Windows 10: Can't select 5.1 sound

Discus and support Can't select 5.1 sound in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I would like to turn on 5.1, but as of now I can not. This is my setup, GTX 1080<-HDMI-> Samsung TV RU8000 2019 <-HDMI ARC-> Onkyo TX-NR809. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by davidkern1, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Can't select 5.1 sound

Hi, I would like to turn on 5.1, but as of now I can not. This is my setup,

GTX 1080<-HDMI-> Samsung TV RU8000 2019 <-HDMI ARC-> Onkyo TX-NR809. This won't be changed, the receiver is to old and does not put out anything higher then 60Hz, and the whole reason I bought this TV is because it can do 2560x1440 120hz, so if it comes down to it I will just live with "all channel stereo," before running the PC through the receiver first.

I tried using the Realtek optical port on my MB, and switching it on my receiver, but that gave me no sound at all, and in Windows speaker setup the only option was "off" or Windows Sonic.

As of right now the Samsung is the default sound output and Windows doesn't even know about about the receiver. So Windows only sees a two channel output. Basically I need a way to force Windows to allow and push 5.1.

:)

davidkern1, Feb 16, 2020

2. Sound problem

Hi,

We need to investigate further so that we can identify the cause of the issue. We suggest running the Troubleshooter and see if it helps. Follow the steps below:

• Type and select Troubleshooting on the Search bar/Cortana.
    • Click Hardware and Sound.
    • Select Playing Audio under Sound.
    • Follow the steps that will be provided.
    If the steps does not work. We suggest downloading a fresh copy of the audio driver from Realtek and see if it helps.

Looking forward to your response.

Radney Dri, Feb 16, 2020
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Good surround sound headset

I know you say you're not that guy, but stepping into the $250+ range really brings a change in build quality that might have you never having to buy another set. Otherwise, getting 6 speakers with decent sound in a headset is hard, and that's what you are asking for, and I have no suggestions, but just a bump up the list. *Stick Out Tongue Can't select 5.1 sound :p

cadaveca, Feb 16, 2020
  4. Can't select 5.1 sound

Sound Issues

Hi Junior,

The change on the sound quality of your device after the recent update can be related to an incompatible driver. As an initial step to resolve your concern, we suggest that you update your driver by following these steps:

• Type Device Manager in the search box.
    • Press Enter.
    • Click the drop-down arrow for Sound, video and game controllers to view the driver.
    • Right-click the installed sound driver and select Properties.
    • Click the Driver tab.
    • Select Update Driver to update your sound driver.
    • If the driver is updated, you can reinstall the existing driver by repeating steps
      1 to 5.
    • This time, select Uninstall.
    • After uninstalling the driver, restart your device to automatically reinstall the driver.

Let us know should you need further assistance.

Darwin Dim, Feb 16, 2020
Thema:

Can't select 5.1 sound

1. Can't select 5.1 sound - Similar Threads - Can't select sound

2. Cant select spatial sound

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant select spatial sound: I have a hyper x cloud 2 my computer is hp omen 16 gb ram rtx 3070 8gb vram rzyen 9 5900hx and its running on windows 11 first months the spatial sound was working really well that i didnt even realised it was on then something happened and it turned off for some reason and i...
  3. Cant select spatial sound

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant select spatial sound: I have a hyper x cloud 2 my computer is hp omen 16 gb ram rtx 3070 8gb vram rzyen 9 5900hx and its running on windows 11 first months the spatial sound was working really well that i didnt even realised it was on then something happened and it turned off for some reason and i...
  4. Can't enable spatial sound on acer nitro 5 laptop speakers.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't enable spatial sound on acer nitro 5 laptop speakers.: Hello. I have a problem. I can't enable spatial sound for acer nitro 5 laptop speakers. I have already tried disabling sound enhancements, but the function is still not active. Help me fix this please....
  5. Can't enable spatial sound on acer nitro 5 laptop speakers.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't enable spatial sound on acer nitro 5 laptop speakers.: Hello. I have a problem. I can't enable spatial sound for acer nitro 5 laptop speakers. I have already tried disabling sound enhancements, but the function is still not active. Help me fix this please....
  6. Tecknet 5 in 1 button software

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Tecknet 5 in 1 button software: i dont know how to remove it as i cannot find it and it is affecting my gameplay greatly as i cannot use my side mouse buttons, so how can i fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tecknet-5-in-1-button-software/032eca34-4a2b-4894-be4b-f1287071aa56
  7. hy im windows 10 no sound in system 5+1 no sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hy im windows 10 no sound in system 5+1 no sound: im windows 10 no sound in system 5+1 no sound https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hy-im-windows-10-no-sound-in-system-51-no-sound/dfcd0bea-d64e-4d4a-8d22-a1d756aec611
  8. S-1-5-18

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    S-1-5-18: This keeps populating after fresh start. Multiple administrators and appears to be multiple OS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/s-1-5-18/55087d33-da58-4357-a471-15b6c3754c25
  9. multi channel sound not selectable in sound panel

in Windows 10 Customization
    multi channel sound not selectable in sound panel: An audio/video receiver is connected to the PC via HDMI. Speakers options for 5.1 and 7.1 are greyed (not selectable), do you know how to make them selectable otherwise only stereo format is decoded by the hometheater receiver?...
  10. Select Remove device for 1/5 networked printers on only 1 computer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Select Remove device for 1/5 networked printers on only 1 computer?: Is it safe to select Remove device for 1/5 networked printers on only one computer? Where I volunteer I help maintain a computer for volunteers & visitors. There are 5 networked printers. The office wants only 1 of the printers in use from this computer. --- The one at the...