Windows 10: Can't seem to find %systemroot%\system32\imageres.dll to change shortcut icon. When I...

Discus and support Can't seem to find %systemroot%\system32\imageres.dll to change shortcut icon. When I... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/buttbanger69 [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/buttbanger69, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Can't seem to find %systemroot%\system32\imageres.dll to change shortcut icon. When I...

/u/buttbanger69, Jan 14, 2021
  2. SJ12_6 Win User

[.ShellClassInfo] LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21769 IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-183

I have a file called Desktop which has this displayed in it:

[.ShellClassInfo]

LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21769

IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-183

Since this last update, my computer has been slow and very glitchy. I am wondering if this may have something to do with it. Any suggestions on what to do with the file? Thanks for your help.

SJ

SJ12_6, Jan 14, 2021
  3. How do I add new icons to the SystemRoot%\System32\shell32.dll on my computer?

Hi Mitchell,

The icons found in SystemRoot%\System32\shell32.dll are by default. Only .dll files can be used as icons, you need to use a third party software that can convert/create your .png files to .dll.

Don't hesitate to post back should you have any other concerns.

Regile Reb, Jan 14, 2021
  4. Can't seem to find %systemroot%\system32\imageres.dll to change shortcut icon. When I...

Change the default icon for shortcuts in a specifc folder

Two steps are needed.

• Remove the arrow on all shortcuts:
      • In Regedit, open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
      • Create a new key, Shell Icons.
      • Under that key, create a new string value, 29.
      • Set the value for that new value to %windir%\System32\shell32.dll,-50.
      • Reboot to see the shortcut icons without overlay.

This Registry hack to remove the arrow works only temporarily in Windows 10 ver. 1803. An alternative is to substitute a plain background icon, which can be downloaded from Winaero.com, and set its location in the the REG_SZ 29 as above... or use the Winaero Tweaker.

• Change the icon for each folder and icon.

Can't seem to find %systemroot%\system32\imageres.dll to change shortcut icon. When I... zcdQY.png

• Right click on the folder or icon.
      • Select Properties.
      • For a shortcut, on the Shortcut tab, or for a folder, on the Customize tab, select Change icon....
      • Select the icon if shown, or browse to a file such as %SystemRoot%\System32\SHELL32.dll to select another icon.
        Note that a shortcut to a customized shortcut or folder inherits the new icon, but the new shortcut can in turn be customized to yet another icon.

DrMoishe Pippik, Jan 14, 2021
Thema:

Can't seem to find %systemroot%\system32\imageres.dll to change shortcut icon. When I...

1. Can't seem to find %systemroot%\system32\imageres.dll to change shortcut icon. When I... - Similar Threads - Can't seem find

2. Can't seem to change taskbar icon colors anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't seem to change taskbar icon colors anymore: I recently switched my taskbar icon colors to red, but after switching to Windows 11 it seems that only Microsoft Outlook has a red icon color:How do I go about changing this? Couldn't find anything at all in the colors settings under "Personalization," which I'm certain is...
  3. Can't seem to change taskbar icon colors anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't seem to change taskbar icon colors anymore: I recently switched my taskbar icon colors to red, but after switching to Windows 11 it seems that only Microsoft Outlook has a red icon color:How do I go about changing this? Couldn't find anything at all in the colors settings under "Personalization," which I'm certain is...
  4. Can't change shortcut icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't change shortcut icon: I keep a shortcut for File Explorer on my desktop. Until the last Win10 update last week, it displayed the icon I selected for it under Properties, Change Icon. Now it displays a blank icon on the desktop, and won't display the one I choose for it, even thought the Properties...
  5. I can't seem to find an app for that

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't seem to find an app for that: Hi, I'm trying to find an app that autamatically displays screenshot that I've taken in less than 1 second after they've been taken. It can autamatically paste it to paint or display it in photos app it just has be very quick. An open source solution would be muchly...
  6. Changed shortcut icon.

Changed shortcut icon.: Hello, I have just had a strange experience with my desktop icons. All my dektop shortcuts had their little arrow icon changed into a black character with a waving hand on a white background. It covered most of the icon behind it. However after I reset Windows Explorer, the...
  7. [.ShellClassInfo] LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell 32.dll,-21787

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    [.ShellClassInfo] LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell 32.dll,-21787: Appears at Log in Will it affect my machine if I delete it? What does it do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shellclassinfo/efb80616-cde8-45d6-baaf-3bb4d3b3d0f2
  8. Changing a Shortcut Icon

Changing a Shortcut Icon: I'd like to change the icon of a Google docs shortcut from the standard Microsoft Edge logo to the actual Google docs logo. Is this possible, as if so how do I do this? Thank you...
  9. Shortcut icons change

Shortcut icons change: My PC has crashed on reboot. I had to turn it off by pressing and holding the power button. Then I turned on my PC but the shortcut icons have changed. They have an arrow now. But my computer is working without any other problems...
  10. Icon for pinned shortcut changes when I click on it

Icon for pinned shortcut changes when I click on it: If you pin an item to the taskbar, you can change the icon for that pinned item. Right? No problem. My issue is that when I click on that pinned item, the icon I chose for the shortcut goes away and Windows displays the icon coded into this particular .EXE file. I cannot...