Windows 10: Can't See Networked Computer / Folders

Discus and support Can't See Networked Computer / Folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; windows 10 pro. for the life of me i don't know why setting up a simple home network is such a pain in the neck, seems like it should a pretty darn... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by aeneas1, Dec 13, 2019.

1. aeneas1 Win User

Can't See Networked Computer / Folders

windows 10 pro.

for the life of me i don't know why setting up a simple home network is such a pain in the neck, seems like it should a pretty darn easy deal.

anyway, updated windows a couple of nights ago which of course wiped out my visible shared folders that, btw, i had to jump through a bunch of different hoops to get working the last time around... after a bunch of rebooting, fiddling with service settings, and ensuring that smb, discoveries, permissions, and shared settings were all in order i'm finally able to see 2 of my 3 networked machines on two of my computers, and all 3 computers on the third computer.... but for the life of me i can't get the two computers to also see all three networked machines.

and here's what's so annoying, below is a screenshot of my of the networked machines than can only see 2 of the 3 computers (note the opened explorer folder) yet when i use potplayer to open a movie file it displays all 3 networked machines!

so is there any tried and true ways to get this sorted out? thanks!

Can't See Networked Computer / Folders 02.png

:)

aeneas1, Dec 13, 2019
  2. Frogger Win User

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Can't See Networked Computer / Folders :)

Frogger, Dec 14, 2019
  3. Ferdz Amp Win User
    Sharing folders over network - access denied

Hello,

To troubleshoot your concern with sharing files over the network using your Windows 10 device, we suggest that you run the Shared folders troubleshooter and check if it helps. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type in Troubleshooting in the search box and press
      Enter.
    • Click View all.
    • Click Shared Folders.
    • Click Next and follow on-screen instructions.

Hope it helps.

Ferdz Amp, Dec 14, 2019
  4. bakasamaz Win User

How To: Password Protect a Folder in Network?

Hi all I have a question for you all Networking Expert out there. Im running a small networking at my house. this Network consist of 3 computers : My computer, My sister's and My mom's. My computer act as a Network Harddrive, I share a lot of Files in my computer. Sometimes my sister like to pull over some files from my computer, but there are some folders where i dont like her to open. Im thinking to Password Protect a certain folders, so whenever she or my mom open those certain folders a pop up will show up asking for password (im thinking to password protect because sometimes I need to able to access those folders from either my mom's or sister's computer) Is there anyway to do this? third party Program? all computers in my network running Windows XP.

bakasamaz, Dec 14, 2019
Thema:

1. Can't See Networked Computer / Folders - Similar Threads - Can't Networked Computer

2. Can't see network computer in Explorer ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't see network computer in Explorer ?: Hi,I have several computer on my home network.My main desktop computer is dual boot Win-10 and Win-11When I boot into Win-11 I can see access all my network computers and devices in File explorer.But when I boot into Win-10 I can not see the network computers. I can see other...
  3. Can't see network computer in Explorer ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't see network computer in Explorer ?: Hi,I have several computer on my home network.My main desktop computer is dual boot Win-10 and Win-11When I boot into Win-11 I can see access all my network computers and devices in File explorer.But when I boot into Win-10 I can not see the network computers. I can see other...
  4. Can't see network computer in Explorer ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. can't see other computer on network

in Windows 10 Customization
    can't see other computer on network: can't see other computer on network https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-see-other-computer-on-network/fc92edc5-902e-4798-a93f-91bcb538d14f
  6. can't see network computers

can't see network computers: can't see network computers https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-see-network-computers/96a1d87b-e1dc-4f59-8db5-a035eb374cd9
  7. Can't see computers on the network

Can't see computers on the network: I've tried soooo many things. I'll try to lay out all the facts and if anything comes to mind that might work, please let me know. I have Spectrum cable with an Arris cable modem. It goes to an Eero wireless unit. That goes to a little switch, which is wired to 2...
  8. Computer Can't See Itself On Network

Computer Can't See Itself On Network: I'm trying to map a network drive from my main server. I've done it a million times before. But now, for some reason, the computer can't see itself on the network! It doesn't show up in the network list! What am I doing wrong? Please view this screencastify to see what...
  9. Can't see computer in network

Can't see computer in network: My laptop and desktop are connected via crossover cable, I can ping and remote connect between them with a response, but for some reason they aren't showing up in the file explorer network...
  10. Can't see computer on network

Can't see computer on network: Hi there, I have a desktop and a laptop at home which I use for work. I need to access the desktop files using the laptop, and vice versa. I had it working before (i.e. I could see and access the laptop via the desktop and vice versa) but it's stopped for some reason. I...