search" dont work. I did upgrade to the new build and it broke yet again I usual type thing like "regedit" with startmenu up and it find said things. but yet again after build update it goes from working for bit to no...