Windows 10: Can't see the Computers on WorkGroup, or access an NAS shared folder

Discus and support Can't see the Computers on WorkGroup, or access an NAS shared folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have a home network that is a simple workgroup. There is an NAS that has some shared folders on the network, with some media servers, etc. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mishkhorak, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Can't see the Computers on WorkGroup, or access an NAS shared folder

Hi,

I have a home network that is a simple workgroup. There is an NAS that has some shared folders on the network, with some media servers, etc. I have a desktop computer attached to the router through cable, some laptops, tablets, cell phone, etc. that are attached to the network wirelessly to the same router. I have shared folders from the NAS so that I can read/write files from/to it. Previously I could access the shared folders on the NAS from both my laptop and my desktop computer without a problem. The shared folder is still defined as network drive on my desktop.

Now, I changed the hard drive on the laptop and installed a new windows on it and I cannot access the shared folders of the NAS from the laptop anymore (desktop is unchanged.) I am 100% sure that the laptop and the NAS are connected through the network (I can ping the NAS from the laptop), but if I type the \\NASname on the windows explorer, I get the following error (same if I type its IP address):

Windows cannot access \\NASname

Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.

Error code: 0x80004005

Unspecified error

Hitting Diagnose does nothing.

Looking at the Network through the windows explorer, I can't see any of the shared folders or other computers on the network. I tried sharing a folder from the laptop on the network, and I could access it from the desktop. But If I share something from the desktop, I can't see it from the laptop. Similarly, I can't see the NAS shared folders from the laptop.

I searched the web for hours to find a solution and no solution has worked yet.

Disabled Windows defender firewall: No effect. Laptop does not have any other firewall.

Activated SMB 1.0/CIFS File sharing suppport: No effect,

Disabled IP V6: no effect.

I should mention that both desktop and laptop are windwos 10 education, version 1803. Desktop is OS Build 17134.165, Laptop is OS Build 17134.228 .

I'm pretty sure this is not a connectivity issue, as I can ping the NAS from the laptop. How can I make windows show the network shared folders?

:)

Mishkhorak, Aug 15, 2018
  2. Frogger Win User

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Can't see the Computers on WorkGroup, or access an NAS shared folder :)

Frogger, Aug 15, 2018
  3. Workgroup Share can not see one computer but can access it

So, I have a network workgroup share that works on 4 out of 5 computers. The problem child computer can access the "server" (through a shortcut) computer but it does not show up in the network folder nor can programs access it. All are running Windows
    10 and are up to date with updates.

BenSolo_146, Aug 15, 2018
  4. Ferdz Amp Win User

Can't see the Computers on WorkGroup, or access an NAS shared folder

Sharing folders over network - access denied

Hello,

To troubleshoot your concern with sharing files over the network using your Windows 10 device, we suggest that you run the Shared folders troubleshooter and check if it helps. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type in Troubleshooting in the search box and press
      Enter.
    • Click View all.
    • Click Shared Folders.
    • Click Next and follow on-screen instructions.

Hope it helps.

Ferdz Amp, Aug 15, 2018
Thema:

Can't see the Computers on WorkGroup, or access an NAS shared folder

1. Can't see the Computers on WorkGroup, or access an NAS shared folder - Similar Threads - Can't Computers WorkGroup

2. Can't consistently see shared folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't consistently see shared folders: I have two laptops connected via an ethernet switch. I am using the current version of Windows 10 home. One laptop, which I will call main, has two external USB 3.0 hard drives. I have turned file sharing on for everyone on both of these drives, as well as sharing also turned...
  3. Not able to access NAS Shared folder

Not able to access NAS Shared folder: Hey, Recently, I reinstalled windows 10, and suddenly, I was not able to access any shared folders located on my NAS. I was able to access other PCs (running windows 10)'s shared folders. Other PCs(running windows 10) are able to acccess the NAS. Can you guys help with...
  4. Computer cannot see the shared folders

Computer cannot see the shared folders: My laptop runs Windows 10---1809 which cannot see the shared folders. I believe this problem has appeared since the last Windows update. I checked the Advanced sharing settings and verified the SMB1 protocol, everything looks ok...
  5. Can't see the NAS

Can't see the NAS: Hi, I just bought a Surface Book2 (Win10 and update), I can't find my NAS or any other device through my network. I have checked through the advance network sharing setting and also adjusted the FDPHost & FDResPub into automatically. The NAS & other devices can show...
  6. Computers can't see each other on workgroup

Computers can't see each other on workgroup: Recently added both laptops to a workgroup as suggested here to enable file sharing and it worked perfectly. Then suddenly today 1 of the computers can't see the other one. Laptop 1 can't see laptop 2 1 did have a Pin as security while 2 had a password. I've changed 1 to...
  7. XP Can't see WIndows 10 computers on workgroup

XP Can't see WIndows 10 computers on workgroup: Ever since I updated my two work computers to the Creators Update version, I can no longer see them from Windows XP when I try to browse via Network Connections. I can see them if I reference them directly via the UNC name,I.E. \\SHOP10HX64 or \\SHOP10PX64. This was...
  8. Can't See Shared Win10 Machine/Seeker in workgroup but shows in domain

Can't See Shared Win10 Machine/Seeker in workgroup but shows in domain: I have scoured the Networking and Sharing portion of this Win 10 Forum for an answer to my issue but have not found anything that works. We have a peer to peer network, with one Win 10 machine (acting as server - which we call server) which shares several hard drives for...
  9. Another can't see other shares in Workgroup thread.

Another can't see other shares in Workgroup thread.: Ever since the Win10 1709 update, my network has gone off the rails. I'm hoping you folks can help me get it back. I have three computers connected through a router. An office computer, shop computer and a laptop. The office and shop are hard wired and the laptop is...
  10. Windows 10 PC can't see other shares in Workgroup

Windows 10 PC can't see other shares in Workgroup: We set up our small business network as a Workgroup awhile ago with all Windows XP computers. Some have been since upgraded to Windows 7, others to Windows 10. The most important issue is a folder on an XP machine that all others in the network need to be able to access....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my computer cant see NAS drive in workgroup