Windows 10: Can't see old user folder on external HDD

Discus and support Can't see old user folder on external HDD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm updating my old Widows 7 desktop with Windows 10. To make things easier, I'm also replacing my SDD (C: operating system drive), and HDD (E:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by thedudeWG, Jun 10, 2019.

1. thedudeWG Win User

Can't see old user folder on external HDD

I'm updating my old Widows 7 desktop with Windows 10. To make things easier, I'm also replacing my SDD (C: operating system drive), and HDD (E: installed programs and general use drive). I have an 8Tb external hard drive (F: Backup and storage drive) which I stored data I wanted to transfer to my new HDD. After replacing the hard drives and installing the new OS, I connected my external hard drive. Everything seems fine with one exception; I do not see my old USER folder in which I copied to my F: drive. I want to transfer my old USER's Documents, Desktop, Pictures, Videos, etc.

Is this data hidden from other users, even though I'm technically the same user? I do remember seeing a padlock symbol on my personal folder in the USERS folder, but I didn't have any problems copying that folder (and its subfolders) to my F: drive, but maybe only my Windows 7 user can actually see the data transfered. Is there a "share" setting I don't know about? What do I need to do to access this data? Thank you.

:)

thedudeWG, Jun 10, 2019
  2. Kari Win User

Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  

If not the best way to do that but at least the way I recommend:

• "Empty" your user profile folders as much as you can, copying documents, pics, videos, music and all other personal data from all user profiles to external HDD. As following steps require you to relocate Users folder two times, the less data is left in user profile folders, the faster the relocation process. Important: Leave system folder AppData for each profile intact, do not empty / move its content!
    • Reverse the relocating, doing exactly as told in tutorial Method Two but this time relocating Users folder back to C: drive
    • Shut down the PC, replace the disk where you had Users relocated
    • Mount the new disk, boot to Windows, assign new disk the same drive ID letter than the old one had
    • Again, do as told in Method Two, now relocating Users to new disk
    • Restore the backed up personal user data from external drive to respective folders under each user profile

3. external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Jun 10, 2019
  4. Can't see old user folder on external HDD

ERROR 0x80004005 while transfering file to external HDD

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to know what exactly does that mean when you say you make changes to the properties.

As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to check if the file that you are trying to copy has the appropriate permission to move or access it.

As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if you are able to take the full control of the folder or files.

• Right-click the file or folder, and then click Properties.
    • Click the Security tab.
    • Under Group or user
      names
      , click your name to see the permissions you have.
    • The permissions for the selected user or group are shown in the lower portion of the properties dialog box.
    • Assign yourself “Full control” permission by checking the box for “Allow” for Full Control and check if you can access the drive.
    If the issue still persists, I suggest you to download the latest driver for the external hard drive from the manufacturer website and check if that helps.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jun 10, 2019
Thema:

Can't see old user folder on external HDD

1. Can't see old user folder on external HDD - Similar Threads - Can't old user

2. Bugged folder on external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bugged folder on external HDD: One of my folders on my external HDD randomly got the 'hidden' property. When I noticed this and tried to change it, I got an error saying the parameter is incorrect. I then cut and paste all my files in the folder into another one. When attempting to delete the old empty...
  3. Bugged folder on external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bugged folder on external HDD: One of my folders on my external HDD randomly got the 'hidden' property. When I noticed this and tried to change it, I got an error saying the parameter is incorrect. I then cut and paste all my files in the folder into another one. When attempting to delete the old empty...
  4. Can't see the C drive partition of an old HDD used as external

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't see the C drive partition of an old HDD used as external: Hello,My last laptop can't boot anymore so I bought a new one.I took the drive from this last laptop to transfer files to the new laptop, using that drive as an external drive. When the drive was internal to the old laptop, it had two partitions C system and user documents, D...
  5. Can't see the C drive partition of an old HDD used as external

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't see the C drive partition of an old HDD used as external: Hello,My last laptop can't boot anymore so I bought a new one.I took the drive from this last laptop to transfer files to the new laptop, using that drive as an external drive. When the drive was internal to the old laptop, it had two partitions C system and user documents, D...
  6. Can't see the C drive partition of an old HDD used as external

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Cannot move/copy folders from External HDD to External HDD.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot move/copy folders from External HDD to External HDD.: [ATTACH] After starting the move/copy of the given folder, the explorer starts calculating but instead of starting the process, quickly completes (animates 0% to 100% complete) but the folder did not get moved or copied. Happens when trying to move/copy folders larger then...
  8. Can't open user folder on old drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't open user folder on old drive: I installed an SSD and Windows 10 on my Lenovo laptop and connected my old hard drive externally. Now I don't have permission to access my user folder on the old drive. What to do? Also, the old drive has Windows 7 on it so the laptop asks which OS to use every time it...
  9. Claimed ownership of old HDD User folder multiple times, still can't open it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Claimed ownership of old HDD User folder multiple times, still can't open it: The best I've gotten is the properties displaying that the folder weighs 0 bytes. I can see all the file trees while taking ownership, but it never does anything. Most info out there seems to be outdated, referencing dialogs that no longer exist. There is no error message....
  10. windows cannot see external HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows cannot see external HDD: I can not see an external hard drive in file explorer. I can see it in device manager. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-cannot-see-external-hdd/7581ca1a-b81c-48f6-95d7-deabf29acb85

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant enter old hdd users folder

2. access user accounts file on external hdd windows 10

3. old windows hdd open all folders from usb

4. i changed my hard drive and cant find %appdata% on my old one