Windows 10: Can't Search or even open search boxes and news & weather bugged

Discus and support Can't Search or even open search boxes and news & weather bugged in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Like the title say, I can't search anymore. usualy i just hit the windows key and start typing but thats not woking anymore. or any searching at all on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by impatus, Jun 16, 2021.

1. impatus Win User

Can't Search or even open search boxes and news & weather bugged

Like the title say, I can't search anymore. usualy i just hit the windows key and start typing but thats not woking anymore. or any searching at all on my computer by the looks of it. This happened after the update that added the News & Weather button. and that is not working either. I made a short video showing my problem. My windows is in norwegian but it should be fairly straight forward to see whats going on. Desktop 2021 06 16 08 03 48 02 - YouTube The error report says: "incorrect permissions on windows search data directory" I have taken ownership of the data folder but its still the same error. Windows Version: 21H1

:)

impatus, Jun 16, 2021

2. search box

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if are able to find search box.

• Right click on the task bar.

• Go to Cortana.

• Click on show search box.
    Now check if you are able to find search box.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Jun 16, 2021
  3. Search Question

I believe he means the search box at TPU. In that vein, neither of your suggestions worked. However, they both work quite well on the interwebs.

sneekypeet, Jun 16, 2021
  4. JohnHeinz Win User

Windows 10 Search box

Which instructions are you suggesting I missed? There is no search icon. Right clicking the taskbar shows no search option. The "small characters" or icons trick did nothing. The regedit thing:
    Follow these steps to turn on the hidden search box:

• Open regedit
    • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
    • Inside the search key, create the new DWORD value named EnableSearchBox and set it to 1
    • Restart your computer or simply Explorer Shell
    Did not give me a search option that I can find.

So in at least MY version of windows 10 there is no search box I can find that will allow me to search my own computer to find possible misplaced files.

So what are the instructions?

JohnHeinz, Jun 16, 2021
Thema:

1. Can't Search or even open search boxes and news & weather bugged - Similar Threads - Can't Search open

2. Bug in File Explorer's search box

in Windows 10 Support
    Bug in File Explorer's search box: I just reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch, wiping the SSD because it was crashing with BSODs and other errors; I was in the 20h2 build, now I'm in the stable 2004 (19041.508). In the new install, as always, I set the search in the File Explorer to "automatically type into...
  3. Bug in File Explorer's search box

in Cortana
    Bug in File Explorer's search box: I just reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch, wiping the SSD because it was crashing with BSODs and other errors; I was in the 20h2 build, now I'm in the stable 2004. In the new install, as always, I set the search in the File Explorer to "automatically type into the search...
  4. SEARCH BOX.

in Cortana
    SEARCH BOX.: Windows has stopped me typing in 'search' box. Have noticed you get a faint vertical line halfway across screen when you press 'type here'. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-box/7edfc1cb-0013-41ff-b3cc-1d2c5ec28fc5
  5. search box

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    search box: Search box at bottom of screen not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-box/222af729-a72c-4d66-b2d8-114ee4d73ea6
  6. Windows 10 2004 version Bugged Search box not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 2004 version Bugged Search box not opening: Hello , Please i need help so badly So recently updated to windows 10 2004 version and my Desktop is bugged. Search box is not opening. sometimes it opens and closes automatically before i can search something. also task manager is not working....
  7. Search Box,

in Cortana
    Search Box,: I have a new computer with Windows 10. When I use the search box to find photo's on my computer, the only thing that comes up are "Web Pages"> How can I find the folders and photo's on my computer, it was working in Windows 7. Thanks, Albertus Schmitz...
  8. search box

in Cortana
    search box: How do I recover the search box in the task bar after hiding it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-box/a9b7e2bc-254a-4315-af46-5228ef3f1e80
  9. Bug: 2 search boxes in the control panel

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bug: 2 search boxes in the control panel: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Arisius [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f3alf0/bug_2_search_boxes_in_the_control_panel/
  10. search box

in Cortana
    search box: there is no search box on my taskbar https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-box/039f26cd-e174-4222-a3e3-f4f79c6afc50"