Windows 10: Can’t seem to give new computer permissions to access host shared file

Discus and support Can’t seem to give new computer permissions to access host shared file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I’ve been doing this all day long. I can’t seem to get it to work. I’ve followed several tutorials, added the user to the work group and nothing seems... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by HonorGamer, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Can’t seem to give new computer permissions to access host shared file

I’ve been doing this all day long. I can’t seem to get it to work. I’ve followed several tutorials, added the user to the work group and nothing seems to work.

When I go to the share permissions for the host file, the computer/user isn’t showing up at all.

:)

HonorGamer, Aug 8, 2019

2. cannot access file/or permissions

I have a file i need to run on Windows 7 Home Premium. I get the error message saying "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

So I right click and choose Properties to access the permissions but I cannot. In the Security tab I get a message saying, " You do not have permission to view or edit this objects permission settings.".

Next I boot into the Windows 7 Hidden Administrator Mode - and even with this I get all the same error messages.

Please help me as I really need to run This file.

John Phoenix, Aug 8, 2019
  3. j.col70 Win User
    j.col70, Aug 8, 2019
  4. Kursah Win User

Can’t seem to give new computer permissions to access host shared file

File sharing help

On the server click Start, type Computer Management or right click start and choose Computer Management from the utility menu.

Bring up the management console, select Shared Folders > Shares.

Are your shares in there? If so what permissions did you give them. Permissions are given to domain users and domain groups when you setup a Windows domain. Now that doesn't mean that other systems have to be joined to the domain but might need to access by using credentials with the username "domain\username" or "domain\security group".

If you want your home theater system to see the shared folders, you need to setup the share permissions to also include Everyone. While this is strongly not suggested in a domain environment, sometimes it is also tough to avoid. Seeing that it appears you're doing this as a home lab type of setup you should be alright.

Can you access the server via UNC path on your laptop? Open File Explorer, in the address bar type: \\your-server-name

If so can you see any shares? Does it ask for a password if you try to access the server and/or shares you can see? If you need your home theater system to see the folder you need to give it open access.

To confirm share settings, right click the folder you want to share, click Properties. Click the Share tab, then click the Advanced Sharing button. Check the box to "Share this folder". Next click permissions and confirm Everyone is checked with at least Read permissions.

If you will need more permissions then you can choose to do so here with the simpler permission options before having to dig into NTFS permissions. Hopefully read-only will get the job done for Everyone and you can select a security group or specific user or domain admin to have Change and/or Full Access permissions to the share over the network.

Let me know if that helps. *Toast :toast:

Kursah, Aug 8, 2019
Thema:

Can’t seem to give new computer permissions to access host shared file

1. Can’t seem to give new computer permissions to access host shared file - Similar Threads - Can’t seem computer

2. Permission settings hosts file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permission settings hosts file: Hi all,Can anyone tell me what the default permissions are for the windows hosts file.I am talking about:1 ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES2 ALL RESTRICTED PACKAGES3 Users device name\UsersI have 1 set to:Read & executeRead2 is set to:Read & executeRead3 is set to:Read & executeReadI...
  3. Permission settings hosts file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Permission settings hosts file: Hi all,Can anyone tell me what the default permissions are for the windows hosts file.I am talking about:1 ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES2 ALL RESTRICTED PACKAGES3 Users device name\UsersI have 1 set to:Read & executeRead2 is set to:Read & executeRead3 is set to:Read & executeReadI...
  4. Permission settings hosts file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Host Computer can't share Quickbook files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Host Computer can't share Quickbook files.: Have Quickbook QB files stored on host computer sharing to one workstation. After upgrading to Windows 11, the host computer will no longer allow access to the QB files in the Documents folder. I have tried Geek Squad and QB tech support. No resolutions yet....
  6. Host Computer can't share Quickbook files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Host Computer can't share Quickbook files.: Have Quickbook QB files stored on host computer sharing to one workstation. After upgrading to Windows 11, the host computer will no longer allow access to the QB files in the Documents folder. I have tried Geek Squad and QB tech support. No resolutions yet....
  7. File Sharing Permissions

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Sharing Permissions: I am trying to share files between two WIN 10 1909 PCs, and have set all the sharing options according to instructions. I am still getting an error on both that they do not have the required permissions. I have enabled file sharing with Everyone - read, write, everything....
  8. All the file/folder access permissions File Sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All the file/folder access permissions File Sharing: Is there any way to see the file permissions I have edited? or all the file permissions on disc drive? I'm trying to use File sharing to transfer some files to another computer via LAN cable, so I have given about 15-20 folders Read/Write access from any user, now I'm done...
  9. Permission issues to access files shared over a network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Permission issues to access files shared over a network: From computer B, I don't have permission to access a path on computer A. However certain folders on computer A show up on computer B and are accessible. On computer A the folder has been set to share. Kaspersky on computer A has been temporarily disabled. Why are some...
  10. No permission to change hosts file ?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    No permission to change hosts file ?: I have changed from W7 to W10 but find that although I am logged in as the administrator, I am unable to save any changes to my hosts file and get the message that I don't have accees/permission and should contact the administrator. Can anyone advise me as to what's going on...