Windows 10: Can't seem to escape the Insider Preview Build program

Discus and support Can't seem to escape the Insider Preview Build program in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I joined the Windows Insider program with high hopes of testing out cutting edge features. I was stoked, I enjoyed it. But now, many multiplayer games... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/barronlroth, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Can't seem to escape the Insider Preview Build program

I joined the Windows Insider program with high hopes of testing out cutting edge features. I was stoked, I enjoyed it. But now, many multiplayer games flag insider builds as "cheats", so I can't enjoy my gaming PC to its fullest potential.

Has anyone successfully left the program without re-installing Windows?

If so, how long did it take? (i.e. do you have to wait until a major release?) What steps did you complete to get out? I feel like I've tried everything.

Otherwise, I'm afraid of re-installing Windows. It's been YEARS since I've done it, and I'm wondering what I'm in for in terms of file loss or application loss. How easy/annoying is it these days? Do I need to locate my Windows key?

submitted by /u/barronlroth
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/barronlroth, Dec 30, 2019

2. Cannot Active Insider Preview Program After Reinstall

Hi,

Failure to activate the Insider Build Preview can be caused by a change on your device configuration or a possible corrupted component. To isolate your concern, we'd like to ask the following:

• Which Windows build version is running on your device? You can type
      winver in the search box and press Enter to help you identify the build.
    • Are you getting any error messages?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps that you've performed?

In addition, we suggest that you check the Feedback Hub for related submission regarding the builds that were affected by some activation reported issue. Confirm if the build that you're trying to activate is one of the affected
    builds and check the comment section for suggested solution.

We'll appreciate if you can send us an update.

Darwin Dim, Dec 30, 2019
  3. Insider build previews

Because you are running a Windows Insider Preview build, you might be seeing defects or bugs in the build you are using, which is still under development. I suggest you use the Feedback Hub to submit a bug report detailing your problem.

You should only run Windows Insider Builds for testing purposes, not for production.

I recommend you revert to a commercial build such as the recently released Windows 10, 1803 revision.

Go to a working computer, download, create a bootable copy, then perform a clean install.

Step 1: How to download official Windows 10 ISO files

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

Step 2: How to: Perform a clean install of Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

If there are files on the drive you want to recover, see - How to: Perform a Custom install of Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

Andre Da Costa, Dec 30, 2019
  4. Can't seem to escape the Insider Preview Build program

Windows 10 Insider Preview Build has never updated

I want to add this for anyone in the future that may come across this post.

I followed the advice of @Ramhound and the links he provided in the comments and created a new VM in Azure from the downloaded image of Build 14295, which was the closest available ISO build. I followed all the steps to connect my MS account to the VM for insider preivew. I changed my insider preview settings to Fast track. I even used my MS account to sign into the VM.

I checked the registry settings as suggested by this article and ensured everything there was correct. Even after all this, I still did not receive the 14316 build.

I diligently checked my machine multiple times per day. I manually checked for updates. I restarted the machine several times. I changed my settings to developer mode. Even after following all these steps, I still did not receive the build.

Finally! Today, after a week of waiting, I logged into the VM, and the build was there. I do not believe any of this extra work I did helped....but I did learn some stuff from this, so it was not a complete waste of time. I think I would have received the build if I would have just left my VM as it was and kept waiting.

tldr - From my experience, I think the best advice is to just be patient and wait. If you have waited a significant amount of time (2 weeks), then maybe look into the other solutions.

Alex Chance, Dec 30, 2019
Thema:

Can't seem to escape the Insider Preview Build program

1. Can't seem to escape the Insider Preview Build program - Similar Threads - Can't seem escape

2. Can't seem to leave the Insider Program

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't seem to leave the Insider Program: I want to leave the Insider Program because some software I use isn't compatible with Insider Builds. The Windows Insider Program panel in Settings shows that I'm not enrolled but I still get alerts telling me that an Insider Preview of Windows 11 is available 10.0.22621.590...
  3. Can't seem to leave the Insider Program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't seem to leave the Insider Program: I want to leave the Insider Program because some software I use isn't compatible with Insider Builds. The Windows Insider Program panel in Settings shows that I'm not enrolled but I still get alerts telling me that an Insider Preview of Windows 11 is available 10.0.22621.590...
  4. Can't seem to leave the Insider Program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't leave insider preview build.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't leave insider preview build.: Whenever I unlink my account from insider preview builds it says "Your device is set up to get Insider Preview Builds". Even after opting out and unlinking my account from insider preview I still get updates when I use the check for updates option. I am currently on windows...
  6. Can't leave insider preview build.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't leave insider preview build.: Whenever I unlink my account from insider preview builds it says "Your device is set up to get Insider Preview Builds". Even after opting out and unlinking my account from insider preview I still get updates when I use the check for updates option. I am currently on windows...
  7. Can't leave insider preview build.

8. insider preview builds

insider preview builds: i have tried multiple time to disable the insider preview builds but after i do and leave the page and go back the settings have reverted https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/insider-preview-builds/e7124306-1cee-4430-925e-0a91a104ccd4
  9. same **** that seems to plague every one via insiders preview build

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    same **** that seems to plague every one via insiders preview build: computer boots normaly then bluescreen pops up says need to restart insider preview build ran into a problem needs restart collecting info /stopcode that happens 2 times then ok for a while now its gotten worse keeps restarting and now says system thread excerption not...
  10. Windows 10 Insider program - no longer getting preview builds

Windows 10 Insider program - no longer getting preview builds: I have a laptop running Windows 10. I purchased a full version and upgraded from Windows 7. I signed up to get insider preview builds. The last one I got was in August and is: Evaluation Copy, Build 18219.rs_prerelease. 180810-1721. For some reason my choice of "skip ahead"...