Windows 10: Can't see Networked External Hard Drive on either of my two computers

Discus and support Can't see Networked External Hard Drive on either of my two computers in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying to share my External WD Hard Drive between my two computer so that I don't have to keep unplugging it and switching it between PCs.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BW_PC, Sep 30, 2020.

1. BW_PC Win User

Can't see Networked External Hard Drive on either of my two computers

Hello, I am trying to share my External WD Hard Drive between my two computer so that I don't have to keep unplugging it and switching it between PCs. Both of my computers use Windows 10 and they are both plugged in using two Cat5 cables which are plugged into my Network switch which is plugged into my router.

I've changed the settings on both computers to "Turn on network discovery" under the Private network which is my current profile on both. I also turn on network discovery for guest and public networks just in case that was an issue.

On my hard drive, I right-clicked on "Properties" and then "Sharing" and then shared the whole folder. It has a network path which I've tried searching on both computers and it doesn't appear on either.

The hard drive appears everyone on the computer that it's plugged in to expect under my Network. The only thing that appears in my Network on either computer is my router.

To be clear, I have seen the Hard Drive pop up under my Network before and it was working for a little while like half a day, but then it stopped appearing in my Network. I did not change any settings, it just went away and never came back.

:)

BW_PC, Sep 30, 2020
  2. Marco Gav Win User

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Sep 30, 2020
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Sep 30, 2020
  4. Can't see Networked External Hard Drive on either of my two computers

Help with external hard drive

Hi Debbra,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I would suggest you to plug in hard drive then check in disk management you can see the drive or not.

Follow the steps to check Drive in Disk Management.

• Go to the Control Panel then click on the
      Administrative Tools. .

• Under the Administrative Tool Click on Computer Management.

• Click on Disk Management and check the External Hard Drive.

Also check in BIOS whether External Hard Drive is listed or not.

For help with the BIOS settings, refer to the computer manual or contact the manufacturer.

If it doesn’t work then, I would suggest you to update BIOS for updating BIOS contact Lenovo Support.

Follow the link:

http://support.lenovo.com/in/hi/

Disclaimer :

Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Sep 30, 2020
Thema:

Can't see Networked External Hard Drive on either of my two computers

1. Can't see Networked External Hard Drive on either of my two computers - Similar Threads - Can't Networked External

2. Can't Use Two External Hard Drives At The Same Time

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't Use Two External Hard Drives At The Same Time: Hello, I have a two terabyte external drive for games and a five terabyte external drive for various other projects. For a while I had them both plugged in but I decided I wanted to organize the cords going into my usb extender, they haven't been the same since. Here is what...
  3. Can't see my network drive on network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't see my network drive on network: I'm running Windows 11 Home on a HP OMEN Desktop. I have a WD Cloud EX4 drive hooked in through ethernet. The drive, named "Main-Cloud", shows up under storage and not on the computer. When I click on the Main-Cloud icon it just brings up the maintenance window for the drive...
  4. Can't see my network drive on network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't see my network drive on network: I'm running Windows 11 Home on a HP OMEN Desktop. I have a WD Cloud EX4 drive hooked in through ethernet. The drive, named "Main-Cloud", shows up under storage and not on the computer. When I click on the Main-Cloud icon it just brings up the maintenance window for the drive...
  5. File History can't see external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History can't see external hard drive: File History can no longer see my external hard drive, 4tb WD My Passport. I have used this drive previously with file history on this very computer and on my laptop so I know it can work. A little while ago I decided to temporarily stop using File History, but now when I try...
  6. External Hard Drive Question - seeing two Drive Fs

External Hard Drive Question - seeing two Drive Fs: I have Win 10 Home with two internal drives 128GB SSD (C) containing the Windows OS and a I TB data drive (D). I recently made a disk image of the two drives as source driveswith Macrium and an external Iomega 500GB destination drive (F). Macrium verified that the image was...
  7. can't not see the map network drive in computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can't not see the map network drive in computer: I have the problem with network drive appearing in the computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-not-see-the-map-network-drive-in-computer/83ea0731-2190-4513-9b57-3b9820e1c6b5
  8. Unable to see external hard drive

Unable to see external hard drive: Hi, When I look in my computer or device manager my external hard drives are not visible. However, when I connect the hard drives it makes the usb connection sound. The drives are visible when connected to a different computer. But not when connected to a different usb on...
  9. My Computer Doesn't "See" External Hard Drives

My Computer Doesn't "See" External Hard Drives: Toshiba laptop, W10 Home, Ver 1803 I have 2 external hard drives. When I plug either of them into a USB port I hear the normal beep sound, indicating they've been recognized but they don't automatically play, even though auto play is enabled . They don't even show up in...
  10. Windows 10 no longer sees my WDTV network with external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 no longer sees my WDTV network with external hard drive: I go on the network it see the WDTV as existing , I can cast a show to it but not longer can connect to the 5TB hard drive from my PC that is using windows 10. It used to work a couple of weeks ago perfect. I have an old laptop running Vista and it sees everything perfect....