Windows 10: Can't seem to create a pagefile.sys on any drive besides C:\

Discus and support Can't seem to create a pagefile.sys on any drive besides C:\ in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Here's a screenshot of my Virtual Memory options windows: https://i.imgur.com/4LISPUC.png You can see I have set 800-800 on C:\ and 2048-2048 on D:\... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Blutzen, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Blutzen Win User

Can't seem to create a pagefile.sys on any drive besides C:\

Here's a screenshot of my Virtual Memory options windows:
    https://i.imgur.com/4LISPUC.png

You can see I have set 800-800 on C:\ and 2048-2048 on D:\ but that Windows is reporting only 800 MB under 'Total paging file size for all drives'

I've verified by viewing the folders in Explorer with system hidden files enabled that a pagefile.sys exists on C:\ but not on D:\

The weird thing is in regedit under 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management' it shows both 'c:\pagefile.sys 800 800' and 'd:\pagefile.sys 2048 2048' in PagingFiles

I have changed the values multiple times and run 'sfc /scannow' and rebooted upwards of 10 times trying to troubleshoot this issue myself today with no luck and I'm at my wit's end.

:)

Blutzen, Mar 23, 2019

2. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage:
    1. In the registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    2. Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to the REG_DWORD value of 1.
    3. Restart Windows.
    I'm just wondering whether those steps are still valid, and, if so, does clearing the pagefile work as advertised?

gregyurkon, Mar 23, 2019
  3. Unallocated Space to C Drive

Thanks

realtravisbrown92, Mar 23, 2019
  4. Ruz San Win User

Unallocated Space to C Drive

Hi Travis,

It appears that a disk partition was created but was never assigned its allocation. Assuming there are no files stored in the unallocated partition, perform these steps to combine it with your C: drive:

• In Disk Management, right-click on (CCan't seem to create a pagefile.sys on any drive besides C:\ :) which appears next to the
      Unallocated partition.
    • Select Extend.

Let us know if you're able to combine the spaces after following the steps above.

Regards.

Ruz San, Mar 23, 2019
Thema:

1. Can't seem to create a pagefile.sys on any drive besides C:\ - Similar Threads - Can't seem create

2. Hidden Data in C drive, Can't seem to find it.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hidden Data in C drive, Can't seem to find it.: I am using Windows 10 on a laptop and recently I noticed my C drive filling up. I install everything on other drives to try to maintain the integrity of C drive so this immediately came to my attention. I looked up solutions online and tried using : Disk clean up Disk...
  3. Windows 10 installing to other drive beside C:

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 installing to other drive beside C:: Finally switched from 7 to 10. Still finding out stuff and making tweaks to it. I have three HDD's and one M.2 SSD. I installed 10 to the SSD and found out that part of the install went to the F drive. I had to physically unplug D, E and F for 10 to install completely to the...
  4. C: pagefile .sys Degrag

C: pagefile .sys Degrag: How do I defrag my C: pagefile .sys my O&O Degrag Prof states that the files is 32G with a 97.71 degree of relative fragmentation? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-pagefile-sys-degrag/1435a24e-30c1-43a8-9587-dbbac2c1216e"
  5. Can't save to C: drive.

Can't save to C: drive.: I have a Windows 10 HP Laptop. Every time I try to save to my c: drive, I get an error message saying access denied. I am the only user and the Administrator. I checked settings for access, sharing, etc. Help!...
  6. Can't open c: drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't open c: drive: I can't open my c: drive and whenever I open it, it says "Application not found" I tried every research but I could not find it yet. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-c-drive/71806301-e693-4c33-a813-32996fa55952
  7. Can't create recovery drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't create recovery drive: I'm running Win 10 Version 1211 (build 10586.11) - i.e. the latest build with the latest update. I want to create a new recovery drive but when I get to the window that says "Connect a USB Flash Drive" and the process comes to a dead stop. -I'm using the same 16GB thumb...
  8. Can't create Recovery Drive

Can't create Recovery Drive: Win 10 is running fine, but I wanted to create a Recovery Drive just in case. In the search bar I typed "RecoveryDrive.exe" and pressed enter. UAC popped up and I replied. The first recovery screen popped up. I accepted defaults on screen and selected Next. Next screen...
  9. Can't create a recovery drive.

Can't create a recovery drive.: I've tried sfc / scannow, reinstalling windows, working with windows help desk, and computer manufacturer. Nothing works. I've tried different USB keys always larger than 16 gb. I've searched a lot of Internet sites. Any suggestions? 57833
  10. cannot create a file on c drive

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot create a file on c drive: Hi, Anywhere on the c drive, I cannot create files. I can only create folders. How can I change this ? Where in Windows 10 can I set myself as the power user ? 61559
Tags: